Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recomend me Jazz

Options
  • 18-05-2010 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hey. I'm looking for the names of good Jazz albums/artists. I'm new to jazz and don't have any friends who are into the style (I'm swimming in trad.:(). My interest started from listening to Stevie Wonder. Currently I'm listening to Duke Ellington, Bille Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong , Stephani Grappelli and Cole Porter. I don't really like experimental Jazz but am open to suggestions. If anyone can recomend anything, I'd be very greatful.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Rigsby

No jazz collection is complete without Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" and John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme".

Other names you could check out on You Tube to see if you like them are :

Charles Mingus

Michael Brecker

Stan Getz

Eric Dolphy

Wayne Shorter

Bud Powell

Art Tatum

Bill Evans (piano) - There is a saxist by the same name who is good also.

"Cannonall" Adderly

Joe Lovano

Rick Margitza

John MacLaughlan

Kenny Garrett

Charlie Parker

Finally, dont forget to check out our very own Louis Stewart.

That should keep you going ... for a few years. ;)

Happy listening !

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

check this out

http://www.jazzonthetube.com/

subscribe and they send you a youtube clip every day - usually some dead great. The clips are usually excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

give these a listen

swing jazz

benny Goodmen - sing,sing,sing

my favourite jazz group

Dave brubeck quartet - take five

Dave brubeck quartet - blue rondo a la turk

wes montgomery - four on six

miles davis - so what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Woow_Aqualung

wonton wrote: »
    give these a listen

swing jazz

benny Goodmen - sing,sing,sing

I've always wondered the name of that song.
    All very good suggestions.
    @Rigsby I'm working my way down your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Rigsby I'm working my way down your list.

Great !! Let me know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

I'm far from knowledgeable on Jazz but I do enjoy it and jazz fusion genres, and have come across a few bits that are kinda cool. Some of this might not be your cup of tea at all, but maybe worth a listen anyway.

I came across Japanese jazz through Yoko Kanno who writes a lot of music for video games and anime series in Japan. Don't let that put you off though, she writes some great Japanese jazz. You could try find the soundtrack to Cowboy Bebop, which is a mix of jazz tracks and blues tracks, youtube "the Seatbelts" to hear some of the stuff she's composed.

Soil & Pimp Sessions title themselves as "Japanese Death Jazz", so it's always pretty uptempo, sometimes quite jazzy, sometimes more a jazz/rock fusion, but worth a listen.

For more 'pure' jazz from Japan, try people like Toshiko Akiyoshi, Sadao Watanabe or Norio Maeda.

Not Japanese, but 'The Baldwin Brothers' do a kind of jazz/electro fusion. Again, some of the tracks are more Jazz than others, but there's some cool stuff.

Similar to that would be someone like Mr Scruff, but that's probably more electro than Jazz.

Like I said, maybe not your thing at all, but worth a shot I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 46 franamico

I would suggest to check Carla Bley and Maria Schneider...amazing composers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I really love Kind of Blue by Miles Davis and I have been listening to it a lot for the last year. My problem is that it is the only jazz/blues album I own. There seems to be so much out there I don't even know where to start. I tried some John Coltrane but it seems a bit fast, if you understand what I mean. Does anyone know of anything similar to Kind of Blue? It really is perfect from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

It all began in 1959:

- Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
    - Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    - Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come
    - Dave Brubeck - Time Out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Bingo! That Charles Mingus album is just what I've been looking for. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Woow_Aqualung

Yeah I've got "Roots and Blues" and "Tonight at Noon" by Charles Mingus. I've also got an album called "Money Jungle" which is him, Duke Ellington and Max Roach. Very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Yeah I've got "Roots and Blues" and "Tonight at Noon" by Charles Mingus. I've also got an album called "Money Jungle" which is him, Duke Ellington and Max Roach. Very good.

All smashing stuff.
    I also like "The Clown"

And this video which I have just listened to 4 times on the trot...

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Fatgoogle

Theolonius Monk is what got me into jazz, and so i always go o him for some good playing.
    Charles mingus
    Dextor Gordon
    Dave brubeck
    Ocar peterson.

Those are some of my favourites anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Hobknob

Some suggestions to give you a good round feel for the genre

Herbie Hancock - Fat albert rotunda
    Dexter Gordon - Go
    Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
    Bill Evans - From left to right
    Chick Corea - My spanish heart