Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RACE

Options
  • 18-05-2010 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi guys we have a 15 year old doing his week in RACE in July..all feedback would be greatly appreciated about what happens during the week..all the pros and cons please and thanks.What they are looking for, how hard the work is etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I suppose they're looking at the suitability of the candidate to the job - i.e. whether or not they think that they'll be able to hack the life of a jockey. There's a common misperception among some that the job is glamourous, when it couldn't be further from the truth. Early mornings, hard work, tough fitness regime, proper diet, no such thing as Sundays or Bank Holidays (or even Christmas!) - they need to see that the individual is willing and able for this.

Obviously an ability to learn quickly and on the job is important, too, as an individual's ability to accept and take direction without questioning it unreasonably and their willing to learn from it.

As far as I remember there's a 2 hour fitness session every evening, so it might be an idea for your son to do some fitness at home - even just running every day - so that he won't be wrecked after it.

Dub's comments in the other thread are also worth thinking about it - discipline is very important in all careers, especially racing, so staying out of trouble is important too (but that doesn't mean you can't have fun!).

It's been years since I was at a RACE info session, so I'm not sure how much it's changed, but I think the basic prinicples are probably the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puddie77

convert wrote: »
    I suppose they're looking at the suitability of the candidate to the job - i.e. whether or not they think that they'll be able to hack the life of a jockey. There's a common misperception among some that the job is glamourous, when it couldn't be further from the truth. Early mornings, hard work, tough fitness regime, proper diet, no such thing as Sundays or Bank Holidays (or even Christmas!) - they need to see that the individual is willing and able for this.

Obviously an ability to learn quickly and on the job is important, too, as an individual's ability to accept and take direction without questioning it unreasonably and their willing to learn from it.

As far as I remember there's a 2 hour fitness session every evening, so it might be an idea for your son to do some fitness at home - even just running every day - so that he won't be wrecked after it.

Dub's comments in the other thread are also worth thinking about it - discipline is very important in all careers, especially racing, so staying out of trouble is important too (but that doesn't mean you can't have fun!).

It's been years since I was at a RACE info session, so I'm not sure how much it's changed, but I think the basic prinicples are probably the same.

Thanks Convert i will show him that in the morning. You have been very helpful all week

Advertisement