Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bicycles in apartments

• 18-05-2010 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi
    I am a relative newbie to cycling and loving it. My query is this: I rent an apt in Dublin and keep my bike (which is a Giant Defy and I love it) in the apt. Recently a large sign has gone up in the lobby saying 'House Rules Reminder: No bikes allowed in the apartment building'.
    I can understand that they do not want carpets / walls marked but literally I carry the bike out and it does not touch the carpet in the communal area, and it is immaculately clean. I find this a bit annoying as I keep it in my own space (inside my apt), do not harm anyone taking it in and out, so whats the problem?
    Also, my neighbours have a pram sitting in the communal area - not that I mind a whit - but if a pram is allowed in why not a bike?
    Am I getting unjustifiably pissed off about this? I do not want to leave it chained to the gates outside I know it would be stolen in 2 days flat. I do not want to have to move apt either though. What are other peoples experiences? Are bikes in apts a general no no or are my management company particularly picky?
    Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ignore them, as you say if you leave it anywhere else it will get stolen and management company will say it's nothing to do with them.

Is there anything in your lease about bicycles not allowed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Thinfin

I didnt sign a lease - I just have an agreement with the landlady, I am a model tenant as far as she would be concerned. I just want to keep the dam bike in the apt and not feel like a delinquent if I meet anyone in the lobby carrying it in and out....or that the oul biddy on the management committee upstairs is monitoring my movements :rolleyes:

Edit: There is a line in the house rules about not having bikes in the apt. As I said tho it is definitely not causing any harm on the way in or out so I am just looking to see if this is a general rule in apt blocks and if so are people held to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

My personal take on this would be that they're trying to prevent people storing bikes in the communal areas. As long as you're not leaving the bike in the communal areas (which you're not) and as long as transporting the bike through the communal areas isn't damaging same, then I'd say you're in the clear.

Anyway, you could just be bringing the bike inside to clean it in the shower (been there, done that).

If your lease says different, consider mentioning it to the landlord. If they're intractable, say you'll move. See what they say then. Important to take a stance and all that.

DFD*

*Don'tFeelDepressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Thinfin wrote: »
    I didnt sign a lease - I just have an agreement with the landlady, I am a model tenant as far as she would be concerned. I just want to keep the dam bike in the apt and not feel like a delinquent if I meet anyone in the lobby carrying it in and out....or that the oul biddy on the management committee upstairs is monitoring my movements :rolleyes:

Edit: There is a line in the house rules about not having bikes in the apt. As I said tho it is definitely not causing any harm on the way in or out so I am just looking to see if this is a general rule in apt blocks and if so are people held to it?

Was/am in the same situation. I got onto my landlady and told her I wasn't going to leave my bikes locked in the underground car park, there isn't even bike stands. I was lucky and got access to a back door leading to my apartment patio, avoiding the common area.

For you, it is useful for if you bump into trouble to be able to say that your landlady has approved your bringing the bike through and if they have a problem, get onto her.

edit - Also just to add that like yourself, I find it frustrating. I'm getting angry thinking about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Ignore that rule. I lived in an apartment block for five years with just such a rule and nobody ever challenged me. I carried the bike rather than wheeled it.

As said already, a good tenant with a bicycle in the apartment is better than a vacant apartment, which is very probably what they're looking at it if they try to enforce it.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Ignore that rule.
    Pithy ;)Thanks for the advice, good to know how others deal / have dealt with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Its one thing saying you didnt read the rules on leases [who does :cool:] but its another thing saying you didnt see the big sign they put up after you started bringing your bike in. One is easy to tell a white lie with, the other is a blatant lie and will probably be called on one day, after that its up to you how much you want to push your luck on it!

I know what you mean though, I started a thread on this a few months ago 'bikes in apartments' or something like that it was called. I feel your pain :P
    I managed to find a place which didnt mind though :cool:

As I said, I carried my bike past a notice everyday for five years without incident. If they really get pissy, get a Brompton and bring it in folded in a 100L garbage bag.

If they do have words with you promise not to do it again, and just keep doing it. It's an idiotic rule; if you're carrying your bike, what difference are you making to the common area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

We bought a mat and plastic under-rug thingy from Ikea, We keep the bikes ontop of the mat and lean them up against the plastic yoke. That way if the landlord comes over they can see that we're not damaging the paint, dripping mud, whatever landlords worry about.

That way your landlady is even less likely to give you any sort of grief over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Are there no cycle lock ups, in the underground/car park? There is possibly a room you can get key access to, I have seen this in a few apartment blocks, save you a bit of room too.

While i can see where you are coming from you say you are a tenant, If I was an owner and i saw you carrying your bike, I'd probably think thats going to end up at least on one if not more occasions taking lumps out of walls and door frames, which owners would then have to fork out for to repair.

So it cant be one law for you and another for everyone else.

I have seen some Continental apt blocks which had excellent storage, entirely seperate rooms for each apt and they also follow the rules.

Here the infrastructure (of an apt) may not be suitable nor can we follow the rules??
    I'd be unhappy at prams and the like in hallways, hence why I have no intention of going living in an apt

I am sure you are the exception, but if you break that rule, what happens when someone else breaks a rule you dont like them breaking, like constant noise??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Merch wrote: »
    Are there no cycle lock ups, in the underground/car park? There is possibly a room you can get key access to, I have seen this in a few apartment blocks, save you a bit of room too.

Store bikes worth potentially several grand in an insecure basement car park where never mind being stolen they can be easily damaged? No thanks.
    While i can see where you are coming from you say you are a tenant, If I was an owner and i saw you carrying your bike, I'd probably think thats going to end up at least on one if not more occasions taking lumps out of walls and door frames, which owners would then have to fork out for to repair.

The rule doesn't just apply to tenants, it applies to owners as well. It's a ludicrous rule saying that I cannot bring my own property into my bought and paid for space. Also, tenants pay a deposit. Damage the tenant causes is taken from the deposit.
    I am sure you are the exception, but if you break that rule, what happens when someone else breaks a rule you dont like them breaking, like constant noise??

There is a difference between actions affecting numerous others and actions that affect no one. Apartment common areas suffer from wear and tear just like anything else. Wear and tear from people walking, spilling crap, dripping water and mud after a rainy day, marking walls from moving furniture etc. All of which is what the management company costs are meant to cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Do they provide secure, safe ,covered storage for bikes? If not, then I believe you are entitled to take your bike to your apartment.

If on the other hand, they do provide suitable storage, you should use it.

I used to park a (one year old) motorcycle in an underground car park - it was heavily locked in my parking space. Came down one day & it had been vandalised to a point beyond recovery - they must have spent hours destroyng it. I couldn't get over the amount of time that must have gone into the damage that was done. What shocked me was, there was lots of expensive stuff in the pannier that they didn't bother to steal... That car park was in a secuirty gated apt. block in the suburbs... So unless they provide a room/cage with key access & something strong to lock the bike to, you should not accept it as either safe or secure. Scummers will **** with your **** when they have the oportunity...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I live in a small complex of appartments as well. My everyday bike is stored in the basement (it's the only one actually there), I don't even lock it there. My good bike is with me in the bedroom and I wouldn't consider moving it down, I 'd prefer to move appartment.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Do they provide secure, safe ,covered storage for bikes? If not, then I believe you are entitled to take your bike to your apartment.
    If on the other hand, they do provide suitable storage, you should use it.

I used to park a (one year old) motorcycle in an underground car park - it was heavily locked in my parking space. Came down one day & it had been vandalised to a point beyond recovery - they must have spent hours destroyng it. I couldn't get over the amount of time that must have gone into the damage that was done. What shocked me was, there was lots of expensive stuff in the pannier that they didn't bother to steal... That car park was in a secuirty gated apt. block in the suburbs... So unless they provide a room/cage with key access & something strong to lock the bike to, you should not accept it as either safe or secure. Scummers will **** with your **** when they have the oportunity...

There is no such thing, I had a bike stolen from a locked room in a secure underground car park with a decent lock on it.

All the locked room and 'secure' car park did was given them plenty of time and privacy to get power tools at the lock. It even gabe them a power source! There was no damage to any of the room locks etc. Luckily enough it was a daily bike, not worth much more than the lock itself.

God knows how many people end up with the keys and codes to these rooms/car parks in even a medium sized development after a couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

copacetic wrote: »
    God knows how many people end up with the keys and codes to these rooms/car parks in even a medium sized development after a couple of years.
    I think this is the key point.

Gavin wrote: »
    Store bikes worth potentially several grand in an insecure basement car park where never mind being stolen they can be easily damaged? No thanks.

The rule doesn't just apply to tenants, it applies to owners as well. It's a ludicrous rule saying that I cannot bring my own property into my bought and paid for space. Also, tenants pay a deposit. Damage the tenant causes is taken from the deposit.

There is a difference between actions affecting numerous others and actions that affect no one. Apartment common areas suffer from wear and tear just like anything else. Wear and tear from people walking, spilling crap, dripping water and mud after a rainy day, marking walls from moving furniture etc. All of which is what the management company costs are meant to cover.

Chill, I asked if there was a secure room as I have seen in some apartments,which are locked and have keys that arent as easy to copy.
    Also I never suggested it only applied to tenants but a tenants deposit doesnt cover damage outside the apartment but in the block (how would a landlord even know about that? plus people would be losing it if anyone suggested such a thing as it could never be proved).
    You see there are rules regarding apartments, mostly not followed because people here seem to disregard them, as an example if you put up a satellite dish and the management company specifies you're not allowed, they can enter your apartment wether you own it or not if they need to do that to remove it, thats an example that I believe isnt followed through but could be.
    Like someone says if there is a secure location to store it I would use that, if not then I probably would keep it in my apartment too if it is valuable. However I disagree that people should say they have a right to disregard rules when it doesn't suit them.

Anyway where is it kept at all other times, if its that expensive I'd be looking to get it insured, either way I do agree that it is unfortunate you cannot seem to have anything nice/good in this country without having someone want to nick or vandalise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't like keeping my bicycles anywhere I wouldn't keep my children.

I don't think that's unreasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Chill, I asked if there was a secure room as I have seen in some apartments,which are locked and have keys that arent as easy to copy.

The problem with that though is that you're dependent on someone else taking as much care of their bikes as you do of yours. It's all to easy for someone else to leave the secure lockup open (as has happened in my complex), which then gives scummers a nice, quiet spot to fuck up all your stuff.

My view is that unless the management company is prepared to give you, in writing, a doc that says "we have a secure facility for you to park your bike in, and our insurance will cover you if it gets stolen" (which ain't gonna happen, ever!), I'd have no problem bringing a bike into my apartment. Indeed, I carry mine up 4 flights of steps daily!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

@Merch- I think the problem is that these clauses specifically address bicycles and not prams, buggies, furniture, large suitcases or whatever else that might cause damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

I've no idea if the rules of my block expressly forbid me from bringing my bike in, but if it did I would ignore both it and anyone that said anything to me about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

I've found that the main problem with bringing bikes into apt blocks is when they are carried up communal stairwells. Eventually, tire marks will scuff the walls and the block will have to be repainted long before it would otherwise be necessary. The costs involved encourage management companies to put a ban on bikes in apt blocks.

We have a similar rule in our place and those who bring their bikes inside do so with enough care so as to not mark the walls and therefore there really isn't a problem. However, they are breaking the house rules and regardless of their take on those rules, if you want to live in the development you have to abide by the development rules (or bend them so as not to be noticed/ cause a complaint).

Communal living means many neighbours will turn a blind eye to rules being broken/bent but ultimately, it's down to the Mgt Company as to whether they tollerate it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Anyone who points out the big sign on the wall to you just say, "Si Si, Englishhi, ummm, small, ummm, prego" And when they persist with speaking louder to you in pigeon english with miming riding a bike and not allowed, just keep agreeing with them "si si". They'll soon give up and not bother you again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Aside from storing the bike in the common areas, the primary concerns are the wheels banging off walls, leaving big black marks and leaving trails of dirt/oil across the carpet which are a pain to remove.

So long as you're careful I don't see the problem.

I'm surprised no-one has created a lightweight version of these for this very kind of thing. Make it out of a light weight plastic (like those light see-through rain jackets), separated in the middle so you don't have to take your wheels off (just clip it together over the wheel) and with elastic to keep it wrapped around the tyre. Instant protection from filthy tyres.

I've no idea how you'd go about making something like this, but it sounds like something simple and useful...

seamus wrote: »
    I'm surprised no-one has created a lightweight version of these for this very kind of thing.

I searched on Google images for "bike condom" in the hope that some lunatic would have made such a thing, but found nothing relevant even with Safesearch off.

I did however find this, which must be one of the least used stock images in the world.

I have seen some Continental apt blocks which had excellent storage, entirely seperate rooms for each apt and they also follow the rules.

I visited a friend in the Netherlands and in her apartment block, not only did tenants keep bicycles in their apartments, the elevator was sufficiently deep that they could wheel the bikes in and take them up to their apartments that way. Nice touch.

Plastik wrote: »
    I've no idea if the rules of my block expressly forbid me from bringing my bike inmaking noise, but if it did I would ignore both it and anyone that said anything to me about it.

Lets just say if this was about something that concerned you then, like constantly noisy neighbours, its assumed people will follow certain rules if they are living communally, if they don't then the rules should be made clear.

Personally I don't think rules are strong enough regarding communal living, makes for a better community when we do things that don't just benefit ourselves.
    I think management companies should have the right to know who is living in an apartment, wether they are renting or owners and be able to enforce throwing them out/fining them as the case may be (if they are anti social/don't abide by the rules). Obviously they are too lazy to enforce anything as they are just taking money in and anything else that makes peoples life secure, happy isn't.
    While this doesn't constitute anti social, it's the whole "I'll do what I want and to hell with everyone else" that gets me.
    I suppose in the absence of a management company actually securing the block and knowing who is who (ie who has access/keys etc) then the op may aswell leave his bike in the apt, I've also seen where people brought a washing machines up the stairs and then ripped the carpet at the top of the stairs (ie cost to replace/safety hazard) all because someone did what they want.
    But I am sure there are many cyclists who will not give a stuff about leaving a trail of mud in the communal areas, btw I'm a former cyclist, not anymore, too dangerous, although I'm equally opposed to militant rulle breaking cyclists(on the roads) as I am to militant dangerous drivers.
    I won't live in Apt block in Ireland, not by choice anyway, so hopefully never.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The rule about not having bikes in apartments is annoying. Also the one about not leaving bikes on the balcony is too.

I think it's another reason bicycles should not be treated just like motorised vehicles.

Anyway, the Constitution has such strong property rights it should be seen as overriding house rules written by management companies or committee of owners. Just say the Constitution is on your side :)

Lets just say if this was about something that concerned you then, like constantly noisy neighbours, its assumed people will follow certain rules if they are living communally, if they don't then the rules should be made clear.
    While this doesn't constitute anti social, it's the whole "I'll do what I want and to hell with everyone else" that gets me.

It's a rule that in my complex was never enforced. The rule against making noise was enforced. Nobody cared whether I brought a bike in or not. They saw me carrying it carefully, the area around my apartment wasn't bashed to bits, or whatever you think cyclists do with their bikes. So nobody cared.

I think my apartment block was further from total anarchy than you seem to think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

i had the same problem in my new apartment BUT

What i did was have a chat with the landlord whom genuinely didnt relise the price of the bike. Showed him my recepit and my insurance documents and he was shocked.

He now has no problem with me keeping my bike in the apartment :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

I really hate management companies and the busy body, power hungry, nosy neighbour types they attract!

Glad I don't live in an apartment. Washing your bike in the bath.....hassle!

I never had to wash my bike in the bath -- that's what the parking space that came with the apartment was for.

So I have been laid low with a bad flu and laryngitis for the last few days and have not been out on the bike, have not had a chat with the landlady and have not seen the gestapo upstairs...however my plan is to call landlady and get her take on it, hopefully get her on side, and proceed as usual - i.e. careful carrying the bike in and out and keep the bike with me. There is no way I would keep it outside the apt but hopefully it will not come to having to move. Many thanks again for your sage and funny words of advice :p

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

I commiserate with anyone with this problem but it is one of the disadvantages of apartment living and you really should have read the house rules before purchasing/renting.
    I've seen the other side of the coin as its been my job to fix up halls, stairs and lifts that have been destroyed by people bringing bikes in. It's always easy to follow the trail to the culprits door. I'd have to say that if I lived in a block that this was happening in I'd not be to happy. Why should 1 person be allowed to wreck the communal areas?
    In case you think I'm being one sided, I've had my bike robbed from the carpark of the apartment I lived in, and was well p~~~ed off. I now own my own house and despite my best efforts there's chunks taken out of door frames and tyre marks on walls and doors from me bringing my bike in.

On a lighter note, in one place I worked a guy insisted on his right to bring a scooter ( and not the kids type) up in the lift to be parked in the hall outside his door! For the same reason as everyone here, he'd had one stolen outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Why should 1 person be allowed to wreck the communal areas?

I agree with you to a degree. But in order to make it feasible there must be safe, secure, covered bike parking provided. If the community do not want bikes in the building, they should provide a suitable alternative. If they fail to do this they are just being self serving. Cycling is a legitimate form of transport/lifestyle/sport & cyclists should be provided for. In the same way cars & pedestrians are provided for.

• Advertisement

Totally agree. In my case I knew the security guard so we were able to check the security videos, they clearly showed the fat orange guy from the Tango ad robbing it. Turns out most security cameras are rubbish.

I commiserate with anyone with this problem but it is one of the disadvantages of apartment living and you really should have read the house rules before purchasing/renting.

The rule is in place pretty much everywhere, and rightly ignored on a widespread scale.
    I've seen the other side of the coin as its been my job to fix up halls, stairs and lifts that have been destroyed by people bringing bikes in. It's always easy to follow the trail to the culprits door. I'd have to say that if I lived in a block that this was happening in I'd not be to happy. Why should 1 person be allowed to wreck the communal areas?

Just as with all other case of damage to communal areas, if the person doing the damage can be tracked as easy as you say, then they and they only should be made responsible.

Rules should not be made which affect the many because of the careless few.
    I now own my own house and despite my best efforts there's chunks taken out of door frames and tyre marks on walls and doors from me bringing my bike in.

Chunks taken out door frame sounds like carelessness tbh.

It would be better if a sentiment such as this:

"The spirit of the law is not to damage, soil or obstruct the common areas. Therefore, I carry, not wheel, my bike and I do not hit off anything on the way to my apartment."

were not construed, as it has been several times now, as this:

"I wish to gradually damage the common areas because I think I'm more important than everyone else."

The two statements are different.

Also, parking a moped outside your apartment is different from carrying a bike in. I don't regard widespread ignoring of the rule about bringing bikes into apartments as leading to a Vespa parked outside every apartment door.

It's not fair, but not untypically unfair. The rule is from the same school of thought as speed bumps and speed cameras for cars. You punish everybody to constrain the behaviour of the irresponsible.

If there is no speeding there can be no speeding-related accidents.

If there are no bikes, there can be no bike damage.

Personally I'd be more worried about taking a chunk out of my bike than a chunk out of the wall. You can't polyfill a derailleur.

I'm surprised that such things are enforced at a time when we have 300k empty properties. What about market forces?

Don't get me wrong, I think you should keep an expensive clean bike in your apartment.
    All I'm saying is that the reason the rule is there is because lots of people don't care about the common areas and wreck them carrying in bikes and this affects lots of people who don't break their house rules.
    There's lots of rules in apartments that deserve to be broken, but who gets to decide which ones? I hate blanket rules and hopefully the OP's landlord feels the same.
    The simple and obvious solution is live in a house (If you do like your door frames though, it helps not to have 2 kids on your bike while trying to take a tight 90' turn through the front door ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

How does one take chunks out of the wall with the bike? I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building that forbids bikes. I carry it in, every so often the back wheel glances a wall and leaves a trace of mud, but beyond that...

I can see why they forbid you from carrying a bike if you use it to take chunks out of doors!

I can see why they forbid you from carrying a bike if you use it to take chunks out of doors!
    :)

(Pedal height) "nicks" out of door frames we'll call it then.

The simple and obvious solution is live in a house (If you do like your door frames though, it helps not to have 2 kids on your bike while trying to take a tight 90' turn through the front door ;))

It's national and local government policy (those guys that make laws, give planning permission etc) to get more people cycling, it would be shear madness for this to exclude apartments.

On a personal level, it would shear madness to not be able to live in apartments just because some people are prone to damaging hall ways and doors.

Sounds like the simple solution is to have a bit more care and respect for what ever kind of housing you are living in. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

monument wrote: »
    It's national and local government policy (those guys that make laws, give planning permission etc) to get more people cycling, it would be shear madness for this to exclude apartments.

On a personal level, it would shear madness to not be able to live in apartments just because some people are prone to damaging hall ways and doors.

Sounds like the simple solution is to have a bit more care and respect for what ever kind of housing you are living in. :)

agreed but there are careless clumbsy muppets out there, and the plain lazy couldn't care less types ["sure they'll take it off my deposit anyway!" :rolleyes:]

like all rules they punish those who are inconsiderate/dumb/lazy and the rest of us have to deal..and be punished :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Lumen wrote: »
    I'm surprised that such things are enforced at a time when we have 300k empty properties. What about market forces?

My guess is that typically the type of people you find on Management Committees will be owner/occupiers who don't need to worry about where the next tenant is coming from. The landlords of rented apartments (who are most affected by the current state of the market) prolly don't mind...

How does one take chunks out of the wall with the bike? I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building that forbids bikes. I carry it in, every so often the back wheel glances a wall and leaves a trace of mud, but beyond that...

I presume he means pedals taking lumps outta stuff, as a former cyclist it happens eventually no matter how careful you are. While it may seem pedantic, do you clean that mud off or does someone else? and when it needs to be painted, I guess they probably have to paint a whole wall while they're at it as labour will be paid for, I presume that also comes out of the sinking fund which someone pays for.

Better if adequate facilities are in place that allow people to keep their bikes secure.

I presume he means pedals taking lumps outta stuff, as a former cyclist it happens eventually no matter how careful you are.

I never knocked a lump out of anything in five years of carrying my bike to the apartment.
    While it may seem pedantic, do you clean that mud off or does someone else? and when it needs to be painted, I guess they probably have to paint a whole wall while they're at it as labour will be paid for, I presume that also comes out of the sinking fund which someone pays for.

All apartment complexes need repainting and other maintenance work done every few years, even if there isn't a single cyclist in the building. Hundreds of corridor transits every week mean wear and tear. People wheeling prams in and dragging luggage on wheels through do more damage than I ever did, but I didn't notice a rule telling them to cut it out. I rarely saw the track of a bicycle wheel in the common area on a rainy day, but I frequently saw the distinctive double-wheel track of a buggy.
    Better if adequate facilities are in place that allow people to keep their bikes secure.

I've lived in two different apartment complexes and viewed many more. None of them had parking facilities that I'd leave an expensive bike in.

Or indeed, even a cheap bike on which I was very reliant. If your primary mode of transport is your bike, you tend to customise it quite a bit. Which means it's often weeks of work to replace it when it's stolen, even if it isn't an expensive bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

As a parent and a cyclist, I think management companies should ban small children from the interior of apartment blocks. They produce much more perfectly acceptable wear and tear. Along with reducing said wear and tear it would also produce a number of ancillary benefits, including (but not limited to):

1. Provide a keen insight into said management's company's thinking on actually living in your own apartment.
    2. Provide a good basis for arguing parity of esteem between the kids and the bikes being in the house.
    3. Allow for dirty children to be kept outside until they hose themselves down.

DFD.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I never knocked a lump out of anything in five years of carrying my bike to the apartment.

All apartment complexes need repainting and other maintenance work done every few years, even if there isn't a single cyclist in the building. Hundreds of corridor transits every week mean wear and tear. People wheeling prams in and dragging luggage on wheels through do more damage than I ever did, but I didn't notice a rule telling them to cut it out. I rarely saw the track of a bicycle wheel in the common area on a rainy day, but I frequently saw the distinctive double-wheel track of a buggy.

I've lived in two different apartment complexes and viewed many more. None of them had parking facilities that I'd leave an expensive bike in.

Or indeed, even a cheap bike on which I was very reliant. If your primary mode of transport is your bike, you tend to customise it quite a bit. Which means it's often weeks of work to replace it when it's stolen, even if it isn't an expensive bike.

I was saying I think apartments should have adequate facilities for people to lock up their bikes, ie some kind of personal storage that they can access easily if they need to do that frequently

some kind of personal storage that they can access easily if they need to do that frequently

Yes, it's called an apartment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement