Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how competitive are jobs in psychology?

• 18-05-2010 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

hi im trying yo decide on what college course to do. Im 23 and i have always had an interest in psychology. I was thinking of doing a business degree but i think i would find psychology a more rewarding and enjoyable job. I see that most jobs seem to be in clinical psychology so im just wonedering even in this jobs market if i was to do a recognised degree in psychology and obtain a masters degree would i likely find a job in clinical psychology? or at least be im a competitive position to enter the field of psychology?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

The only thing I'd say is that its a very long road, you'll need a primary degree,masters and PHD before you can work as a Clinical psychologist. On top of those years of study you'll need to try get work experience.

Im only part the way through my training, i have a degree in psychology and I found it difficult to get a job out of college. Mainly cause of the lack of experience, in Psy you dont do placements or practical work so that makes it tough. You will need to volunteer. The experience that you'll need for a masters and Phd is in the social care field and theres lots of people graduating every year with Social care courses, they will prob get the job over you.

Basically I dont know about the competitive side after masters or Phd (although getting into these is competitive enough in itself) but after the main degree it can be tough. hope this helps a little bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Velvety

so im just wonedering even in this jobs market if i was to do a recognised degree in psychology and obtain a masters degree would i likely find a job in clinical psychology? or at least be im a competitive position to enter the field of psychology?

As far as I understand, once you have obtained a doctorate in clinical psychology you can expect to be employed almost immediately. The HSE or the NHS in Britain (again, as far as I know) funds your training and in turn, expects you to take up employment with the them on completion of training.

So, while the education side of it is incredibly competitive, once you make it, it's fairly straight-forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Hi thanks for the help. Just wondering also is any sortof government funding for when your doing your masters? As I have to continue working just to pay mortgage and bills and I don't think there are any evening master degree programmes in psychology that could help towards getting phd. I'm thinking of doing the degree in DBS and volunteering for the Samaritans and elsewhere. Assuming I did well in the degree would I likely be shortlisted for the masters in ucd or trinity?

There's a difference between a masters in psychology and a doctorate in clinical psychology.

Realistically, you will probably need to do a masters and have 2-3 years of relevant work experience before you'd be considered for interview in one of the clinical psychology doctorate programs of which there are 3: NUIG, U.L. and U.C.D. (Once accepted onto these programs you recieve some funding as far as I know, as a psychologist in training).

The masters you do should be in a psychologically related area and should demonstrate your ability to design and carry out research. It could be taught or done independently by research. Taught programs tend to be more expensive. You'll also need a few years relevant clinical experience.

So from the time you begin your undergraduate degree, to being qualified enough to be interviewed for a place on a clinical psychology course, you're talking 6-7 years. 9-10 years to be a fully qualified clinical psychologist. Those first 6-7 years might well be entirely out of your own pocket with no income coming in.

However, psychology undergraduate courses tend to be short on lecture hours, so it might be possible to work part-time during. It might also be possible to find paid relevant clinical experience.

Hope this helps. Its an awful long road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭lightspeed

thanks do you know if the masters offered in dublin business school is worthwhile towards clinical psychology?
    They have a Master of Arts in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy and a master degree in just Psychotherapy. How difficult is it to get into the master degree programmes elsewhere such as trinity and ucd?
    if you could check out this link and have a look at these courses for me that would be great.
    http://www.dbs.ie/CourseInformation/Postgraduate.htm.
    my job might be a bit flexible and it wont be until 4 years time assuming i do well in the bachelour degree. Im planning ondoing the evening degree in dublin business school in september.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Masters programs generally aren't very difficult to get on, provided you graduate with honours from your undergraduate degree.

The applied psychology course in Trinity isn't particularly difficult to get on, again provided you have an honours undergraduate degree. The universities want places filled on these courses.

The MAs in Psychotherapy you're considering sound relevant but I'm not sure as to the course content on them. My advice would be to make sure the masters you pick involves a thesis. This will demonstrate to clinical course directors that you are able to design and carry out empirical research- very important for the evidence based practice approach in clinical psychology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Lots of relevant information on the PSI and BPS websites. If you can get in to an undergrad psychology degree, that's the first hurdle. Get into a Masters with a good degree...then notch up experience (lots of competition for relevant jobs, and little pay)...then try to get into one of the Doctorates in Clinical or Counselling: huge competition for few places. Most people end up applying year after year. However as said, if you do get into Clinical you will be funded.

Check PSI and BPS for information.

Advertisement