Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is their anyway to make celery less disgusting?

Options
  • 18-05-2010 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭

I want to add celery to my diet but it just tastes way too strong for me. I don't normally have my food in big main meals I kind of just ea throughout the day so I'm not really interested in bug complicated dishes or anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Use it to make tasty tasty gravy!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Use it to make tasty tasty gravy!!:D
    I kind of want to be eating more than that though. Like sticks of the stuff.

I normally eat most of my veg raw but just can't stomach celery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

I'm gonna try this tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

For raw celery, fill the celery stick hollow with cream cheese or peanut butter. You can dot the peanut butter filled one with raisins. I think this is called "ants on a log."

For cooked celery, make celery soup. Or poach it in butter.

In classical French cooking, celery is peeled to remove the indigestible fibres, so you could try it that way to see if it makes them any more palatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Braise it in stock with garlic and bacon - this is yumm

Blend it with onions and garlic to make a paste and add it to tomato sauces (you won't taste it!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

We usually make celery and white sauce and have it with potatoes and other veg/meat.

It's really really nice. Sometimes if there's gravy, I'll mix some celery and white sauce with the gravy and it's delicious.

I've heard my auntie saying before she gets some dip (I can't remember the name, but it starts with 'tara') and she dips the celery (and other raw veg) into it. She said it's really nice.

Don't know if this is any help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's part of the base aromatics in nearly all french cooking (along with onion and carrot), so eat more of that; and there's also celery seed drinks...

obAlton:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Celery goes really nicely with the sauce on the "franks hot sauce" type chicken wings, or with a honey and mustard dip.

It's also not bad as part of a Waldorf salad.

I agree that it is manky when cooked...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Or make celeriac mash and pan-seared duck breasts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

I've heard my auntie saying before she gets some dip (I can't remember the name, but it starts with 'tara') and she dips the celery (and other raw veg) into it. She said it's really nice.

Would that be Taramasalata ? The greek dip made from cods roe.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I've heard my auntie saying before she gets some dip (I can't remember the name, but it starts with 'tara') and she dips the celery (and other raw veg) into it. She said it's really nice..]/QUOTE]
    dubh101 wrote: »
    Would that be Taramasalata ? The greek dip made from cods roe.:)
    That could be it, but I am not sure as I cannot remember the name.

Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Clementine

Celery goes nicely with Cajun Chicken and rice. Its coolness balances out the spiciness!

Or you could make an apple and celery salad? Healthy and tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Cover it in the wing sauce & blue cheese dip in E&C. That's how I started eating it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

SugarHigh wrote: »
    I want to add celery to my diet but it just tastes way too strong for me.
    You may have a sort of allergy to it, I despise cucumber & celery, if it was in a sandwich and removed I still can taste it a mile off. Not sure if cerlery has the same stuff as cucumber

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucumber#Taste
    There appears to be variability in the human olfactory response to cucumbers, with the majority of people reporting a mild, almost watery flavor or a light melon taste, while a small but vocal minority report a highly repugnant taste, some say almost perfume-like. The presence of the organic compound phenylthiocarbamide is believed to cause the bitter taste.

Various practices have arisen with regard to how bitterness may be removed from cucumbers. Among these a very common and popular practice popular in India includes slicing off the ends of a cucumber, sprinkling some salt and rubbing the now-exposed ends of said cucumber with the sliced-off ends until it appears to froth. Another such urban legend states that one ought to peel a cucumber away from the end that was once attached to a vine, otherwise one risked spreading the bitterness throughout the cucumber.[2]

I LOVE pickled gerkins though. Curry sauce can mask tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Could dip sticks of celery & raw carrots into some humous?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 karen86

Tiny bits in a lovely pasta salad or a soup. It blends in with everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Are you eating the green tops or the white bottom halves op?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

rubadub wrote: »
    You may have a sort of allergy to it, I despise cucumber & celery, if it was in a sandwich and removed I still can taste it a mile off. Not sure if cerlery has the same stuff as cucumber

I have this cucumber taster gene aswell! Cucumbers taste nasty. And I love gherkins, too. I reckon the vinegar overpowers the cucumber.

I'm not mad about celery either, but it's not bad with hummus or blue cheese dip.

I'm going to make every, single Recipe of the Week installment... but I might balk if one week it's cucumber soup or something! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

No, it's vile!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

would you not just eat them raw, don't bother cooking them? I find they're a bit more palatable that way.

Alternatively, if you're making a veg-based soup or a veg/chicken stock, you could throw in some celery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

you can chop it finely and use it in spag bol and cottage pie.

mix it with other crudites

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

It's fairly awful stuff alright - even the smell of it cooking depresses me. One of the worst aspects, I've found, is the stringy texture. However, you can avoid the tough fibres sprigging unattractively out of your casserole, or whatever, by taking a potato peeler to the raw stalk and quickly running it over the outer edges. It's a tip I picked up from a US salad recipe, and I can now convince myself I'm not eating celery, even if it's in a salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

rubadub wrote: »

I have this cucumber taster gene aswell! Cucumbers taste nasty. And I love gherkins, too. I reckon the vinegar overpowers the cucumber.

I'm not mad about celery either, but it's not bad with hummus or blue cheese dip.

I'm going to make every, single Recipe of the Week installment... but I might balk if one week it's cucumber soup or something! :D
    Supertasters unite! I can't stand celery or cucumber (or many other strongly flavoured veg). My mother still thinks I'm making up the fact that cucumber tastes of anything.

Love gherkins though. Would eat them till the cows come home.

Advertisement