Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire Brigade Emergency First Responder Training

Options
  • 18-05-2010 7:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭

hi. has anyone been trained in first response by the dublin fire brigade? if so, was the course good, what instructors did you have and how long did it last? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

I know a group currently doing the EFR course this week with medicall (instructors are dfb) and 2 doing EMT in the Obi (again with medicall but dfb instructors)

Good reviews from everyone that's concerned so far regarding presntation and the instructors themselfs, EFR is only a week long course so thats all it should last.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

its a 40 hour course monday-friday. you'll learn a nice bit and its interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DublinRescuer

Hey.. I was wondering if dfb or other places hold EFR courses for individuals and not company based people... And also how much it is... I'm in dublin by the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

A good few companies run EFR training for private individuals, Im not sure if links to them can be posted but expect to pay in the region of €500 to €700 for the course

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DublinRescuer

oh my god you are the most perfect!

Thank you.. Been looking for so long and turned out cheaper than i thought too haha...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Tango November.

eireal wrote: »
    A good few companies run EFR training for private individuals, Im not sure if links to them can be posted but expect to pay in the region of €500 to €700 for the course

Join the Red Cross for €10 a year it covers all your courses, but they are only going to EMT

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Red Dwarf

It is not as simple as paying yearly membership to the Red Cross, Order of Malta etc. and getting placed on all courses. These organisations are looking for volunteers who will get engaged in the activites of the org. e.g first adi duties at sporting/social events, training of younger members, fundraising. So if you want to use the vol. org to get your EFR/EMT you will have to be willing to get involved with the organisation.

"but they are only going to EMT where as the Civil Defence are gone or going to Paramedic level." Civil Defence may be willing to get CPG approval for all levels from CFR to AP, but I doubt very much they will be training Paramedics. :confused:

Join the Red Cross for €10 a year it covers all your courses, but they are only going to EMT where as the Civil Defence are gone or going to Paramedic level.

not being bad mate but i highly doubt that they will in the forseeable future.. the ammount of training required is impractical by a vol org. then theres placements internship etc and cost!

not being bad mate but i highly doubt that they will in the forseeable future.. the ammount of training required is impractical by a vol org. then theres placements internship etc and cost!

I am in the red cross myself and when i finish school i want to be a paramedic ., the red cross has now gone up to EMT we now have 2 HSE Paramedics,2 EMT's 4 EFR's and 6 OFA's in our unit , Thats not bad for a VOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Join the Red Cross for €10 a year it covers all your courses, but they are only going to EMT where as the Civil Defence are gone or going to Paramedic level.

i love these rumours! they haven't gone down this route yet...and they won't go down this route, there's too much involved with gaining the Paramedic qualification. None of the private schools have Paramedic accreditation yet and they would be the first I'd put my money on as offering Paramedic training outside of NASC/OBI, not the vols.

CD will probably apply for CPG recognition at P/AP level, but training to that level will never reach the vols. And rightly so, you need to be working as a P or AP to stay up-to-date and safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

No vol is getting Paramedic level, ever. Not because they can't or don't want to, but because it is entirely impractical. Placements being the biggest hurdle.

Red Dwarf is right, it's not a case of paying a fee and doing courses! You have to be active to get the courses. In OMAC at least, it's three years minimum of active duty before you will be considered for the EMT course. There are interviews aswell I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

Way off the mark on that one all you have to do is look up www.phecc.ie to see who is registered to provide paramedic training

on a dif note, if i was gong to UK to dothe Paramedic course is it beter then here i herard it was as there P.med is A.P here.

UK Paramedic training isn't "better"...our Paramedic qual is similar to their Technician qual, and our AP qual is similar to their Paramedic qual. To get recognition here as a UK trained Tech/Paramedic you would have to apply to PHECC for recognition of equivalency of qualification before being allowed to register here as a P/AP.

BTW, most UK Amb Trusts are now looking to recruit Paras from the degree programmes run by universities in the UK. This is the way to go if you are interested in going to the UK to study.

"it came from HQ" is a phrase that has no meaning anymore unless you have a copy of a memo or something. Just spoke to lads in CD and none of them know what you're talking about. Don't go spreading unsubstantiated rumours TN, people have landed themselves in hot water on this site and on another forum for doing so. :)

Thanks for that coolmoose !! I would like to with draw my comments on the civil def if its going to cause so much hassel .

But WTF if it was someone with 1200 posts ye would'nt pick on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

TN, just a friendly bit of advice, you share alot of personal information in your posts and username, you have probably narrowed yourself down to 1 of maybe 10 people. It is so easy to learn the rep of a whacker and so hard to shift it. I would assume the recognition to P/AP was related to implimentation of CPG and not the teaching.

The other thing I feel I should mention to those looking at private courses, once you qualify you have to be a member fo some CPG organisation to be aloud use most of the skills and drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

It appears that PHECC may be doing a review of private training companies, as some of their students are not very well versed in all of the skills required to practice at the various levels. In particular, with EMT they have become aware that some students are only being taught enough to pass the exam and are in no way competent at non exam skills.

Jee's i may calm down a bit , I am only in secondary skul nd i just want to be a paramedic..

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

wexfjord wrote: »
    It appears that PHECC may be doing a review of private training companies, as some of their students are not very well versed in all of the skills required to practice at the various levels. In particular, with EMT they have become aware that some students are only being taught enough to pass the exam and are in no way competent at non exam skills.
    I've come across this problem, I think it's a good idea. Maybe the problem isn't really with the training companies as much as it is with the students, skills they have gained on the courses need to practised. I know EMT's can't really get paid work at the moment but there is always the vols it will give some opportunity to use these skills both on duties and regular training sessions.

i think thats an exellent idea on phecc's behalf. i'd be here typing til tomorow if i went on about the for-profit private training companies.

also tn, even if you had 1 million posts i reckon we all still would of had a go of the band wagon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

The point i was alluding to earlier on was that PHECC may well be putting the blame on the training companies. There is a belief out there that they are teaching the bare minimum to get people through the exam without following the full curriculum. They are skipping things that are on the EFR course and anyone who has no experience or has not done EFR is at a loss when it comes to real life situations.

I would be a little worried if there are people out there who can call themselves EMT who were never trained properly, regardless of who trained them.

Training requirements for future courses by privates and vols will be alot stricter, or so I'm told.

Thanks for that coolmoose !! I would like to with draw my comments on the civil def if its going to cause so much hassel .

But WTF if it was someone with 1200 posts ye would'nt pick on them.

I'm certainly not picking on you, it's a bit of friendly advice, most posters here are ES staff (Gardai, Paras, FFs etc.) and a LOT are involved with the vols, some at high levels including training and development. Therefore coming on here and saying you "heard from HQ" or other things like that only gets some people's backs up.

You're in secondary school, you want to be a Paramedic - great. Then use this forum to find out all you can and ask relevant questions...but remember you are not ES personnel, so don't provide answers or info to posters unless you are 100% positive - it will only lead to "hassle" for you. Like I said, friendly advice, take it as you wish.

oh and BTW, 1200 or 12 posts - it makes no difference TN!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Jee's i may calm down a bit , I am only in secondary skul nd i just want to be a paramedic..

Please refrain from using "txt spk" please

Thanks
    NGA

Advertisement