Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overdrive. Recommend me some. Please and Thank You.

• 18-05-2010 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

So, the mighty Matamp is gone. The next meet up will not require earplugs!
    So, its been replaced with a Torres Tiny Tone. 2 watts of handwired point to point valveyness through a Weber 8" Alnico Blue Clone. Feel the power baby!!
    Right, it does a really sweet clean but little or no dirt and once again I'm on the hunt for a good overdrive. The only really good OD pedal I've owned or used was the Fulltone Fulldrive II Mosfet edition which now resides with Doc J. What else is good out there? The OCD seems nice but very full on compared to the Fulldrive - anyone have any experience with 'em?
    Money is not the issue, I dont mind spending when its going to be the sole source of dirt for the foreseeable future. All recommendations welcome! Boutique or cheap as chips, if you liked it let me know why, and what gear you used it with.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

The Ibanez Tube Screamer Keeley Mod is the best overdrive I've ever played. One of my mates has one but its way beyond my price range. It'll probably end up costing in and around 300! But it's a really nice, smooth and clear overdrive. Really versatile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

The Maxxon OD808 i think would be on the same level, but less expensive.

But the Blackstar HT Dual Overdrive is special. I have Xotic BB Plus, Fulltone Mosfet, Carl Martin Plexitone and others. The Blackstar have some special gear available at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

good ole fulldrive mosfet 2, bb+ and tubescreamers are yo friend... i do like a keeley ts9 i have too

bb+ probably gets my vote from them

i still never managed to pick one of them BB's up :(

-=al=- wrote: »
    good ole fulldrive mosfet 2, bb+ and tubescreamers are yo friend... i do like a keeley ts9 i have too

bb+ probably gets my vote from them

i still never managed to pick one of them BB's up :(

I have. :)

The Blackstar HT Dual is more natural sounding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭boycey

The Maxxon OD808 i think would be on the same level, but less expensive.

But the Blackstar HT Dual Overdrive is special. I have Xotic BB Plus, Fulltone Mosfet, Carl Martin Plexitone and others. The Blackstar have some special gear available at the moment.

If you have time tell me a litttle about each one Darren, the Blackstar, Maxxon and Xotic are all on my hitlist - I've been checking out online vids on each one. I really was very impressed with the 'transparency' (a very overused term when it comes to 'boutique' pedals but true in the Fulltones case) of the Fulltone and liked what it did, I'd be interested to see what you thought of the others vs the Fulltone. In this case its gonna be amp completely clean, pedal for the crunch and lead so versatility is the name of the game.

Thanks to you other guys too, very helpful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

First of all...... you're dead when I next see you and you know why :mad:

Secondly check out the TC Electronics overdrives. ;)

I hate you...

Ste, I've let myself down, I've let my family down, I've let Jeff and the good folks at Meltham down. I can live with all that. But when I think I've let you down, that hurts. BTW I'm strongly thinking of drugging you and stealing your First Lady at the next shindig. I reckon I can coat my face in some sort of tranquiliser, that should absorb through your knuckles fairly quickly as you give me a hiding!! Just giving you fair warning:D.

I'll go check out some of those TC pedals. I forgot abouth those!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

The First Lady is booby twapped. :) If anyone who previously sold a member of her family even comes close.......... well just try it!

To the GAS forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

The guy who made a bunch of pedals for me (Ian from Guttermouth Electronics) sent me an overdrive late last year when he returned another pedal that was being fixed.

It's a killer little pedal with three types of clipping, a bass cut switch (to stop help flabbiness in certain amps), volume and gain. Sounds very nice and reacts well to touch. I'll bring it along to the next meetup if I remember.

518bbeb4.jpg

Just a quick phone pic of it.

He's very reasonably priced and will tailor the pedals to what you want. Provides killer clips too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

+1 for the Blackstar HT Dual, I constantly sing the praises of mine. I use it for a decent variety of music and it hasn't let me down and it's liked every amp I've used it with, including making my dodgy unknown brand practice amp of doom sound half decent. (only half mind, it's not THAT good ;)) Just to note I've used it with a Champ 600, Marshall MG, Laney hardcore something or other and a Blackstar artisan and with the champ and the artisan it really complimented the warmth of the tube sound.

The Tubescreamer is also great, don't own one myself but with the mod its pretty damn nice. Perfect for lead, but I've never really tried rhythm with one, only had a quick go, can't remember what I used it with either.

If you're looking at the more budget end of things, a mate of mine bought a marshall bluesbreaker pedal a few years ago and it sounded far better than I expected it to, but it was fairly limited in terms of variety of tone, so you'd really want that blues overdrive sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have the OCD v4 and i love it. I have to say it's one of those things that i really wasn't that mad about when i got it. I thought it didn't have enough bite and was overly warm through my Blues Deluxe. But after a while of tweaking, and using it along with my Drive channel it really comes alive!

Oh and by the way, i also run it through my Champion 600 with 5" weber AlNiCo speaker and it sounds awesome. My Champ seems similar to your amp, it stays very clean all the way up to twelve, the OCD pushes the valves over the edge and it's awesome...i actually haven't jammed with my Champ for a couple of weeks now. It's time!

I have a TS9 too, which i love, they're both very different imo, i wouldn't consider the two similar at all really.

boycey wrote: »
    If you have time tell me a litttle about each one Darren, the Blackstar, Maxxon and Xotic are all on my hitlist - I've been checking out online vids on each one. I really was very impressed with the 'transparency' (a very overused term when it comes to 'boutique' pedals but true in the Fulltones case) of the Fulltone and liked what it did, I'd be interested to see what you thought of the others vs the Fulltone. In this case its gonna be amp completely clean, pedal for the crunch and lead so versatility is the name of the game.

Thanks to you other guys too, very helpful!

The Blackstar HT Dual has 2 channels. The second one has a ton of gain on tap. Both have separate gain and volume controls, very handy. And the pedal has full eq of bass, mids and treble. Warm overdrive with a 12AX7 in there.

Fulltone Mosfet i compared today with the HT Dual. More crunchy breakup sounding. Not as warm as the HT.

Xotic is tranparent alright. I don't see the deal with transparency. Sounds characterless to me. But i am a Marshall crunch player.

The Blackstar HT Dual has 2 channels. The second one has a ton of gain on tap. Both have separate gain and volume controls, very handy. And the pedal has full eq of bass, mids and treble. Warm overdrive with a 12AX7 in there.

Fulltone Mosfet i compared today with the HT Dual. More crunchy breakup sounding. Not as warm as the HT.

Xotic is tranparent alright. I don't see the deal with transparency. Sounds characterless to me. But i am a Marshall crunch player.

Nice one Darren, that's the kind of pedal to pedal comparison I was hoping for. The Blackstars sound tempting alright, decent price too. Decisions decisions!
    I'm actually getting a lend of a few pedals off a mate (and occasional poster Zafo). He's building some great clones now so i'm getting a Zvex Super Hardon and TS808 off him to see how they sound. I'll post a mini review of his pedals for anyone interested!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

never liked the hard on myslef, 808's are cool

Advertisement