Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earwigs around the house?

• 18-05-2010 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

There seam to be a lot of earwigs around my house... Not sure they are even earwigs but they look like them. I notice they are esp around the bathroom but occasionally appear in other rooms?

Does anyone know what is attracting them or how I can get rid of them?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Peachy123 wrote: »
    There seam to be a lot of earwigs around my house... Not sure they are even earwigs but they look like them. I notice they are esp around the bathroom but occasionally appear in other rooms?

Does anyone know what is attracting them or how I can get rid of them?

Thanks.

They usually like damp places. Make sure you have no rubbish/waste that is lying around the house. They are getting in somewhere, check your vents and make sure there are no gaps that they can wriggle through.

Nasty critters can give you a pinch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

Theyre probrably living behind and in the skirting, they lay eggs in there too. Look for tiny holes in wood as thats where the larva(eggs) have come from. Im pretty sure you can get people that spray some sort of teatment or smoke...I cant remember:ointo the affected area and rid you of next years offspring. Tip if to never leave bare wood round the house Skirting, architrave doors etc coz thats there favourite nesting location, Always varnish or paint or something to the equivilant.. In saying this it could also be the damp thing as said above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Peachy123

There is a small gap between the tiles in the bathroom & the skirting board which is where I see them most - I guess that's where they're living so! It's in the bathroom so I guess it might be a bit damp from the shower etc

Not sure how I'm really going to solve this though? The skirting board is painted - if I get them smoked out / sprayed out will they not just come back again? I'm having visions of having to rip out all the tiles in the bathroom as they must be in the wood under them?

Thanks for your help guys - any suggestions on what to do next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dutch62

Earwigs live mainly outside under things like potted plants or in the mulch. Dry out what you can and move the pots around. Apply baits (you can get at store like Lowes) caulk obvious spots and make sure your doorways have good seal.

Advertisement