Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

/dev/random/

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

945812_520208074730428_1447403092_n.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Maybe should be in the 50th anniv thread but thought this pic looked great:

276112.jpg

543812_606056799438379_1096536977_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

1380262_10151941913951703_604106677_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Maybe should be in the 50th anniv thread but thought this pic looked great:

276112.jpg

Christopher Eccleston has aged really badly. ;)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

279707.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just spotted this on hukd: the Key to Time Collection for £16.99. Thought it might interest some fans of the original run:

http://www.base.com/buy/product/doctor-who-the-key-to-time-collection-1979/dgc-bbcdvd2754.htm?awc=2694_1384345188_99a1410ec8b3e6c8696e09f53bf6ca9c

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

http://io9.com/the-only-book-you-need-about-the-history-of-doctor-who-1465464309

io9 have an interesting article on a new book charting the history of the show, along with various tales that spun from its production. It has some intriguing nuggets of info...

Challenging the idea of Who as a children's show:
    "BBC researcher Samantha Beere did a study in 1990, which looked at past audience research — and found that the earliest figures, from 1976, showed Doctor Who watched by 44.1 percent children and 55.9 percent adults. This went up to 78 percent adults in 1986 — contradicting the notion that Who was always primarily a children's show."

I've always had a problem with new-Who's audio and soundtrack; this bit feels like validation that it wasn't just my imagination & bias, and was a deliberate & creatively awful policy :)
    "Russell T. Davies designed the new series to be "really noisy". Because when the new Doctor Who came on the air in 2005, it was up against variety shows on the other channels, which always had a lot of loud music and over-the-top talking. So Davies wanted people flipping channels to hear equally loud, brassy music and sounds on Doctor Who, so it could compete."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

pixelburp wrote: »
    I've always had a problem with new-Who's audio and soundtrack; this bit feels like validation that it wasn't just my imagination & bias, and was a deliberate & creatively awful policy :)
    "Russell T. Davies designed the new series to be "really noisy". Because when the new Doctor Who came on the air in 2005, it was up against variety shows on the other channels, which always had a lot of loud music and over-the-top talking. So Davies wanted people flipping channels to hear equally loud, brassy music and sounds on Doctor Who, so it could compete."

At least there was logical(ish) reasoning behind it. I was expecting something like JJ. Abrams reasoning for lens flare which was 'The future's bright.' :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

tumblr_mw2wrjAdYA1r9zeo4o1_1280.jpg

...took me a while to spot the note.

ahem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

What note??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Das Kitty wrote: »
    tumblr_mw2wrjAdYA1r9zeo4o1_1280.jpg

...took me a while to spot the note.

ahem.

Noted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

A load of t-shirts are on sale on woot.com

http://shirt.woot.com/plus/doctor-who-nniversary

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Art_Wolf wrote: »
    A load of t-shirts are on sale on woot.com

http://shirt.woot.com/plus/doctor-who-nniversary
    Love the "Things Waiting In The Darkness" shirt.. although from their FAQ:
    Why isn't my state/country/province listed; do you ship internationally?
    No, we do not ship outside of the United States at this time, and certain sales may not be shipped to certain states. We do not ship to Canada, Mexico, nor to Maggie's Nipples, Wyoming or Assinippi, Massachusetts at this time.

:(

Not their best work, but I am looking forward to the next Super Café :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Now this a tone to the show I'd like to see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Stolen from YLYL

desktopChanging-2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Stolen from YLYL:
    4232_8f36.jpeg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Syfy's Blaster is reporting that Peter Jackson is apparently in "serious discussions" to direct, which will presumably start as a single episode script and turn into a "Trial of a Time Lord" like saga.

Syfy's Blaster is reporting that Peter Jackson is apparently in "serious discussions" to direct, which will presumably start as a single episode script and turn into a "Trial of a Time Lord" like saga.
    Bring RTD in to write it so he can turn his Harry Potter-themed idea into a Lord of the Rings-themed one. They already have the dragon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm really really not sure how I feel about this...

On the one hand, the nerdy side of me loves this completely and utterly.
    On the other hand, Peter Jackson hasn't directed or written anything truly great since the Frighteners. Lord of the Rings doesn't really count.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

TBH I'm sorry a film director like him didn't do the 50th.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'm really really not sure how I feel about this...

On the one hand, the nerdy side of me loves this completely and utterly.
    On the other hand, Peter Jackson hasn't directed or written anything truly great since the Frighteners. Lord of the Rings doesn't really count.

Why wouldn't it count? :confused: He may not have written the adaptation, but he knocked it out of the park with the direction. Even the extended editions added much. Admittedly I haven't see The Lovely Bones, but King Kong just suffers from the absence of an editor's scissors, with The Hobbit being the first case where he's has gone all Lucas on things imo.

If anything, the compressed schedules and reduced budgets of TV might remind him of the value of brevity. He's still a good director, just one that has lost the run of himself a little...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

pixelburp wrote: »
    Why wouldn't it count? :confused: He may not have written the adaptation, but he knocked it out of the park with the direction. Even the extended editions added much. Admittedly I haven't see The Lovely Bones, but King Kong just suffers from the absence of an editor's scissors, with The Hobbit being the first case where he's has gone all Lucas on things imo.

If anything, the compressed schedules and reduced budgets of TV might remind him of the value of brevity. He's still a good director, just one that has lost the run of himself a little...

Oh no, please do not misunderstand me. I absolutely love Peter Jackson and grew up reading Tolkein, in fact I first read the Lord of the Rings when I was 9!

I was simply saying he didn't write the Lord of Rings, which is all I meant. Whilst he did a great job directing it, especially from a visual stand point he also has a massive tendency to drag things out. The end of the Return of the King is a great example.
    But as you said, he's lost the run of himself and I fear this would impact on an episode of Doctor Who if he were to do it.

Many episodes of Doctor Who manage to get lots and lots of stuff done in a 40 minute slot, and I'm not certain Jackson can really do that. Not without at least 15 minutes of panoramic shots of New Zealand :pac:

Advertisement