Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1x4 pin 12v connector, when 2x4 pin is needed

Options
  • 18-05-2010 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

'Evening all - quick question: I'm putting together an Intel i5-750 with a Gigabyte Ga-p55a-UD3 motherboard, but my PSU only has a 1x4 pin 12v connector, when the motherboard requires a 2x4 pin job. The PSU's an OCZ StealthXStream 500w. Should I:

Insert the 1x4 pin, boot, and everything will be grand,

or

That's suicide - get a new PSU.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What graphics card do you have?

In any case, if you're not OCing and don't have a crazy-powerful GPU or stacks of hard drives you might be able to get away with it if the mobo will let you. If it refuses to start up without a full EPS12V connector plugged in or you want to OC you'll have to get a more modern PSU. If your finished system (including added draw from any OCing) has hefty power draw (due to powerful graphics, tons of 3.5" HDDs, and so on) you'd need a bigger PSU anyway. But seeing as the SXS500 has something like 36A on the 12V rail you'd get away with a reasonable system if you're not OCing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ljy9fn7qwhgasx

Cheers - 'tis a Sapphire 4670. I gave it a shot and it's booted nicely, all seems well so far. No overclocking for the foreseeable future!

Thanks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Should be fine then if the mobo plays ball, IIRC you can get something like 120W or even 150W off the ATX12V connector and a i5-750 should stay well south of 100W even in Turbo Mode. And that PSU should have more than enough grunt for an i5-750 and HD4670 :)

Advertisement