Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in Belfast?

Options
  • 18-05-2010 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭

I'm moving to Belfast for the summer, and was just curious about the cycling situation. Are there bike lanes along major arteries? Do people cycle to get to work? And do I need to invest in multiple mega locks? (I'm from Chicago and I have to damn near take my bike apart to lock it on the street).

Any feedback is appreciated - thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

I've lived and cycled to work in Belfast for over 15years now - never had a problem.
    More and more people are cycling in Belfast now too - it's a small city - not even a city by international standards!

There have been a lot of new cycle lanes added over the years - bus lanes acutally, but cycles are allowed too.

There are a lot of good places to cycle off the roads too, along the Lagan river and Belfast lough.

As for security, it is wise to lock your bike well - there can be issues with bikes getting stolen, or even wrecked, bit it's no worse than a lot of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

More and more people are cycling to work in Belfast and many of the the arterial routes have bus lanes which are also cycle lanes. There are also some dedicated paths too which you can use depending on where you are going to and from. There is a path along the shore of belfast Lough but it is no wheer as nice as the lake Michigan shore line which I enjoyed while living out in your part of the world! Bikes would require locking (like anywhere) but if you could bring them indoors that would be the best situation.

Do you know where you will be living while in Belfast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

el tel wrote: »
    More and more people are cycling to work in Belfast and many of the the arterial routes have bus lanes which are also cycle lanes. There are also some dedicated paths too which you can use depending on where you are going to and from. There is a path along the shore of belfast Lough but it is no wheer as nice as the lake Michigan shore line which I enjoyed while living out in your part of the world! Bikes would require locking (like anywhere) but if you could bring them indoors that would be the best situation.

Do you know where you will be living while in Belfast?

South of Queens...although now that I am here, I can pretty much walk everywhere I need to go. I am still slightly traumatized from a "dooring" incident with a taxi (in the US, not Belfast), so maybe I will stick to walking!

And, yes, I miss Lake Michigan, but walking across the River Lagan on a clear morning is quite nice too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 beecarroll

The next Critical Mass is in Belfast this Friday. It leaves from Albert Clock at 6.30 and should ease you back into it! Lots of fun as well.

Advertisement