Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

court summons

• 18-05-2010 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Got a court summons for speeding there last week and just have a couple of questions. I miscalculated the amount of days I had to pay the fine and ended up missing the deadline( I do however have a copy of the letter saying I attempted to pay it but was 10 days overdue). From reading other threads is it likely a judge will show leniency towards me or am I looking at a hefty fine a 4 penalty points!? As I'm a student this is a financial burden I can certainly not afford! Anybody who has experienced this situation or has any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    Dozer11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

firstly.. When asked guilty or not guilty.. Say not quilty.
    This will allow you an oppertunity to give your side of the story.

Just explain to the judge what happened, and that you had every intention of paying, but made a mistake and apologise for taking up court time and also explain that you are a student earning x per week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

pa990 wrote: »
    firstly.. When asked guilty or not guilty.. Say not quilty.
    This will allow you an oppertunity to give your side of the story.

Just explain to the judge what happened, and that you had every intention of paying, but made a mistake and apologise for taking up court time and also explain that you are a student earning x per week

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

O/P if you plead not guilty the judge will tell you take a seat and the Garda will have to give full evidence. Once this is done the judge will ask you to provide evidence if you wish......if you dont have a point to fight the ticket on.....be sure you WILL get a larger fine. You can plead guilty and then explain your case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Or just wait and they are not lokely to bother turn up as we have seen time and time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dozer11

K well i'll see how it goes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

O/P if you plead not guilty the judge will tell you take a seat and the Garda will have to give full evidence. Once this is done the judge will ask you to provide evidence if you wish......if you dont have a point to fight the ticket on.....be sure you WILL get a larger fine. You can plead guilty and then explain your case.

My experience has been, that when the driver pleads quilty, the guard gives quick evidence and the judge then gives the penalty.

In our local court, the only way to explain your side is to plead not guilty, then give your evidence/side of the story, even if you are admitting guilt.

Maybe it's just our judge..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Someone posted here on boards a short while back about how the pleaded guilty and were not given a chance to explain their side. They had to appeal the decision in the end I think.

I'm not too sure which way it would go tbh. You were guilty so if you plead not guilty just to explain why you didn't pay you fine on time, the judge might still throw the book at u so to speak..

Perhaps ask a local solictor for advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dozer11

Thrown out... result!

Advertisement