Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW recall 122,000 motorcycles worldwide

• 18-05-2010 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭

"BMW is recalling 122,000 of its motorbikes around the world- most for the second time - because of potential brake problems. "

"The motorcycles were manufactured between August 2006 and May 2009. "

"Those involved are the R 1200 GS Adventure model, the R 1200 GS, the R 1200 R, the R 1200 RT, the R 1200 ST and the K 1200 GT."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/10123403.stm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Over the past six years I have had a number of BMW bikes. Each has had at least one recall. All the recalls have been for things which have the potential to fail or which had failed in a limited number of cases. They are usually very minor and do not have a safety impact.

I find BMW's proactive attitute to these things very commendable. Compare this to Toyota or Mercedes recently where their response was to tell customers that they would deal with known issues only when they failed!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 cbrlover

Rosahane wrote: »
    Over the past six years I have had a number of BMW bikes. Each has had at least one recall. All the recalls have been for things which have the potential to fail or which had failed in a limited number of cases. They are usually very minor and do not have a safety impact.

I find BMW's proactive attitute to these things very commendable. Compare this to Toyota or Mercedes recently where their response was to tell customers that they would deal with known issues only when they failed!

Sorry I have to disagree with you on this one.

I bought a new BMW in 2004, it had 2 recalls and I had no end of trouble with it. I found the dealer to be one of the worst companies I ever had to deal with. I kept the bike for less than a year and it spent over 4 months with the dealer.

To show how condescending this dealer was a friend of mine was told there was not a problem with his gearbox it was the boots he was wearing. They were not BMW boots and should be. Then the following week on a 3month old bike the gearbox clapped out while away for a trip in the UK.

Than in 2008 I decided to try BMW again. I found another dealer and guess what this one was worse than the last. Again the bike spent almost as much time with the dealer than it did with me. Of the 4 replacement bikes I got from them 3 broke down and the one that stayed going was not a BMW.

As for your comments about the recalls,
    “They are usually very minor and do not have a safety impact”
    Most problems on a motorcycle have a major safety impact “two wheels” and for this
    to be a second recall for breaks on these bikes just goes to show what BMW think of
    their customer’s safety.

Rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Rosahane

cbrlover wrote: »
    Sorry I have to disagree with you on this one.

I bought a new BMW in 2004, it had 2 recalls and I had no end of trouble with it. I found the dealer to be one of the worst companies I ever had to deal with. I kept the bike for less than a year and it spent over 4 months with the dealer.

To show how condescending this dealer was a friend of mine was told there was not a problem with his gearbox it was the boots he was wearing. They were not BMW boots and should be. Then the following week on a 3month old bike the gearbox clapped out while away for a trip in the UK.

Than in 2008 I decided to try BMW again. I found another dealer and guess what this one was worse than the last. Again the bike spent almost as much time with the dealer than it did with me. Of the 4 replacement bikes I got from them 3 broke down and the one that stayed going was not a BMW.

As for your comments about the recalls,
    “They are usually very minor and do not have a safety impact”
    Most problems on a motorcycle have a major safety impact “two wheels” and for this
    to be a second recall for breaks on these bikes just goes to show what BMW think of
    their customer’s safety.

Rant over.

Right, I'll respond with a saga:)

Luckily, my experiences have been pretty much the opposite. Moving up from a Deauville I bought a second hand RT in 2004, never had a problem. New GS in 2005 and no problems until a 18 year old twit in an Octavia RS side swiped me in traffic. Got it repaired but thought it might be unlucky and traded that in for a demo 2007 GS. Got a really good deal on a new model GS in 2008 and went for it.

Only problem I had was the throttle sticking on the first bike which was replaced immediately and problem with heated grips on the '08 which were also immediately replaced even though the actual problem turned out to be the alloy handlebars fitted to all '08 which sucked out a lot of the heat from the grips:(

Until the end of last year i did between 15 and 20 thousand kilometres a year, year round all weathers.

Any recall or service I've had a loaner bike, ofter something "different" on request:D ...much better service than with the deauville where I had to get a bus in and out of town when I had it serviced:mad:

However, I know people had had problems with BMWs, but I also know people who have had problems with other marques as well.

My point was that BMW are reasonably proactive with the recalls. I appreciate that any potential fault on a bike is serious but, my experience has been, on the whole positive.

Advertisement