Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should there be an end period for the Dole?

• 18-05-2010 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

A lot of people complain about this and that these days but you'll find some people complaining that actually never worked.

I think now that we're having so many problems with finance in Ireland that we should have a cut off point for the dole. I mean if someone can't get a job after 5 years...why should they deserve anything. They're not contributing.

People that stay on the dole for life generally tend to be given a free house, while also receiving other benefits. I think this has to change to benefit our country's mentality. The "fair play to them if they can get away with it" has to end.

Should there be an end period for the dole (Eg 5 years)? 136 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 136 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

perhaps when there was jobs they should have been forced but now, sure what can ya do, it's a recession session

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It should run concurrently with a cut-off period for dole-related threads as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

As much as it would make sense, I don't ever see the Government cutting off the only source of income for their constituents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

well people are assessed after a year so there dole can be cut down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

There is already an end date for the dole. If you are unemployed for longer than a year, you are means tested & if your income is higher than the allowed limit, your dole is either reduced or stopped.

It suits a lot more people than it should & doesn't help a lot of those who need it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

2012, because the end of the world happens then, i read it in OK! magazine. Anything Jordan says must be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mise_me_fein1

stovelid wrote: »
    It should run concurrently with a cut-off period for dole-related threads as well.

Some people don't spend as much time on boards.ie as you....I hope you understand friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Some people don't spend as much time on boards.ie as you....I hope you understand friend.

I'm not your friend?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

There might be an end to the dole altogether if the IMF are called in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yes

Then how about an end period for paying taxes when you work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

wahey! another dole thread. tip fcuking top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Biggins wrote: »
    :confused:

Me neither :confused:

Does not compute!!!

*head explodes*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

I think it should be increased 20% year on year..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

There might be an end to the dole altogether if the IMF are called in.

Not going to happen!

There might be an end to the dole altogether if the IMF are called in, end of.

Let's hope so.....I mean a complete end I would not want that but we're in a country were it's more convienient not to work than to do anything.

I know lots of people that don't work because it's not worth it.....they're quite content as it is....how many countries in the world have this situation?

How many countries in the world have this situation and owe as much as we do?

Let's hope so.....I mean a complete end I would not want that but we're in a country were it's more convienient not to work than to do anything.

I know lots of people that don't work because it's not worth it.....they're quite content as it is....how many countries in the world have this situation?

How many countries in the world have this situation and owe as much as we do?

There's always one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

When this patethic government sort their **** out and start tackling the unemployment rate, then you can put a limit on the dole. Until then, in addition to the dole, they should be providing us with plane tickets to get out of this stagnant ****hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

DarkJager wrote: »
    When this patethic government sort their **** out and start tackling the unemployment rate, then you can put a limit on the dole. Until then, in addition to the dole, they should be providing us with plane tickets to get out of this stagnant ****hole.

Sure you can fly to Greece! Yay!

Seriously though, sometimes perspective is needed.

bryaner wrote: »
    There's always one

Thanks...

self employed = create employment, pay tax, work hard and perhaps deal with stress.....NO DOLE

Long term unemployed = large possibilty not trained in anything, never contributed to society, free house, free health, many allowances, no intention on looking for work...... SUSTAINED BY THE VERY PEOPLE THAT WILL NOT RECEIVE DOLE IF THEY GO BELLY UP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

ha I was day dreaming about winning the 100 million on the Euro lotto last week and thought it would be so nice to just give everyone on job seekers an extra 50/100 Euro for the June bank holiday weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

I know lots of people that don't work because it's not worth it.....they're quite content as it is...
    QUOTE]

Mise mé féin (Me Myself) Your username sums you up.

Go educate yourself. Better still apply for over 300 jobs over 5 years and not a chance of an interview, yet still keep going.

Find out what life is really like for the majority of people who are long term unemployed and absolutely ****ing hate it every day of their waking lives and would do anything to be in a job.

Do not lie. You do not know lots of people who are content they are ****ing accepting their situation and how dare you make such ignorant threads and make such assumptions about people who are struggling day to day?

Not going to happen!
    Is there a generous Dole in Greece or Iceland that would match ours? I doubt it.

There are plenty of countries in the EU with duck egg offered for those out of work.

Just last week the Government was told by the EU that it would have to foreword its budget sheets prior to any budget, If things get bad they could turn around and tell us all to fcuk off, as easy as that.

They will be the ones bailing us out.

Thanks...

self employed = create employment, pay tax, work hard and perhaps deal with stress.....NO DOLE

Long term unemployed = large possibilty not trained in anything, never contributed to society, free house, free health, many allowances, no intention on looking for work...... SUSTAINED BY THE VERY PEOPLE THAT WILL NOT RECEIVE DOLE IF THEY GO BELLY UP

Their always there and always have been! Your just noticing them now, I know where your coming from I worked 20 years straight from school, got let go 1.5 years ago and as soon as my stamps ran out NADA squat didly.. Quite annoying
    but cutting the dole of people let go in the last 5 years is not the answer. I could walk around my estate and pick out 20 mother lazy fcukers that have never worked in their lives their the fcuks to get first.

Is there a generous Dole in Greece or Iceland that would match ours? I doubt it.

There are plenty of countries in the EU with duck egg offered for those out of work.

Just last week the Government was told by the EU that it would have to foreword its budget sheets prior to any budget, If things get bad they could turn around and tell us all to fcuk off, as easy as that.

They will be the ones bailing us out.

Do you read the paper or watch the news?

[QUOTE= Darlughda;.
    Go educate yourself. Better still apply for over 300 jobs over 5 years and not a chance of an interview, yet still keep going.

Find out what life is really like for the majority of people who are long term unemployed and absolutely ****ing hate it every day of their waking lives and would do anything to be in a job.

Do not lie. You do not know lots of people who are content they are ****ing accepting their situation and how dare you make such ignorant threads and make such assumptions about people who are struggling day to day?[/I][/B]QUOTE]

I know the people you are talking about...you mean those people that "couldn't find work" during the good years....ah yes those people.

The people that never went to FAS to get trained in anything? Those people?

I've seen people searching for bits of pieces out of a bin when I lived in a different country here in Europe.
    Those people who won't get trained in anything, that have never given anything to this country don't know how good they have....and YES, I do expect the IMF to come in and sort out our expenses and I'm sure the dole will go down and down and this won't bother most people because most people, most normal people will have found a job in 5 or 6 years when things pick up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Not a fucking chance. What if someone who genuinly can't get a job and has a family to support? So now because it's taking him a bit of time to find work, he has to suffer, and therefore, so do his family?

Fuck right off!!!

I know the people you are talking about...you mean those people that "couldn't find work" during the good years....ah yes those people.

The people that never went to FAS to get trained in anything? Those people?

I've seen people searching for bits of pieces out of a bin when I lived in a different country here in Europe.
    Those people who won't get trained in anything, that have never given anything to this country don't know how good they have....and YES, I do expect the IMF to come in and sort out our expenses and I'm sure the dole will go down and down and this won't bother most people because most people, most normal people will have found a job in 5 or 6 years when things pick up.

Careful with your ignorance. You have no idea the hardship some people have experienced during the 'boom' years. 'Boom' for some maybe. During those years many people who were already experiencing difficulty, are now even worse off. The so called boom made the gap between rich and poor wider. Despite how many useless fás courses they threw themselves into.

Hey Darlughda.....there was plenty of work in the book years?

If you couldn't get a job in Ireland during the boom years....wtf??

This is one of the most loved up countries on the planet.

We give money, to loads of people for nothing.

When you wonder why you're getting a huge tax bill that nearly puts you out of business and think to yourself....hmm where does this money go...when you're suicidal....and you look across the street at the family that has brought up their kids only to exist and sponge and claim benefits....woud you ever you and fcuk yourself Darlughda....you IGNORANT FCUK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

When you wonder why you're getting a huge tax bill that nearly puts you out of business and think to yourself....hmm where does this money go...when you're suicidal....and you look across the street at the family that has brought up their kids only to exist and sponge and claim benefits....woud you ever you and fcuk yourself Darlughda....you IGNORANT FCUK

Delighted you said that, cheerio!

Do you read the paper or watch the news?
    You don't need to read the paper or the news, just do a simple Google search.. .

Dell are paying Polish workers in Lotz less than half what the scratch is here and they are also in the EU,

Do you honestly think these EU Parlament beaurocrats are going to give us any preferential treatment over them if it came down to the crunch.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

You think removing benefits is going to sort out the mess?? You think telling people, 'Tough sh!t if you can't pay your rent' is some kind of solution? Will these people simply curl up in a box with their families? I think not! You'll have an increase in crime such as muggings and burglaries. You'll have more people turning to drugs etc and create ghetto's and slums. People will then get trapped in poverty and society as a whole will suffer. There will be a class divide, and a bitterness that will fester. No good will come of it.

You really haven't thought about this at all have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

AAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...woud you ever you and fcuk yourself Darlughda....you IGNORANT FCUK
    Not good. Exposes mentality. Bye.

You don't need to read the paper or the news, just do a simple Google search.. .

Dell are paying Polish workers in Lotz less than half what the scratch is here and they are also in the EU,

Do you honestly think these EU Parlament beaurocrats are going to give us any preferential treatment over them if it came down to the crunch.?

I'm talking about ECB 750 Billion package and also Irish bonds selling like hot cakes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

shocking!

No prob doing it here if a sliced pan costs the same as in Poland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

woud you ever you and fcuk yourself Darlughda....you IGNORANT FCUK

Banned for personal abuse.

There's a friend of mine who got laid off 2 years ago - he's an engineer, so the likelyhood of him getting a job anytime soon in that sector in Ireland is slim to f*ck all.

He no longer gets the dole as his stamps ran out. They means tested him & because his wife earns just over €35k, he now gets nothing. Appearantly they don't even take into account mortgage payments into their calculations. He decided to try & go back to college to do something completely different, but as he's already got a 3rd level education, he'll get no grants or state supports, so he can't afford to do that. Between the mortgage payments, food & house bills and a small loan, himself & the missus just about get by. I offered to help him out with the college fees & some petrol money each month, but he's a proud man & won't take it - he's already finding it very hard & demeaning to have to ask the missus for a few quid each week to do the shopping.

This is a guy who is educated, wants to work, can't get a job, would love to re-educate himself, can't afford to & yet has paid over 10 years of PRSI into a system that gives nothing back.

I have another mate who went straight onto the dole when he left school & has been getting welfare benefits for almost 15 years now. He knows every trick in the book - he works part time, but only on the days & up to the number of hours such that they won't reduce his dole payments. His girlfriend is the same. They've also got a kid & she gets single mothers benefit as they say they aren't living together. They've also got a rather nice house from the council, basically rent free.

This is a guy who is not educated, wants to work as little as possible, couldn't be ars*d going to college & has paid feck all PRSI into a system that gives him a lot back (& keeps on giving).

There is something deeply & inheritantly flawed with our social welfare system. It breeds dependancy on handouts, promotes single motherhood and fails to support those who paid into the system, even in times when they need it the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Bolag_the_2nd

I admit i didnt read all the posts, IMO, no, i worked all my life, part time job at the moment, all i can get. i am highly qualified, live in a remote part of Galway, no jobs in my area, its not my fault that i apply for the days im not working, bet there is a lot of folk out there like me :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear about your own troubles, these are indeed stressful times for many people. Wanting others to be FUBARed is not then solution for you though is it? All that will achieve is making others miserable as well as yourself. I know what you mean about being honest and doing everything by the rules etc can sometimes feel like a punishable offence, as others not so honest are spoonfed while the honest man is up to his neck in stress. I'd more think of something to solve this apparent injustice, than to simply wish misery on those across the road from ye.

Anyway, I hope things work out.

Yeah. I spent the 'boom' years working voluntarily with people who were suicidal. Many of whom were desperate and secretive about it, because everybody around them was telling them they were utter failures if they could not or did not work.

Meanwhile, these people diligently applied for job after job, I helped them with forms and basic literacy skills.

They suffered worrying about their children's future, and saved every penny they could so their kids could have a normal life and maybe some hope in the future, despite the fact that they were stuck in a poverty situation with drugs, crime etc at every corner beckoning with the lure of an easier life and a life without daily harrasment from the local gangs.

Nobody would employ these decent people then and they won't now. Some of these people who were truly good people have now suicided. They believed there was no hope and there was nothing I could do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anto86

there should be a cut of point yes i know a few people that have never worked a day in there life lazy gits and my tax credits had ran out & i had to be means tested and my money was dropped while these people got more then me and all they do all day is get drunk when iv been working paying tax from 16 years of age :mad:

He no longer gets the dole as his stamps ran out. They means tested him & because his wife earns just over €35k, he now gets nothing. Appearantly they don't even take into account mortgage payments into their calculations. He decided to try & go back to college to do something completely different, but as he's already got a 3rd level education, he'll get no grants or state supports, so he can't afford to do that. Between the mortgage payments, food & house bills and a small loan, himself & the missus just about get by. I offered to help him out with the college fees & some petrol money each month, but he's a proud man & won't take it - he's already finding it very hard & demeaning to have to ask the missus for a few quid each week to do the shopping.

This is a guy who is educated, wants to work, can't get a job, would love to re-educate himself, can't afford to & yet has paid over 10 years of PRSI into a system that gives nothing back.

I have another mate who went straight onto the dole when he left school & has been getting welfare benefits for almost 15 years now. He knows every trick in the book - he works part time, but only on the days & up to the number of hours such that they won't reduce his dole payments. His girlfriend is the same. They've also got a kid & she gets single mothers benefit as they say they aren't living together. They've also got a rather nice house from the council, basically rent free.

This is a guy who is not educated, wants to work as little as possible, couldn't be ars*d going to college & has paid feck all PRSI into a system that gives him a lot back (& keeps on giving).

There is something deeply & inheritantly flawed with our social welfare system. It breeds dependancy on handouts, promotes single motherhood and fails to support those who paid into the system, even in times when they need it the most.

Sorry, I'm just curious. Will he be entitled to dole again after a certain amount of years unemployed? Or is that it? I'm not sure how the system works. I thought you got 'benefit' and then went to 'assistance' when the benefit ran out. Could you tell me how this 'actually' works, as it sounds worse than I first thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭theboxer

We should scratch the one payment across the board system. Why should the worker get the same payment as the leeches?

Ist Six Months - 75% of your previous salary.
    After Six Months - 50%
    After a Year - 25%
    Second Year - Congratulations, your food stamps are in the post.

For those whom have paid less than 100 PRSI contributions, heres a nice and crisp fifty euro note. Dont spend it all at once. Gotta last you the week.:)

JimiTime wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm just curious. Will he be entitled to dole again after a certain amount of years unemployed? Or is that it? I'm not sure how the system works. I thought you got 'benefit' and then went to 'assistance' when the benefit ran out. Could you tell me how this 'actually' works, as it sounds worse than I first thought.

Nope - that's it for him unless he can find a job & pay more PRSI. Benefit is your entitlement if you've paid in enough PRSI. It lasts for up to a year & then you may or may not qualify for assistance, which is means tested.

The means test criteria is quite bizarre though as it seems not to take reality into account - ie., the amount of PAYE you pay, health levies, mortgage payments etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭theboxer

There's a friend of mine who got laid off 2 years ago - he's an engineer.....

The crazy thing is, if your pal "breaks up" with the missus and moves out, he would be able to claim rent allowance and receive 200 euro every week. It is a deeply, deeply flawed system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

A lot of people complain about this and that these days but you'll find some people complaining that actually never worked.

I think now that we're having so many problems with finance in Ireland that we should have a cut off point for the dole. I mean if someone can't get a job after 5 years...why should they deserve anything. They're not contributing.

People that stay on the dole for life generally tend to be given a free house, while also receiving other benefits. I think this has to change to benefit our country's mentality. The "fair play to them if they can get away with it" has to end.

Compare pre- recession live register figures with the present and rethink. Did this current cohort decide to down tools in the hope of a free house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭baldbear

It's silly talking about cutting peoples dole off after a certain time. About 6 years ago there were about 100k people on the dole. This was a time when we had to get people from other countries to do come over do what those other lazy buggers wouldn't do. These are the people whose dole should be cut not the poor suckers who have been recently let go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anto86

baldbear wrote: »
    It's silly talking about cutting peoples dole off after a certain time. About 6 years ago there were about 100k people on the dole. This was a time when we had to get people from other countries to do come over do what those other lazy buggers wouldn't do. These are the people whose dole should be cut not the poor suckers who have been recently let go.

+1 from me

• Advertisement
Advertisement