Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

Options
  • 18-05-2010 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Part 2 of The Name Of the Wind
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Name-Wind-Kingkiller-Chronicle-Book/dp/0575081384

Looks Like hes finally set a date,hope he does'nt do a George RR Martin on it.Personally i think he will be as good as his word,as it strikes me he put a lot of thought into this date.

My editor asked me if I could have the book done by September.
    I thought about it. I thought about her 27 points and my ever-changing 50-60 points. I thought about who I can still use as beta readers, and how many drafts I’ll be able go through in four months. I thought about how many times I will personally be able to read the book in four months.
    I said I was sure I could finish it by September.
    She asked me if I was sure. Really sure.
    I thought about it. Back in 2007, I was sure I’d have the book done by 2008. But I was hugely ignorant and optimistic back then. So I was dead ****ing wrong. That caused a lot of grief.
    I told her I was really sure I could have it finished by September.
    Come hell or high water? She asked me.
    Come hell or high water, I said.
    So we agreed that I’d have the book finished by September. It was nice. It made us both happy.
    So that’s part of the news, that I’ll be finished writing The Wise Man’s Fear by September.
    But here’s the rest of the news: that means that the book can’t come out until March of 2011.
    Why? Well, for a bunch of reasons. Mostly because there are a lot of things that have to happen before a mass of text becomes a printed book on a shelf. It needs to be copyedited. The edits need to be confirmed. It needs to be proofed, checked for consistency, fiddled with. Fonts need to be chosen. It needs to go through layout. Then it needs to be proofed again. Marketing needs to happen. It needs to be sent to reviewers, and the reviewers need to have time to read it before they write the reviews. It needs to be put into catalogs of to-be-published-books so people who run bookstores can learn about it and order copies for their stores. It needs to be printed, boxed, warehoused, shipped. We need to sacrifice a black she-goat and pray to strange and terrible gods. Then we need to proofread again.
    A lot of these steps are going to take longer than normal because my book is 2-3 times longer than most ordinary novels. Other things are going to take longer because this book is kinda important to a lot of people, and we want to make sure everything gets done just right.
    The simple truth of the matter is this: that’s just the way it is. I wish it could be sooner, and I’m guessing many of you feel the same. Believe it or not, if the publisher could wave a magic wand and make that happen, they would. (Remember, they don’t make money on the book until they can sell it.)
    But there’s no way the book can come out earlier and still have it be the best book possible.
    So that’s what happened today: I found out the publication date for The Wise Man’s Fear – March 1st 2011.

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Good news, I read the first one thinking that the series had all been published - looking forward to this one.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Excellent news! "The Name of the Wind" was one of the best fantasy debuts that I've ever read. If I hadn't known better, I'd have sworn Rothfuss had had years of writing experience behind him because it was just so damned polished.

Advertisement