Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

/dev/random/

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Why is Murray Gold's music suddenly so awesome? I mean, it was always good, but it wasn't... perfect, like it has been the last few years.

I can't remember it, but 10 had this "sad womany voice" Dr theme, and it was good and spooky, but it wasn't a patch on I am the Doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I suppose many of his latest themes are based upon or intentionaly resonant with his 11th Doctor theme (Is it called "I Am The Doctor"?) which is, in itself, AWESOME. I mean with that reference point you know it's gonna be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Does the studio version also have the Stonehenge speech latched onto the end? I've been obsessively listening to the Proms version, and it's made all the more awesomer with the barking of 'Hello Stonehenge!'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Does the studio version also have the Stonehenge speech latched onto the end? I've been obsessively listening to the Proms version, and it's made all the more awesomer with the barking of 'Hello Stonehenge!'.
    My favourite bit of the Stonehenge scene is the "Oh sorry. Dropped it" at the start. I think it's hilarious coming just before such an epic speech :)

also: http://soundcloud.com/stevexr1p/i-am-the-doctor-nintendo-remix

My favourite bit of the Stonehenge scene is the "Oh sorry. Dropped it" at the start. I think it's hilarious coming just before such an epic speech :)

also: http://soundcloud.com/stevexr1p/i-am-the-doctor-nintendo-remix

I know! It's also the cutest thing ever, which is odd considering what he's about to face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cyndaquil

I suppose many of his latest themes are based upon or intentionaly resonant with his 11th Doctor theme (Is it called "I Am The Doctor"?) which is, in itself, AWESOME. I mean with that reference point you know it's gonna be good.

11's theme is pretty awesome alright. I just hope it doesn't get over used. I like to think that when you hear the theme, you know something epic is happening. I liked Ten's "action theme" (as opposed to what Doctor Doom describes as the 'sad womanly voice theme', which was still ok), but 11's theme would have to be my favourite. Strange thought maybe, but I can imagine "I am the Doctor" (or is it "Every star, every planet"?) playing when he finally regenerates (hopefully a long while away yet), arms out stretched, brave and triumphant. A great example of how a good theme can really add to a character.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Why is Murray Gold's music suddenly so awesome? I mean, it was always good, but it wasn't... perfect, like it has been the last few years.

I can't remember it, but 10 had this "sad womany voice" Dr theme, and it was good and spooky, but it wasn't a patch on I am the Doctor.

Different direction maybe? I do wonder how composers for TV / film work; do they just go off and do their own thing based on the script or draft-edits, or do they actually get direction from the production team?

I concur though; Gold's stuff has been excellent in series 5/6, the new theme for the Doctor in particular is stirring stuff, it really gets you going. The same though can be said of the visuals too - I don't recall the Tennant years looking so ... cinematic? Epic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

pixelburp wrote: »

Different direction maybe? I do wonder how composers for TV / film work; do they just go off and do their own thing based on the script or draft-edits, or do they actually get direction from the production team?

It depends on the composer, and the amount of free rein the directors and producers are willing to give them. Most films have a producer-inserted sample score which gives an idea of the mood of the scene they're looking for, and then the composer works from there, but some composers (most notably John Williams, who can get away with it because he's famous) refuse to work with sample scores.

I'd guess what happened in Gold's case is that the producers took him into their office and said "right, this is how our new Doctor acts. These are the new companions, and this is what we want the overall feel of the show to be. Write us something that fits that." I wouldn't say his music has gotten better as such - it's still very clearly his in style, but he's struck gold (har har) with a couple of the themes - I enjoy the I Am The Doctor theme, but possibly my favourite from season 5 was the classic-sci-fi-esque Silurian theme - and he's writing less of an action score now, which suits him.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

3N0h4.png

MenX1.jpg

Pu8QM.jpg

zs5vV.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

TowzW.jpg
    SR2Za.jpg

P6tqa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

Screen_shot_2011_10_07_at_19_30_53.png

karen_david_rt_cover_party.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Hmm, for some reason, David Tennant looks like he's just stepped off the red line Luas in that picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,906 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Stark wrote: »
    Hmm, for some reason, David Tennant looks like he's just stepped off the red line Luas in that picture.

And Karen looks like she just stepped on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    karen_david_rt_cover_party.jpg

I'm a leg man, those are nice legs

• Registered Users Posts: 43,880 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm a leg man, those are nice legs
    Yeah.. they some fiiiine legs..

.. and Karen's ain't bad either!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Oh what I'd give to see Karen Gillan and David Tennant in Dr Who together!

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Oh what I'd give to see Karen Gillan and David Tennant in Dr Who together!

Roll on 2013 :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Roll on 2013 :)

You know, if anyone will do that who's still young enough, Tennant will.

Or maybe McGann (we've no idea what he ended up like before regenerating, so any age would do).

Or maybe McGann (we've no idea what he ended up like before regenerating, so any age would do).

Oh, I'm sure they could fob off some excuse or other for why all the other doctors are old if they wanted. There's a part of me that'd love to see an eleven-doctor story, even though the more practical part of me knows it'd be pure fanservice and impossible to plot. I wouldn't mind seeing ten coming face-to-face with eleven, though.
    Possibly just to see eleven lose his temper and have ten respond "I'm sorry. I am so sorry."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Plus if he's the twin other dimension Doctor hes aging normally anyway so a few grey hairs won't look odd and as twin other dimension Doctor it would be easier to plot. No crossing timelines issues. Can't see Moffat being on board for it though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Possibly just to see eleven lose his temper and have ten respond "I'm sorry. I am so sorry."

XHwVq.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

XHwVq.jpg

I hope your happy, now I have ano ther t shirt :rolleyes:

Advertisement