Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hammer Dulcimer player based in North Dublin

Options
  • 18-05-2010 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi All,

This is my first post in this here forum so please be gentle.

I've been playing the Hammer Dulcimer for the past 14 months and am looking to meet some trad musicians who would be interested in showing me the 'ropes'.

By ropes I mean, suggesting some tunes to learn, ways to make myself known to musicians in my areas and maybe even letting me sit in on a session for a couple of tunes. I'd also be interested in meeting musicians who are interested in writing.

I didn't grow up surrounded by trad music (unfortunately) but over the past couple of years, I have been listening to a fair amount of it. I've only really scratched the surface of what's out there and am in no way a purist or knowledgeable. I am particularly fond of Kila, Alan Stivell and the Bothy band.

My instrument is a 16/15 dusty strings model with dampers spanning 2 and a half octaves.

Thanks,
    David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tarbolton

Hammer dulcimer! Very interesting choice of instrument! Have you heard John Rea?

Anyway I have given the following advice in another forum. I don't know how to refer you to the particular post so I'll simply copy it here:

• Find a good teacher. You can do it on your own but learning from an experienced teacher is exponentially better. (You might have a job finding a dulcimer teacher!)
    • Don't worry about speed. Focus on developing proper technique and precision at slow speeds. Speed will come by itself. Eventually!
    • Join a support group. Find or start a group of learning musicians who will provide mutual support for each other. Trying to join a full speed session can be intimidating for a starter. Ceoltoiri Chluain Tarbh run one such group on Dublin's Northside. Details here. There are others throughout the country.
    • Starter tunes. Here's a few great tunes that are very common and pretty easy to get you going. The notes for these and other tunes can be found on the internet at sites like thesession.org or the ceoltoiri chluain tarbh site
      • Jimmy Wards Jig
      • John McHughs Jig
      • The Kesh Jig
      • Young Tom Ennis
      • The lilting banshee
      • My Darling Asleep
      • The hag at the churn
      • Out in the ocean
      • Rolling in the ryegrass
      • The merry blacksmith

Advertisement