Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horstmann Economy 7 Quartz! Help!

Options
  • 18-05-2010 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hello all!

I'm not sure if I'm writing this in the right place. I just moved into an apartment and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to work the water heater! Does anyone have any experience with this particular model?! Horstmann Economy 7 Quartz. I'm used to having an electric shower and/or an easy immersion but this looks so complicated to work! I can't set the timer as there is no dial to do so?! I read on another forum that you have to take the front off to set it? Also I'm so not familiar with this kind of water heating so I'm not sure when I should be heating the water i.e to keep costs down?! I found these user instructions online but once again it doesn't say how to set the timer! I'm so confused! Also there is a picture of it so people can maybe figure it out! :confused: I would seriously appreciate any type of help! Thanks! http://www.horstmann.co.uk/downloads/ElectronicDocuments/Electric-Water-Heating/E7Q-UserGuide.PDF

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

1 Turn the clock on it so its set to the proper time of day
    2 Leave the switch turned on - It should heat up every night and you will have hot water in morning. If you are going away for few days turn the switch Off. If you run out of water during the day turn the boost button on - it will heat the water for 2 hrs max.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jujuB

I did everything you said except I dont have any idea what time it is set to because there is no timer dial visable!! The dial that IS visable is to set the currant time. As I said, I think I may have to take the front cover off to set the timer but Im not sure, so confusing! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

Sorry for dragging up an old post I have the same problem I have no idea how to set the timer, I would like to have hot water for between 7am-9am does anybody know how to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Sorry for dragging up an old post I have the same problem I have no idea how to set the timer, I would like to have hot water for between 7am-9am does anybody know how to do this?
    As Johnpt says, just set the dial on the front to the current time of day. Note the summer/winter hour difference - currently it's winter time.
    The time the water is heated is pre-programmed into the timer, so you make no more adjustments. It heats the entire tank overnight on the cheap rate electricity so should be nice and hot by 7am. :)

You use the boost dial if there's no water left later in the day. It heats half the tank at a quicker rate (like the sink setting on a standard immersion).

cast_iron wrote: »
    As Johnpt says, just set the dial on the front to the current time of day. Note the summer/winter hour difference - currently it's winter time.
    The time the water is heated is pre-programmed into the timer, so you make no more adjustments. It heats the entire tank overnight on the cheap rate electricity so should be nice and hot by 7am. :)

You use the boost dial if there's no water left later in the day. It heats half the tank at a quicker rate (like the sink setting on a standard immersion).

Thats great thanks mil for the reply because i couldn't get my head around it i'm used to timers with teeth on them! so just to clarify does that mean i turn the clock around and say for example its 4pm I put 16 under the line that says winter time? and when the clocks change end of march do i need to change the clock again? its the winter time / summer time that's confusing me? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Thats great thanks mil for the reply because i couldn't get my head around it i'm used to timers with teeth on them! so just to clarify does that mean i turn the clock around and say for example its 4pm I put 16 under the line that says winter time? and when the clocks change end of march do i need to change the clock again? its the winter time / summer time that's confusing me? :confused:
    Yes. If setting it now, set the winter time line to 16.30. And change it to the Summer line when the hour goes forward. If you don't, it just means one hour may be billed at the day rate which is much higher.

cast_iron wrote: »
    Yes. If setting it now, set the winter time line to 16.30. And change it to the Summer line when the hour goes forward. If you don't, it just means one hour may be billed at the day rate which is much higher.

That's brilliant it makes sense now, I'll give it a try tomorrow thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Actually you shouldn't change the time on the dial timeswitch when moving from winter to summer time. The ESB dual rate meter contains a timer which is not adjusted either. So in winter time make sure the correct time is showing against the winter mark, and in summer time just use the summer mark - no adjustment of the dial will be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055400462

there are two downloadable PDFs on this sticky thread about how to adjust this timer./

Pete67 wrote: »
    Actually you shouldn't change the time on the dial timeswitch when moving from winter to summer time. The ESB dual rate meter contains a timer which is not adjusted either. So in winter time make sure the correct time is showing against the winter mark, and in summer time just use the summer mark - no adjustment of the dial will be needed.
    Stoner wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055400462

there are two downloadable PDFs on this sticky thread about how to adjust this timer./

That's great thanks for the info, I'll have a look now at that PDF as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭uli84

sorry for reviving quite an old thread but though itd be good if everything is in one place. Just wondering- timers on Quartz are pre set. Now our apartment is quite big but only 3 of us living in it. The timer is set for 7-8 hrs on a night tariff surely) to accommodate more people I'd imagine-is it not a waste? i.e.-does it heat through those 8hrs every night or it only heats up for as long it takes to top up the usage from the previous day? I am not exactly an electrician to change it;)but wouldn't like to pay for what seems to be water heating for about 6-7 people. Thanks for any advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

any i've seen are 3 or 4 hrs off-peak heating
    if i recall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭uli84

sorry to be a pain, maybe im reading it wrong, just attached the pic- arent the black stripes areas the ones when it is on?

uli84 wrote: »
    sorry to be a pain, maybe im reading it wrong, just attached the pic- arent the black stripes areas the ones when it is on?
    not sure
    can you turn the dial and check?

http://www.horstmann.co.uk/downloads/ElectronicDocuments/Electric-Water-Heating/E7Q-InstallationInstructions.pdf

seems to be adjustable between 4 and 7hrs

doesn't say what factory preset is
    if i recall it's prob 4hrs
    you will know if you turn dial anyhow

There is a digital version available now - more user friendly - you can set 3 different off-peak periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 derryos

On my E7 Quartz (non digital model), the timer is set from 11:30 pm to 3:30 am and again from ~5am to 9:30am:
    2012-11-14%2023.27.10-crop.jpg

Seems slightly overkill for a 2 person apartment?

Also, maybe i'm missing something but most other timers just go on for an hour or so before they are needed - how come these need to be on for 4 hrs; isn't keeping the water warm rather than boiling it at the end just wasting electricity?

I seen the defaults about 4.5 to 7 hrs but the above seems overkill?
    JOHNPT wrote: »
    There is a digital version available now - more user friendly - you can set 3 different off-peak periods.

Its only set for one period at night - turn the dial and u will see what time it comes on - turn dial back to correct time after.
    It still probably an overkill - thats why the new digital version better

• Registered Users Posts: 8 derryos

Thanks for the reply John.

Just checked and it comes on at 3:30 and goes off at 8:30 (so the timer is not based on when the black-out part is hit, it starts on the first black-white change and ends on the 2nd).

Other places i've lived, the heating comes on for ~1-2 hrs in the morning for showers and that is it. I know this uses the night rate but still 5hrs seems like a long time but i get the impression everyone with the old digital model is like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Padington

Hi guys, sorry to be chirping in a little late on this thread.

I've just opened my E7. It seems from the design that there is no physical way to switch the cams such that you will have less than 4 hours heating each night. This is because there is a "lock" between the blue and orange cam that allows you to adjust between 4 and 7 hours (at any time of day) but no longer and no shorter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Need to ask a question on this too. Have had this timer for 5 years and never had an issue, but 3 weeks ago i had an all out power cut in my apt when i came home one evening and now the nightime timer wont kick in at all.

It works fine on boost but its a pain as i just about get a 5-10minute shower from that half tank boost. Any ideas? Could a fuse or something have gone in the powercut? I never had to touch the dial ever in 5 years and always had hot water so its annoying that i cant fix this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 audi tom

Hi all

Ive find this water heater fairly annoying. Theres just two of us in our apartment and we dont need it heating for 4 hours but there seems no other way to set it so that you can have it come on for an hour or two at night.
    Does anyone know what wattage these heaters are? I want to calculate the cost of running it...Have crazy high electricity bills for a small one bed apartment and I think this maybe the culprit.

Thanks

audi tom wrote: »
    Hi all

Ive find this water heater fairly annoying. Theres just two of us in our apartment and we dont need it heating for 4 hours but there seems no other way to set it so that you can have it come on for an hour or two at night.
    Does anyone know what wattage these heaters are? I want to calculate the cost of running it...Have crazy high electricity bills for a small one bed apartment and I think this maybe the culprit.

Thanks
    prob about 3kw-it'll be at the cheaper rate though

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Astuliukyte

Hi. I need so much help! I will go crazy soon with this boiler! :-( i read all your comments and cant deside, which time is the best to set the timer during the night? Offcourse, that it use electrisity as minimum as it can? Maybe someone could tell me? :-)
    I set few times on 24.30.. But in the morning the timer on that line "summer/winter" time shows 12 and its still turning around i think.. Is that means, that all night and day the electrisity is running???
    All in all, in the morning I had hot water.. Didnt washed dishes, didnt use the shower, just turn on washing mashine. And guess what happened? I went to shower and there was no more warm water at all!!!
    I will go crazy...

Im still having problems with mine. ESB checked meters and they're fine, heating is working so the Devi reg controller is working (i think) properly. Its this stupid timer. Even though its set to come on at 24 (midnight) it doesnt. I can hear the night meter "clunk" in but the timer doesnt seem to recognise this now, when it did before. The boost function works on it, but "boosting" it meant i had a MASSIVE bill the last 2 times. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

the timer has gone faulty on it... I had to replace one only last week with the same problem...They are not a cheap timer... between 80-100 euro but you can leave all in place and just replace the face of it...

the timer has gone faulty on it... I had to replace one only last week with the same problem...They are not a cheap timer... between 80-100 euro but you can leave all in place and just replace the face of it...

Where did you buy it from Diggerdunne? Is it easy enough to replace? Im clueless, but i cant afford to get an electrician out to spend hours faffing around if its a simple enough job ;)

i got it in a local elec wholesaler...They are just push on connectors i think and they are numbered so you can t go wrong, once you turn off the power its an easy swap.....Take the cover off to make sure its push on connectors numbered 1-5 so i'm thinkin of the right timer...

Diggerdunne this is what i have:

p1582649_l.jpg
    I dont mind buying a new timer, its the electricians fee i cant afford aswell, if its as straightforward as you say.

• Advertisement

Yeah once the cables look ok and connections are tight and no scorched or burnt connections it's a simple pull off the lugs and replace the new face... Turn off the power and open up the unit and you will see how easy it is to replace...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement