Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence Substitution

Options
  • 18-05-2010 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,
    Just in the process of filling out the form and wondering do i have to fill in My medical details and land owners permission again. I doubt it myself!. Has anyone done a substitution yet and if so what parts did you have to fill in.
    All info much appreciated!
    Cheers
    E

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Name,
    Address,
    Tick substitution box,
    New gun details,
    Gun being substituted details,
    Dealer details,
    Reason for new firearm,
    Land permissions/Range membership details.

NO medical, referees or competency course.

**EDIT** - Forgot to mention it must be completed in a "timely manner" which is 14 working days. Had mine back in 11 and the father got his in 8. They are prompt enough with the substitutions.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

ezridax wrote: »
    Name,
    Address,
    Tick substitution box,
    New gun details,
    Gun being substituted details,
    Dealer details,
    Reason for new firearm,
    Land permissions/Range membership details.

NO medical, referees or competency course.

**EDIT** - Forgot to mention it must be completed in a "timely manner" which is 14 working days. Had mine back in 11 and the father got his in 8. They are prompt enough with the substitutions.

My land owners are going to be getting pissed with me annoying them at this stage of the game lol little stupid really considering one was only down this road a couple of weeks ago..:rolleyes:. I take it one dosen't have to repay the 80 squid again?

Have you not got copies of the permissions? If not rather than bother them you could tell your FO that you are using the same lands as applied for under the first license. Might do it for you. No reason he/she couldn't.

No. Substitutions are free.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

fill in the referee bit again i substituted one rifle for another 6 weeks ago and didin't fill that bit in cos it says you don't have to and they got back onto me last week at 10.45 on a sat night to fill it in was told it wouldn't be accepted without it

Going to call fo in the morning and find out exactly what he needs. Saves so much hassle...

• Advertisement

landkeeper wrote: »
    .......they got back onto me last week at 10.45 on a sat night to fill it in was told it wouldn't be accepted without it

They are in the wrong. I know filling it in only takes a minute and allows for a stress free substitution, but as you said it even states on the FCA1 the referees must be filled in, except in the case of a substitution.

You could stand your ground and refuse, as you are in the right. Or fill them in and just let it go. I personally didn't have to, but my FO is on the ball, and most importantly a level headed lad that actually knows how to do his job properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

while i hear substitution is free .... do they reissue a new card ....has anyone actually gotten a new card as a sub and not gotten a payed the 80 snots ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I got a new yellow substituted card and had to pay 80 yoyos

. .... do they reissue a new card ...

Yes. No grant letter, just a new license.
    .has anyone actually gotten a new card as a sub and not gotten a payed the 80 snots ??

Got 2 substitutions under the new system.

Traumadoc wrote: »
    I got a new yellow substituted card and had to pay 80 yoyos

Thats a serious..........SERIOUS....... NO, NO.

A substitution is free and as they are issued from Dublin its one of two things. A mistake and you're entitled to your €80 back, or they processed it as a new application.

Does the license say "Substitution Firearms license" on the front?

• Advertisement

I think they processed it as a new application , it took 6 months!

After waiting that long I could not care about the 80 euro.

There is no "substituted firearm" on the front.

The whole process is on a bit of a learning curve and they will get time to learn now that the whole rush is over. Remember some small rural stations would receive 8000+ pages of applications that would have had to be inputted

I am sure the last thing they want is me saying you messed up my application give me back my 80 euro.

That said I am sure in three years time they are going to ask me to get a new license for the old firearm I substituted.

I think they processed it as a new application , it took 6 months! ...............

..............There is no "substituted firearm" on the front.

Then it is most definitely a new application. Problem now is did you, under section 1 "Application Type", tick the box for Firearm Certificate or Substitution of Firearm? If the mistake was on your end and you ticked "Fiream Certificate" then they would have processed it as such, although your FO should have spotted the mistake as your FCA1 should have contained the details of the firearm being substituted and the new firearm being sought. A new application would have details for only one firearm, not two.
    That said I am sure in three years time they are going to ask me to get a new license for the old firearm I substituted.

Not necessary. If you have sold or traded the firearm (as i assume you have due to the substitution) then you simply need fill in an FCA2, using the cancellation of firearm cert sections and input the details of your old firearm. Job done.

ezridax wrote: »
    Then it is most definitely a new application. Problem now is did you, under section 1 "Application Type", tick the box for Firearm Certificate or Substitution of Firearm? If the mistake was on your end and you ticked "Fiream Certificate" then they would have processed it as such, although your FO should have spotted the mistake as your FCA1 should have contained the details of the firearm being substituted and the new firearm being sought. A new application would have details for only one firearm, not two.

No it was a definite substitution application.
    ( I ticked the silencer box too - no sign of the "S"either)

Then it is most definitely their mistake. Forgot about the €80 for the minute, when someone goes to buy your old firearm they will be unable to license it as you are still licensed on it.

I speak from experience. When you substitute a firearm your old license stays valid for 14 days after the issuing of your new/substituted license to allow for issues/problems/change of mind, etc. When i traded my last gun a lad bought it 2 days later and i got a call a week and a bit later from the lads FO. She asked why Mr X. was trying to license a firearm that was licensed to me. I explained the situation, told her to wait a week and check again. 9 days later she rang back and told me everything was okay and my details were no longer on record as being licensed to my old gun.

I hope you kept a copy of your FCA1. I'm not lecturing (far from it), but i cannot stress the importance of photocopying all documents before submitting them. Get your FO to dig up the FCA1. It is somewhere. Once it is confirmed you ticked the "Substitution" box you should ask for a substitution license, your €80 back and the permission (if it was granted) for the mod.

alternatively you can forego the €80, cancel the old license (via FCA2) and still enquire as to the status of the mod permission. It your own choice, whatever suits you best.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭freddieot

Got a substitution a few weeks ago.

Took about 3 weeks to process (they put it in as a new application by mistake). All sorted out eventually and did not have to pay 80 for the new cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

freddieot wrote: »
    Got a substitution a few weeks ago.

Took about 3 weeks to process (they put it in as a new application by mistake). All sorted out eventually and did not have to pay 80 for the new cert.

Same sort of problem lol !

I doubt my old firearm would be sold again as it was recalled by the manufacturer. Hence the substitution.

I doubt my old firearm would be sold again as it was recalled by the manufacturer. Hence the substitution.

Ah. Still an idea to use the FCA2 to cancel the old one.

Also forgot to mention, with a substitution you still get a reciept letter as with the normal application, but then the license comes in the post about a week or so later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

hi all, i submitted a substitution early march and only got a received letter at the end of april. i have heard nothing since.Rang the fo and was told "we are up the walls". Rang the supers office and was told "we are sick to the back teeth of guns". I definitely ticked the substitution box but am worried now that i am being treated as a new application.

270WIN wrote: »
    hi all, i submitted a substitution early march and only got a received letter at the end of april. i have heard nothing since.Rang the fo and was told "we are up the walls". Rang the supers office and was told "we are sick to the back teeth of guns". I definitely ticked the substitution box but am worried now that i am being treated as a new application.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    At the end of the day its there job.

Rang up this morning was told to produce land owners again along with new details. Even joked that it hadnt taken me long. More than helpfull...

• Advertisement

Handed all in this evening so lets hope all go's smoothly........

Got my sub licence today. only one problem the wording on the back says double barrel when its a semi auto. :cool:.. Would i be best to ring up and query it before going to collect...

Collected her today. Will take some getting use to but cant wait to put her through her paces. Thanks for all the help info etc

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mrhd

Hi freddieot

what was involved in getting the new-application corrected to a substitution

I am in the same situation, I traded my .22lr for another .22lr recently, I put in a like for like substitution application on FCA1 with relevant box ticked.

My existing .22lr licence is new 3 year type with 2.5 years left to run in the 5***** number range. I got a grant letter in the post yesterday for my new .22lr asking for €80 and referencing a FAC in the 6***** range.

I hope to drop in to see local FO later in the week but if I know the mechanics involved to give him a steer it might help speed up the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭freddieot

Basically it was down to the FO to fix it. They had to go into the system and make the correction.

Then, after all that, I got the new Grant Letter (rather than the Cert) :D

When I rang him he said don't worry that the Cert would come eventually. It took about 3 weeks more for the Cert to finally arrive.

Best to give him a while then start being his best phone buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mrhd

I am still waiting.

I had a call from local station back in early July to say they would sort out the Substitution processed as new-application mistake.

Not a peep out of them since. The 30 days payment deadline on the 'mistaken new application' has now expired so I would have hoped it would be easier to re-input the FCA1 info into the system and get the substition FAC printed etc. The fact that I got a payment slip for a new application means it has been up to the Super's office and been passed I would presume.

I have tried calling the FO but he works wierd hours. I tried the contact name on the payment slip, an Inspector, but he is never there. The local station is single-manned and he has been on holidays for ages.

What are my options, persist with the calls to the District office?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

just changed a 6.5x55 for a .308 ,i was told it wasn't a subsitution cos it wasnt like for like ,had to pay the 80 euro but only took 3 weeks :D,,i tried using the argument that it was a stalking rifle for a stalking rifle but they were having none of it cos they are different calibres

ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

ianoo wrote: »
    just changed a 6.5x55 for a .308 ,i was told it wasn't a subsitution cos it wasnt like for like ,had to pay the 80 euro but only took 3 weeks :D,,i tried using the argument that it was a stalking rifle for a stalking rifle but they were having none of it cos they are different calibres

ian

You were unlucky, i changed my 6.5 for a .308 a few years ago, and my .22lr for a .223 no charge!

Pre the new system though :(

Advertisement