Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horstmann Economy 7 Quartz! Help!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

anniehoo wrote: »
    Im still having problems with mine. ESB checked meters and they're fine, heating is working so the Devi reg controller is working (i think) properly. Its this stupid timer. Even though its set to come on at 24 (midnight) it doesnt. I can hear the night meter "clunk" in but the timer doesnt seem to recognise this now, when it did before. The boost function works on it, but "boosting" it meant i had a MASSIVE bill the last 2 times. :mad:

Your problem may not be the timer at all. It could be that the immersion heating element in the lower part of the tank needs to be replaced, or that the thermostat cut-out switch needs to be reset.

If you are ever up late/early look & see if the off-peak led is on. It should come on for about 4 hours between 2.30am to 5.30am. If it is your timer is working & the problem is either the element or thermostat. (the devi-reg would kick in at midnight but it has nothing to do with your water heating - it's for storage/underfloor heating)

Edit: Instead of staying up late you could set the actual time on the clock at any time during the day to say 2am to test that the off peak led comes on within about an hour & stays on for 4 hours)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

pressing the reset button will sort out the thermostat, or disconnect and place it in hot water and check the contacts are opening and closing with a multi meter...Also disconnect the element and check the resistance of it, that will tell you very quickly if the element is good...Between 18-24 ohms is what you are hoping for a good element.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ok, i'm in way over my head now as i wouldnt know how to do whats mentioned above.

pressing the reset button will sort out the thermostat.
    Where would i find this in relation to the timer and tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

the thermostat sits into the element. Its a rod that takes the temp of the water...You normally find it on the side of the tank if there are two elements or on top if only one element....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lynsey.pea

Hi there! Dont u know if u can help! I hope so! I have a horstmann economy 7 quartz with a 1 hour timer! The off peak light is staying on all the time! The boost light doesn't come on when I click it to boost and ive no heating now! Is it knackered or has anyone any suggestions?? Please help thanks lynsey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

lynsey.pea wrote: »
    Hi there! Dont u know if u can help! I hope so! I have a horstmann economy 7 quartz with a 1 hour timer! The off peak light is staying on all the time! The boost light doesn't come on when I click it to boost and ive no heating now! Is it knackered or has anyone any suggestions?? Please help thanks lynsey

does it go off if you turn the clock dial?

does it go off if you turn the clock dial?

Hi there! When I turn the dial the off peak light stays on!

lynsey.pea wrote: »
    Hi there! When I turn the dial the off peak light stays on!

sounds like a mechanical fault or maybe contacts welded

you're turning the top clock dial..yes

sounds like a mechanical fault or maybe contacts welded

you're turning the top clock dial..yes

Yeah im turning the top dial! Guess ill have to get someone out! Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 APFoley

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I'm lost. I moved into a new apartment with this water heater control unit. They said the apartment had underfloor and ceiling heating but they didn't work, so not to adjust the thermostats. The problem is my first two electric bills are higher than my rent and most of the usage is at night! After the first bill I shut off my heaters and unplugged any unnecessary appliances. I was also away for three weeks but my second bill is higher than the first!?! I couldn't figure out how to adjust the controls so I shut off the power switch two nights ago and today I still have hot water!?! Do I need a plumber, an electrician, a new control unit or a new water heater? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The electric companies love these timers.
    The clock usually switches on around midnight and goes off around 7 or 8 in the morning and there is no easy way to adjust them. Even with the half rate charges its still too long a time for the immersion to be on.
    Personally I would pay an electrician to fit a more manageable and flexible time clock, keeping in mind to put things back before you vacate, as his charge would most likely save you a ton of cash over the year.
    Also watch out for your electric storage heaters, they can be very expensive to operate as well.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    The electric companies love these timers.
    The clock usually switches on around midnight and goes off around 7 or 8 in the morning

don't think that's correct

think it's 3-4 hours preset for water heating

don't think that's correct

think it's 3-4 hours preset for water heating

They vary greatly depending on how they were assembled. I think the minimum is 3 - 4 hrs, but I have come across some that can be on for over 7 hrs.
    IMO the bigger part of the problem is the small 11" immersion trying to heat all the water.

Thanks for your quick responses...but how do I know if this one is programmed for 3 - 4 or 7hrs? Can Electric Ireland change the settings or do I need an electrician to do it?

APFoley wrote: »
    Thanks for your quick responses...but how do I know if this one is programmed for 3 - 4 or 7hrs? Can Electric Ireland change the settings or do I need an electrician to do it?

With the switch in the timed position, rotate the 24hr dial clockwise slowly while observing what number (hr) is aligning with the summer or winter marker.
    At some point the light will come on, note what number is aligned with the pointer, keep rotating the dial until the light goes off, subtracting the first figure from the second gives you the time duration.
    When finished set the current time to align with the summer time pointer.
    A good electrician should know how to adjust the time period on these clocks, but best to ask first before having someone call out.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    They vary greatly depending on how they were assembled. I think the minimum is 3 - 4 hrs, but I have come across some that can be on for over 7 hrs.
    IMO the bigger part of the problem is the small 11" immersion trying to heat all the water.

which ones are preset for 7 hours?

which ones are preset for 7 hours?

In at the back of the timing mechanism on the E7 there are two tags that adjust the time duration. Whoever assembles them will set them to whatever time duration.
    Have you ever looked at this?
    I have adjusted them a few times.

K.Flyer: Can they be adjusted to less than the 3 - 4 hours, i.e. 1 - 2? It is as easy as removing the panel or do I need an electrician to do it?

Thanks for all the input everyone, this is very helpful!

It has been a while since I was at one, but I don't think that they can be reduced by that much.
    As I said in an earlier post, I would consider changing it for a more user friendly unit, something like this one where you have more control over when you heat the water..
    http://www.tfc-group.co.uk/ecosave.html
    Any work in this area I would be suggesting you use an electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

that is correct you can adjust them, its in the instructions how to do it. I posted a Pdf for it years ago scanned it in, you search with my user name you might get it, but this came up here before.

Edit here it is

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57702908

its in the excellent post/archive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 saajyz

Hi..
    Can someone help me out with this E7 heater's 1 hour boost. The light comes on when I switch on the 1 hour boost but the heater does not kick in.. its not heating the water.. the main timer and the off peak heating is working fine .. its just the 1 hour boost that is the problem. I have check the wires and everything and all seems ok.
    Last time when I had the same problem the maintenance guy from the agency came and just check something on the thermostat itself using some meter (I guess) and it started working.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

saajyz

you'd be better opening up a new thread , I'm closing this one it was started 4 years ago, you'll have better luck with your own fresh thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement