Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

360 GPU reball - does it really work?

Options
  • 18-05-2010 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭

I've got this banned console, can't be xbrebooted or anything which is unfortunate, but now it'd RROD'ing. I've applied & reapplied the Hybrid X-Clamp replacement but it's E0102'ing after maybe 2 minutes. The board isn't flexed and there are no visible defects under the GPU from looking at it edge-on. Any ideas on what else I can try (e.g. GPU reball). I remember Docentore was going to get a few done, any joy there? Would it be money down the tubes or what do you guys think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Considering it cant be jtag'ed, I dont think it would warrant the costs (unless it could be done pretty cheaply). Have you tried running it outside of the case/opn air environment to see if it lasts any longer? Id prob chance the old towel trick as a last resort if its going rrod no matter what your do...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

yep, I can get it done, mate of mine is doing that for around 60e, but I fully agree with EN on this. If its not jtagble, I would just pick up new xbox. You can't be sure that this will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Yeah, having had a proper think about this it most definitely isn't worth reballing a banned unjtaggable console. Seems like an incredible waste...stupid console!

Cheers docentore, I'll keep you in mind if my jtag goes all RROD on me.

Spare parts ftw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

well if its reballed with leaded solder an a advanced hybrid fix applied and a few cooling mods reballing is a permenant fix,
    because rrod is down to the crummy solder cracking with the heat.
    It might be worth fixing and just keeping untill a new exploit comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

well if its reballed with leaded solder an a advanced hybrid fix applied and a few cooling mods reballing is a permenant fix,
    It might be worth fixing and just keeping until a new exploit comes out.

Heh, that's incredibly optimistic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Heh, that's incredibly optimistic

True. It keeps us jtag owners feeling special too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

Considering it took 4 years to find the last exploit I wouldn't hold my breath. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

i wouldn't hold my breath either tbh but you never know when somebody might find a security hole :D.
    might be optimistic but I have to live in hope ...because i dont want to shell out for another console :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

There is no motivation to do new exploit, the only chance is that either ms will f** up or someone will find something by mistake.

I spoke to the owner of one of the biggest repair workshops in Poland, they do reballs and reflows all the time with proper tools, not heatguns ;)
    He said that reballing is not permanent solution, it gives console second life, but only permanent fix is to get new xbox.
    It is not only to the Pb-free solder, it is also due to bad design in terms of heat dispersion and most important - crappy pcb materials. I dare to say that Ireland suffers more from rrod than i.e. Mexico. Those pcbs are soaking the moisture from the air over some period of time and they flex when used etc.

If you have a broken board do an experiment - put a board on the stove and set it to lets say 1/5 of power. It should heat the board to ~120*C. You will see what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Interesting reading, confirms rumours I heard about moisture..

Does your mate use leaded/lead free solder do ya know?

Spent near 5 weeks trying to figure why Xell/Gentoo boot and run no problem but XBR3/FB/Dashboard cause E74. I was told that Xell etc run because they're not as demanding on the GPU, but the Dashboard is too much to handle (or just connections used are broken) and so causes errors (hence E-XX error codes can still be seen onscreen). Also read that you can run stock kernel with Jtag wires installed, which seems to be true (but not confirmed by myself, hence reball - EDIT: confirmed on my other box just moments ago ;) ).

Oh yeh, sorry for digging up a kinda old post!

• Advertisement
Advertisement