Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which computer course to do

• 18-05-2010 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

I'm about a month away from sitting my leaving and I really amn't sure which way to fill my CAO out just yet..

All i'm sure of is that I want to work with computers but I'm unsure whether I'd rather work with the programming side of things or the hardware side

I'm thinking of putting Computer Science UCD or computer Applications in DCU as first choices but I'm really undecided with which to put first.. I've also looked at course in DIT but I'm just really undecided

Basically I'd like to do a course that could prepare me for working with software primarily but in case the jobs situation is on the poor side when I get out of college in 4 years I'd like to know enough about the hardware side of things so I could look into working as a computer technician if needs be

any advice guys would be really appreciated..

PS.... I'm have to go to college in Dublin due to transport issues... :o so any possible courses have to be in the Dublin region

Thanks Guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

The whole idea of having hardware repairs as a safety net is pretty odd predicting the job market is silly.....

But anyway!...

If you want to do the hardwarey end, do engineering, you'll get taught to program as well. And you could do a MSc in Software Engineering or something.

If you want to program and do the theoretical end of computers, so Comp Sci.

Comp Sci in UCD wont really prepare you for a job specifically, most university courses dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

It's not just as a safety net but I'm just something else to keep my options open

it's just that I'm really unsure as to which course to go for because I'm not 100% sure what way I want to go on in the future... be it the hardware or the software routes...

Basically I want the course that's the equivalent of arts for computers basically...

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

I've just finished 3rd year of computer science in UCD. It is mainly focused around the software development side of things, beginning with Java in first year, and moving onto others as you progress. There is also the occasional hardware module, but these are focused around hardware design, if you wanted to work as a computer technician, you could do a short course outside of college or else just educate yourself on this. If you have any more questions just send me a PM.
    Good Luck in the exams btw. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

You could try looking at Electronic and Computer Engineering.

You'll learn both about hardware and how to program.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Computer applications in DCU teaches both hardware and softwear I believe. If you want to work with computers you will probably have to do some programming. Look at the job sites, TONS of jobs involving programming.

• Advertisement
Advertisement