Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland u23s v Ireland

• 18-05-2010 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

The game was at 6.30, anyone hear the u23s team?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Jordan Berbatov

just know the proper ireland team won 1-0, stokes scored, and the ireland u23 team was mostly LOI players,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

just know the proper ireland team won 1-0, stokes scored, and the ireland u23 team was mostly LOI players,

Isn't the u23's only loi players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Ironic calling them the "proper" Ireland team.:rolleyes:
    dan1895 wrote: »
    Isn't the u23's only loi players?

Yup they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Teams were as follows:

Republic of Ireland Seniors: Westwood (Coventry City); McShane (Hull City), Duffy (Everton), O'Dea (Celtic), Cunningham (Manchester City); Stokes (Hibernian), Fahey (Birmingham City), Green (Derby County), Long (Reading); Sheridan (Celtic), Best (Newcastle United) . Subs: J. Murphy (Scunthorpe United) for Westwood (h/t), Lawrence (Stoke City) for Sheridan (58 mins.), Foley (Wolverhampton Wanderers) for Fahey (66 mins.).

Republic of Ireland Under-23s: Quigley (Sporting Fingal); Kelly (Dundalk), Browne (Sporting Fingal), Mulcahy (Cork City), Powell (Bohemians); Sheppard (Galway United), O'Donnell (Galway United), Finn (Sporting Fingal), Williams (Sporting Fingal), Dennehy (Shamrock Rovers); Faherty (St. Patrick's Athletic). Subs: Duggan (Shamrock Rovers) for Quigley, Bermingham (Shamrock Rovers) for Powell, Bolger (UCD) for Williams, Chambers (Shamrock Rovers) for Finn, Gaynor (Dundalk) for Sheppard, McCabe (Sligo Rovers) for Dennehy (all at half-time), Amond (Sligo Rovers) for Kelly and Madden (Bohemians) for Faherty (both 60 mins.).

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100966:stokes-winner-gives-traps-team-victory&catid=4:under-19&Itemid=12

Yup they are.

was simply to avoid confusion, I was going to say that in my post but too lazy, couldnt think of any word, didnt mean it in a derogatory way, done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

noodler wrote: »
    Why?

Please, oh please, for the love of god, can we not for once.

I didnt want this to happen!

I won't bite, don't worry! :D Plus he going by his post in the Millwall Fan thread, he's clearly just a WUM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

How exactly? They are our international side that plays in international FIFA/ UEFA run competitions. If me and 10 mates put on Ireland jerseys and play in a tournament here in Sydney calling ourselves Rep of Ireland it doesnt make us the "real" rep of Ireland team either FFS. The only time an Ireland u 23 could be considered an internationally recognised team is in Olympic competition, as AFAIK all junior FIFA/ UEFA comps end at the u 21 level. I would say get your facts right but sure dont let that get in the way of some barstoolery rant eh :rolleyes: God forbid if one of the LOI players was actually born in England, which among a group of 12- 20 odd young Irish lads is quite possible.

How exactly? They are our international side that plays in international FIFA/ UEFA run competitions. If me and 10 mates put on Ireland jerseys and play in a tournament here in Sydney calling ourselves Rep of Ireland it doesnt make us the "real" rep of Ireland team either FFS. The only time an Ireland u 23 could be considered an internationally recognised team is in Olympic competition, as AFAIK all junior FIFA/ UEFA comps end at the u 21 level. I would say get your facts right but sure dont let that get in the way of some barstoolery rant eh :rolleyes: God forbid if one of the LOI players was actually born in England, which among a group of 12- 20 odd young Irish lads is quite possible.

Sssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

This isn't the topic for this, I was merely picking up on his point. Run along now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Really hope Trap meant it when he said he was impressed by some of the LOI players. I'd love to see more LOI representation at national level, would provoke more interest in the league as a whole knowing your favourite local players have a chance of breaking into the national squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Really hope Trap meant it when he said he was impressed by some of the LOI players. I'd love to see more LOI representation at national level, would provoke more interest in the league as a whole knowing your favourite local players have a chance of breaking into the national squad.

But the fact remains, players defending/ attacking against domestic opposition are not adaquately experienced against even 4th or 5th placed international teams in our group. I suppose giving them a few on a home match against Andorra etc etc would be no harm but still, Im no fan of this pandering if it affects the ability of our best players to win qualifying groups.

Well considering he didn't think we had a National League not too long ago and then the assistant Tardelli (sp) comes out in a National Paper the other day supposedly saying there's no good players in the League, the mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭oconnon9

saying there's no good players in the League, the mind boggles.

but there isn't..:confused:

oconnon9 wrote: »
    but there isn't..:confused:
    Ah c'mon, you can do better than that, need to be more subtle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

And here we go:rolleyes:.

Lads stop please.

Can we not just discuss how well the under 23s did, or who out of the Ireland B team would you like to see step up in the coming campaign. Who in the under 23s may have a future at international level. Seems the loi lads did quite well against decent enough opposition. This a good thing for Irish football period. Whether its Irish lads abroad doing well or Irish lads from the LOI doing well, it doesnt matter, they are all Irish.

On another note. I was delighted to see 4 of our lads (Fingal) Play against Ireland. Its good exposure for the players. Look out for Ronan Finn, Shaun Wiliams and possible Kenny Browne to do well in the future. Im sure that each of the other clubs can point to some of their players who they think are quality and are ones to watch. It seem its been a usefull run out for both sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I was at the game last night.

The U23 team played very good football and controlled a lot of the game. The U23s didn't have as many goal chances as the other team. The game was close enough.

Each of the U23 players did themselves justice, and really could have played on either team.

It was very clear that it was a friendly. There was only 1 full tackle. The rest were fairly tame, for obvious reasons. I would say that last night, both teams were fairly even.

Rather than being impressed with the U23 team, I was much more disappointed with the national team.

I won't say "proper" team, since both teams are proper Irish international teams who represent their country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Paulw wrote: »
    I was at the game last night.

The U23 team played very good football and controlled a lot of the game. The U23s didn't have as many goal chances as the other team. The game was close enough.

Each of the U23 players did themselves justice, and really could have played on either team.

It was very clear that it was a friendly. There was only 1 full tackle. The rest were fairly tame, for obvious reasons. I would say that last night, both teams were fairly even.

Rather than being impressed with the U23 team, I was much more disappointed with the national team.

I won't say "proper" team, since both teams are proper Irish international teams who represent their country.

Why didnt Doolin start with Pauric Amond, hes on fire of late with Sligo Rovers, got a hatrick in his last game.

• Advertisement

Why didnt Doolin start with Pauric Amond, hes on fire of late with Sligo Rovers, got a hatrick in his last game.
    In fairness, I could probably get a hattrick against drogheda :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

In fairness, I could probably get a hattrick against drogheda :D

Good man, they're not that bad in fairness :rolleyes:

Advertisement