Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hearing and feeling a kind of wobbling sound from back of car.

• 18-05-2010 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

As the title says since Sunday I'm hearing and feeling a kind of wobbling sound from the back of car.

What could this be?:confused:

There is no difference in revs or fuel consumption.

But I just noticed a chunk taken out of the side of one of the back wheels. (see pics) Is this related or just another thing wrong.

The car is a 1996 Mitsubishi Carisma 1.6 GLX & the alloys are from a Rover 200 coupé. (yes they are the right size for the car)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

Well that tyre should be replaced straight away as sidewall damage is dangerous.

Did you clip a kerb or anything lately, what caused that may have damaged trailing arms or anything.

A wobbling sounds isnt a very good discription, does it happen when you brake or normal driving, does it get louder the faster you drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Yes it gets louder as i go faster. I drove from cork to waterford on sunday and for most of the way the roads are is sh**e, full of potholes. No i did not clip a curb.

Could a wheel have come loose?

Yes it gets louder as i go faster. I drove from cork to waterford on sunday and for most of the way the roads are is sh**e, full of potholes. No i did not clip a curb.

Could a wheel have come loose?

normally, if it gets louder as you go faster i means a wheel bearing is gone.

The longer you leave it the louder it will get.

It sounds more like a "Whirring" noise though...

That expensive to fix? (if it is that)

That expensive to fix? (if it is that)

Being honest im not sure, they went in my Ford Focus before and my Father did them for me (Mechanic), took him 15 mins a side.

It involves taking off the wheel hubs..

Id say you might get change from €100.

Again it may not be this as its hard to diagnose something over the net without looking at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

id say youve hit a pothole and bent the alloy and split the tyre..That tyre is deadly, don't drive on it at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

That tyre is ruined, stick the spare on and get it replaced.

Crap. The car was fine until halfway to Waterford so maybe something happened then. Will have it looked at this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can you put the spare on this evening and take it for a spin?

Might do that tomorrow and report back then. Its getting dark now and i will have to find a level surface to change the wheel as our driveway is a gravel slope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

well DONT drive on it....could fail any second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

since Sunday
    Will have it looked at this weekend.
    Might do that tomorrow

arra, shure ..what's the rush :D

It's only like your tyre might burst any second.
    If that's not exciting enough for you ...maybe you want to wait until the whole wobbly wheel overtakes you?

Put on the spare and don't drive that car any further than the next garage to check out exactly what's going on

I worked out what was wrong with the car.

The front driverside wheel was completely loose!!!:eek: as in about to fall off loose! It really did sound like the noise was coming from the back of the car not the front.

I tightened the bolts and checked all the other wheels. I replaced the back wheel (the one with the chunk taken out of the tyre) with the spare and it seems to be driving fine now.

I got the brake discs changed last month so maybe the wheel wasn't tightened properly. I cant say anything though because my mechanic is my girlfriends uncle who does the work dirt cheap and he has bad arthritis (so hard to tighten bolts etc.) I just have to be more careful in the futre.

The loose wheel could have put out the tracking but I think you get that free when you buy 4 new tyres. :rolleyes:

I hope the back alloy I took off isn't bent as it took a lot of force to take it off after the bolts were removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Wheel bolts can work loose after they have been removed & refitted. All tyres fitters recommend that you tighten your wheel bolts after 100 miles or so of driving. Your girlfriend's uncle may have tightened then properly but they worked loose themselves.
    You were taking a huge gamble driving the car form Cork to Waterford! What with the loose wheel & the chunk of of the tyre!

Advertisement