Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Has Two Tiny Claw-Like Things Growing On Her Back - Cause For Concern Or Harmless

Options
  • 18-05-2010 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi,

Just as in the title, a friends dog has had one of these claw-like things on her back - it was very small and we kind of rotated it to see could we get it off (thought it was a bramble at first) and the dog didnt flinch so it mustn't have been painful.
    It came back after a few weeks again and now there is another one, on another part of her back - does anyone know WHAT on earth they could be?
    If you imagine a pups/cats claw its kind of like that and same feel to it.
    They also have a tiny lump at the base of each, from which the 'claw' thing is growing.
    Dog is well looked after (regular washing and groming) and has been wormed recently (after discovery of first 'claw' thing).

Appreciate any help,
    thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I've no idea, but would it be a tick of some sort do you think?
    Did you look at it when you removed the first one?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

prob need to see the vet, but do you have a pic you can post up so we can get a better idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I have no idea either, could you maybe take a photo? I'd suggest asking a vet, because it doesn't sound normal to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

If it is brown then it's a tick and needs to be removed. Get a tweezers and go to the base of the tick and pull. Make sure you get out all of the tick or it will grow again. You should see the head of it and little tiny legs. That's how you know you got it all out. Ticks engorge them selves with your dogs blood. Then treat your dog with drops for ticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I havent a clue either but would love to see a pic!Ticks come to mind first,but theyre not really "claw" like hmmm stumped :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

It sounds like a tick... take her to the vet and make sure. They'll just remove it and give some flea/tick preventatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭juanyjuans

ewwww - sounds creepy. I'd love to see a pic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yuk, as said it's probably ticks. If you are unsure or unsure on how to remove them then get the vet to show you/your friend.
    They tend to drop off though but either way tell your friend to keep an eye on the dog.
    My parents pooch was bitten by a tick and it had fallen off so we didn't see it but she took to shaking and went all wobbly and had to be taken to the vets took her a while to recover. Nasty icky yolks.

Or it could be a cyst or something, curious to find out now, let us know what it turns out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buttercupbee

Thanks for suggestions guys but I definitely dont think its ticks, was at friends house this eve and took a better look - the newest one looks red, like its got blood in it, just as you would see in a dogs claws if they were clear (the quick).

The older one was brown, as though the blood had dried up.
    When that one came off, it was very smooth in texture, felt and looked just like a little 'claw', not as in tick/bug like at all.
    Hoping someone might have an answer before poor dog gets carted off to the vets! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

well ... if it's filled with blood then surely it'd be more of a bloodsucker type thing (i.e. tick) but you say it's not like a tick at all?
    Sounds odd then, I guess to be safe a trip to the vets is in order if this is something that has come back and ye don't know what it is. Do let us know what it is though please :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buttercupbee

Yeah, who knows?! She could well have been nipped by something on her travels, something not seen or visible above the skin, kind of worrying now, I hate to think a litle animal is suffering even slightly!
    Will recommend a visit to vet pronto and will post to let everyone know what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Don't ticks fill up with blood and turn red? I've never seen one, but I'm kinda thinking it could be one too now. Is it sharp and pointed like a claw or just has the kinda appearance of a claw? I'm gonna go look at pictures of ticks . . . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

morganafay wrote: »
    Don't ticks fill up with blood and turn red? I've never seen one, but I'm kinda thinking it could be one too now. Is it sharp and pointed like a claw or just has the kinda appearance of a claw? I'm gonna go look at pictures of ticks . . . :D

Ticks drop off after three days so you will know by that. They are nasty grey things when full...

Easy to remove; and no they do not grow again when any is left in.

We have lived in sheep country many years; the cats come in full of the beasties.. until we realised what they were we thought it was some dreadful dietary problem! you know, like pimples!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Do you have any photos?

Advertisement