Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What course to do ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

I did the DIT one , if your looking to get in to dev go with DCU , DIT one is more rounded based at sys admins / projects managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Sposs wrote: »
    I did the DIT one , if your looking to get in to dev go with DCU , DIT one is more rounded based at sys admins / projects managers.

Having done the DCU one I'd have to say the same problem exists with it, it seems more aimed towards if you want to be a consultant/analyst/sales person of IT hardware/software and not an actual hands on system admin or developer. IMO it also suffered from the problem of trying to overextend itself so instead of in depth knowledge of a few things we got a vague knowledge of many.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Strange , maybe it's the fact there part-time, they cram alot of stuff you'll never need or use into it rather than focusing on doing some core subjects really well that could actually help in the workplace. There is also far too much focus on theory rather than getting your hards dirty in the lab.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

I was afraid of that being the case. The DCU one seems to focus on Java and DBs and some Web Development which is all good but it sounds from the feedback it doesn't go into it enough?

Are there any other courses out there that you guys might recommend ? Or is this a good started point anyway?

Strange , maybe it's the fact there part-time, they cram alot of stuff you'll never need or use into it rather than focusing on doing some core subjects really well that could actually help in the workplace. There is also far too much focus on theory rather than getting your hards dirty in the lab.

Well the DCU I did was full time (though the concept of "full-time" seems lost on those laying out the course IMO, for example apparently none of the lecturers are available on Fridays.:rolleyes:) though only 1 year long that way.
    Definitely agree on there being insufficient emphasis on practical work instead of essays, presentations and doodles, i.e. how to sell the BS instead of get your hands dirty.
    neonman wrote:
    I was afraid of that being the case. The DCU one seems to focus on Java and DBs and some Web Development which is all good but it sounds from the feedback it doesn't go into it enough?

Are there any other courses out there that you guys might recommend ? Or is this a good started point anyway?
    The DCU one teaches you the very basics of object oriented programming (e.g. you're made aware that polymorphism and overriding exist but not taught to do it) through Java in the first semester, then does some more advanced algorithms and data structures in java in the second semester, most of the other java references were more incidental than instructive. We studied swing for one module in the second semester but it was only as a lab where we went in and worked off a website, that has nothing to do with DCU, to learn it, in other words you could just as readily do it from home.
    The databases practical labs I felt put too much emphasis on Microsoft Access and not enough on sql, with the sql practicals being nothing more than some simplistic queries. They didn't bother with JDBC either, just mentioned that it exists, when that would be an obvious thing to at least introduce people to since we were doing some java.
    The web development was just basic HTML, a little CSS and labs where people just mucked about with Dreamweaver, nothing you couldn't teach yourself using on-line reference sites.

It could be an ok starting point, but just be prepared for having to teach yourself a lot outside (and after) the course before you're in a position to be a developer.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply. Sounds a bit light on the development side. Might have to look at other options if there are any.
    Reku wrote: »
    Well the DCU I did was full time (though the concept of "full-time" seems lost on those laying out the course IMO, for example apparently none of the lecturers are available on Fridays.:rolleyes:) though only 1 year long that way.
    Definitely agree on there being insufficient emphasis on practical work instead of essays, presentations and doodles, i.e. how to sell the BS instead of get your hands dirty.

The DCU one teaches you the very basics of object oriented programming (e.g. you're made aware that polymorphism and overwritting exist but not taught to do it) through Java in the first semester, then does some more advanced algorithms and data structures in java in the second semester, most of the other java references were more incidental than instructive. We studied swing for one module in the second semester but it was only as a lab where we went in and worked off a website, that has nothing to do with DCU, to learn it, in other words you could just as readily do it from home.
    The databases practical labs I felt put too much emphasis on Microsoft Access and not enough on sql, with the sql practicals being nothing more than some simplistic queries. They didn't bother with JDBC either, just mentioned that it exists, when that would be an obvious thing to at least introduce people to since we were doing some java.
    The web development was just basic HTML, a little CSS and labs where people just mucked about with Dreamweaver, nothing you couldn't teach yourself using on-line reference sites.

It could be an ok starting point, but just be prepared for having to teach yourself a lot outside (and after) the course before you're in a position to be a developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Having done the DCU one I'd have to say the same problem exists with it, it seems more aimed towards if you want to be a consultant/analyst/sales person of IT hardware/software and not an actual hands on system admin or developer. IMO it also suffered from the problem of trying to overextend itself so instead of in depth knowledge of a few things we got a vague knowledge of many.

Are either of you working in programming at the moment as a result of that course, if you dont mind me asking?

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Are either of you working in programming at the moment as a result of that course, if you dont mind me asking?

Alas no.:( Spending my time practicing and studying towards certifications in the hopes of getting a job in development.
    All the jobs I've applied for in the area weren't interested, and I got a distinction in the course, so anyone getting less wouldn't have a hope.

Alas no.:( Spending my time practicing and studying towards certifications in the hopes of getting a job in development.
    All the jobs I've applied for in the area weren't interested, and I got a distinction in the course, so anyone getting less wouldn't have a hope.

:eek:

Thats disappointing if you did the course with the sole purpose of getting into development.

Any developers here that can give details on how they got into the world of development?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

IT Tallaght (Or ITTDublin as its now known) do a good programming orientated course, It covers many different area's in IT as well, but has a strong programming core.

The lectures all come from the industry and know their stuff.

I was hired straight off my Cv as a C# developer because my boss knew that the course was well put together(Obviously they brought me in for interview). Most of my classmates are also working as developers.

TBH though the degree doesn't matter where is from as long as its an Computer Science Degree. All it really is, is a foot in the door, Its then up to you to prove you personally can do the job.

• Advertisement

This course also looks interesting.

http://www.gcd.ie/index.jsp?1nID=107&2nID=120&3nID=120&nID=220&aID=205

Successful students can expect to enter careers as systems analysts, IT managers or software developers.

neonman wrote: »
    This course also looks interesting.

http://www.gcd.ie/index.jsp?1nID=107&2nID=120&3nID=120&nID=220&aID=205

Successful students can expect to enter careers as systems analysts, IT managers or software developers.

Just checked that,Cant get to the site. Got a Apache 500 error with stack trace listed, witch is laughable for a computing course website.

They should have proper error handling, looks very unprofessional.

<edit>
    just got onto that site(finally), looks Ok, I'd email them and ask for a breakdown of course content (Languages and technologies) as well as marking structure(i.e 100% exam? 50/50 Exam/CA ?).

hobochris wrote: »
    Just checked that,Cant get to the site. Got a Apache 500 error with stack trace listed, witch is laughable for a computing course website.

They should have proper error handling, looks very unprofessional.

Link working here for me fine?

Link working here for me fine?

Refresh a couple of times, you'll see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Any developers here that can give details on how they got into the world of development?
    Step 1. Learn programming.
    Step 2. Get a junior job.

It's not that hard to get a job if you can program. The hard part if learning it in your spare time. :)

If you're interested in web development, get really good at HTML/CSS an Javascript and then get a job as a 'front end developer' and work your way into server-side stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Is GCD not a private college, and therefore expensive to get into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ukdirect

You are the best person for this decision , take advice from you parents.

As a technical person between the above mention course , I will prefer
    BSc (Honours) in Information Systems and Information Technology (IS/IT)

for its details module structure ,covers many aspect which may beneficial for career in technology ,other one also not bad.

Advertisement