Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to rent a house in Coolaney!

Options
  • 18-05-2010 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi there,

My girlfriend and I, along with our one year old, are looking for a house to rent in or around Coolaney, for about 3 years (family connections there). We moved to Sligo a year ago, and though we'd moved into a long-term rental arrangement, but now the owner is trying to sell the house, bad cess to him!

So now we need to find an unfurnished house asap! We have more furniture then we need, but can't get the value for it (especially on Adverts, oh my god the stupid offers!), so we're travelling with just about everything except the kitchen sink. A well laid out 4 bed house is what we need, as we both work from home.

Anyone have the inside track on this area? We're going to put up some "House "wanted" signs in the local shops, as DAFT is only showing the same 3 houses for ages, and I know they're only short-term lets..

Thanks,

Enda.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sumatra

you should ring ocean fm and ask them to announce it...dont live in Sligo anymore but I remember whenever I had a problem i.e lost dog, some needed service they always got it for me and considering the listener status in Coolaney would be quite high I think you could get something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

How about an advert in O'Gradys shop? There are lots of empty houses in the village, so it really shouldn't be a problem.
    Or giving the Mountain Inn a call, they have some properties....don't know if they are already let.
    As for the ones on daft, I think if you got in touch they would do a longterm rent.
    Sligo Estates have some houses in the village as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The Mountain Inn have places to rent, but they're more for weekends / short term stays.

Whatever you do, don't go through Sligo Estates - I won't say why here, but if Futuresounds wants to know why, he can PM me.

O'Gradys is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Hi there,

but now the owner is trying to sell the house, bad cess to him!

Enda.

I would come to an arrangement with your landlord to stay put whilst they try and sell it , and if they sell it (ahem), agree to move out at short notice - the sale will take a month or so to complete and you should have a pick of houses to rent there are dozens of empty houses in the area - my guess is the house you are currently renting will still be on the market in 3 years time and if you like the house you are currently renting and make an offer then they will sell it to you, probably at a lower price than it is today ----but for the time being do keep renting!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭HiKite

Cheers for the replies! Yeah, we're trying to negotiate a cheaper rent with the landlord, while he puts it on the market; but they want us to pay full whack, even though we have to have the house "ready to show", and feck off out of it when they want to show it; never mind the cars pulling up outside at all times of the day etc. I don't think I was being unreasonable when I asked for a rent reduction to somehow compensate for this inconvenience, but my request didn't bode well with them!

Problem is that it's too expensive, when we moved over from Dublin we thought it was great value, and it is, compared to Dublin's prices! Now we need something cheaper, and long-term, unfurnished, most estate agents just have 3-bed semi's in this area. Anyway, I'm not going to go through agents any more, their 10% commission doesn't help matters :0)

I'll let you know what shows up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Cheers for the replies! Yeah, we're trying to negotiate a cheaper rent with the landlord, while he puts it on the market; but they want us to pay full whack, even though we have to have the house "ready to show", and feck off out of it when they want to show it; never mind the cars pulling up outside at all times of the day etc. I don't think I was being unreasonable when I asked for a rent reduction to somehow compensate for this inconvenience, but my request didn't bode well with them!

Problem is that it's too expensive, when we moved over from Dublin we thought it was great value, and it is, compared to Dublin's prices! Now we need something cheaper, and long-term, unfurnished, most estate agents just have 3-bed semi's in this area. Anyway, I'm not going to go through agents any more, their 10% commission doesn't help matters :0)

I'll let you know what shows up!

Give him your notice and get out - don't know what your'e paying but he will be hard pressed to get tenants into a house thats for sale under the terms you describe sounds like a prize banker, give him a PFO and move on. After a year and his house is still on the market he will rue his decision, or jsut tell him its like this we pay this now and we are willing to pay you this minus x in future, tell him to wake up and smell the roses. we live in a different world now it may cause ill feeling but it sounds like you have it - Don't be bullied there is loads fo rentable unfurnished property on the market - negotiate yourself a good deal then walk, but make sure you get your deposit back or work your deposit as rent for your last few weeks there.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭HiKite

Thanks westtip, we saw a great place earlier, and are making arrangements to move over the next couple of weeks. Dealing directly with the owners, they seem like nice folk, for a change!

Advertisement