Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in Tallaght - where to live?

Options
  • 19-05-2010 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I'm unfamiliar with Dublin so I'd really appreciate if someone could take the time to advise me.

I'm starting a job in Hibernian Estate off Greenhills Road in Tallaght in a few weeks. I'm not looking to live in Tallaght itself but I'd like an area that's fairly easily commutable either by car/luas (although I heard the red line doesn't go very close to the Ind estate where I'll be working).

Thanks for your time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I'm currently renting in Citywest which is next to Tallaght. It's a fairly depressing place with a lot of social problems. I never feel unsafe but there are a very large amount of poor quality humans living in the area. The kids, in particular, are ****ed.

My advice to you would be to live somewhere like Terenure. It wouldn't take too long to commute to Tallaght from there.

Definitely don't move to Jobstown, Fortunestown or Killinarden. Unless you enjoy watching kids throw rocks at your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lfit

I really appreciate your advice, thanks. I was thinking of Terenure/Templeogue alright. Do you know anything about Walkinstown?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

Walkinstown/Greenhills are nice areas.

A lot of the residents are quite old in these areas.

Its a very good location too - quite near to Tallaght and close enough to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

how about Knocklyon? you could even consider somewhere along the m50 from the likes of Dundrum etc Id imagine you can get to tallaght exit in about 10 mins...

thanks everyone for feedback,

I'm not sure about being out on the M50 because I probably won't have my car up there for a while. Does anyone know if there is a luas connection between Terenure or Templogue and Tallaght?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Luas goes nowhere near there but anyway.

Id suggest perhaps, Greenhills, Firhouse, Knocklyon, Templeogue or Terenue although Terenure might be a bit further away than you want to be.

Id say Firhouse or Knocklyon would probably be the best places to move to.

If your going to move to Firhouse Id try and avoid Hunterswood and maybe try the older more established estates.

edit assumed you had a car. If you dont have a car you should really check whats on the bus routes. No idea what areas have busses towards that industrial estate

lfit wrote: »
    thanks everyone for feedback,

I'm not sure about being out on the M50 because I probably won't have my car up there for a while. Does anyone know if there is a luas connection between Terenure or Templogue and Tallaght?

no luas in terenure or templeogue at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I live in Terenure and it's not far from Tallaght at all.
    I can get to Tallaght village by bus in less than fifteen minutes. (There's four buses to tallaght from Terenure - 49, 49A, 65, 65B)

I like the area. I consider it to be safe, people are nice and it's handy for town and Tallaght so I'd recommend there.

Templelogue and Walkinstown are fine too :)

I can get to Tallaght village by bus in less than fifteen minutes. (There's four buses to tallaght from Terenure - 49, 49A, 65, 65B)

I like the area. I consider it to be safe, people are nice and it's handy for town and Tallaght so I'd recommend there.

Thanks guys that's all really helpful. Are the buses fairly reliable? A friend of mine who lives in Dublin said to forget buses to work because traffic is so bad but maybe he's exaggerating! Thanks again for feedback it really helps when you haven't a clue where you're going ;)

I think your misleading the OP a bit here. 15 mins from Terenure to Tallaght Village by bus ? Maybe on a Sunday with no traffic about. There is no way in the world you can make it in 15 mins in rush hour having used these bus services before. 30 mins is a more reasonable timeline.

Besides which the OP would then have to get a second bus from tallaght village to the industrial estate assuming there is a connecting bus from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

buses are ok in dublin. you can never say they come at an exact time but they come in the frequency which is written on the time table.
    your friend probably experienced the celtic tiger times, buses were so packed at rush hours, they drove past stops. but it's not like this anymore and as you won't live in the city center you won't have problems, even at rush hours.

Walkinstown seems a lot closer but think I'd have to go through the walkinstown roundabout, is it as bad as people say?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

If you base yourself in Walkinstown/Greenhills, you could walk/cycle to work. It would be 5 or 10 minute cycle.

It is a horrible roundabout, but I would not let that put me off an area.

What about Kilnamanagh - Its not a bad area, very close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I'm currently renting in Citywest which is next to Tallaght. It's a fairly depressing place with a lot of social problems. I never feel unsafe but there are a very large amount of poor quality humans living in the area. The kids, in particular, are ****ed.

Definitely don't move to Jobstown, Fortunestown or Killinarden. Unless you enjoy watching kids throw rocks at your car.

you have a choice to live in city west with the 'poor quality humans' -move -

do you have first hand knowledge of children throwing stones in these estates or are you exaggerating ?
    did the stone throwing happen in the 3 different locations on the same nite or did you visit each estate on different nites ,im curious

if you are making it up can you remove the comment ,its not helpful for you to write fictional short stories

knighted_1 wrote: »

do you have first hand knowledge of children throwing stones in these estates or are you exaggerating ?
    did the stone throwing happen in the 3 different locations on the same nite or did you visit each estate on different nites ,im curious

if you are making it up can you remove the comment ,its not helpful for you to write fictional short stories

well you mustn't read the newspapers then do you ? Well documented with Dublin buss curtailing and stopping services to said areas on multiple occasions due to rock throwing by kids at night in these areas. So I think you owe the last poster an appology for your somewhat smart alec post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

If you'll be working off the greenhills road then any apartments in Tallaght village, priorsgate is one. You can walk or jump on the 77 or 50 down the greenhills road.

For houses then Kilnamanagh leads onto the greenhills road and is a nice enough housing estate.

I live up by the square, lots of studio and 1 bed apartments. The Luas is great for city centre but the 77 and 50 also go by regularly for the greenhills road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

lfit wrote: »
    Thanks guys that's all really helpful. Are the buses fairly reliable? A friend of mine who lives in Dublin said to forget buses to work because traffic is so bad but maybe he's exaggerating!

Buses tend to be pretty good from Terenure / Templelogue as there are so many services and various routes.

Traffic can be bad heading in to town and coming out during peak times.
    Tallaght can be quite congested during rush hours as well, but that's because it's a huge area and a lot of people commute to and from there.

The good thing about using the bus is that there are often bus lanes, meaning you don't have to sit through traffic jams.
    D3PO wrote: »
    I think your misleading the OP a bit here. 15 mins from Terenure to Tallaght Village by bus ? Maybe on a Sunday with no traffic about.

I've got the 65 or 65B from Terenure as far as Tallaght village every morning* for the past nine months to college and it's never taken more than 20 minutes. There are bus lanes most of the way up the dual carriageway which means there's hardly any sitting in traffic.

*between 8:30 and 9
    the OP would then have to get a second bus from tallaght village to the industrial estate assuming there is a connecting bus from there.

The 77 and 77A go from a stop in Tallaght village. The 65 and 65B both go as far as The Square shopping centre, which has more bus routes available at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

knighted_1 wrote: »

Citywest suits me for the moment. I wouldn't live here long term though.

Yes, I have first hand knowledge of kids throwing rocks at cars. I've seen it twice (one of them smashed the front window of a taxi) and been the victim of it once. Twice it was in Jobstown, once it was in Killinarden. This is during a 4 month period, and I've only been in Jobstown and Killinarden a handful of times.

You should also check out the Lidl in Fortunestown. The kids try to smash the windows there every day. They even put up these mad mechanical shutters to stop them, but now the kids are breaking the shutters.

Obviously I am sure there are plenty of decent people on these areas, but there's also a lot of complete scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

OP, I think the best solution if possible is to come up at a weekend if possible and have a scout with a friend who has a car.

Traffic shouldn't be a big problem since it sounds like you'll end up in Templeogue/Terenure/Knocklyon/Firhouse/Walkinstown which are all good areas and you'll be against the Dublin city centre inbound traffic. (I grew up in Knocklyon, lived in Firhouse and now Terenure)

It's fair to say the areas immediately surrounding the Square etc are very mixed and if I had a choice I'd go somewher more picturesque and mature (could I be more diplomatic?)

Any specific questions just shout...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

some nice areas in Tallaght.

Old Bawn.

Firhouse.

Bancroft.

Glenview.

Belgard is mostly grand and on the luas line.

Just outside of Tallaght

Ballycullen,basically anywhere near in or around knocklyon, orwell etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Rathfarnham and Ballinteer are both nice areas and are also feasible using the 75 bus route to the Square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

If your going to move to Firhouse Id try and avoid Hunterswood and maybe try the older more established estates.

I was going to suggest Hunterswood as there seems to be a few apartments for rent and its very handy for tallaght, either via old bawn or the M50. Any particular reason for avoiding it?

ntlbell wrote: »
    some nice areas in Tallaght.

Old Bawn.

Firhouse.

Bancroft.

Glenview.

Belgard is mostly grand and on the luas line.

good list only problem is Firhouse isnt in Tallaght ;) In terms of Tallaght Kilnamanagh probably should be on that list aswell

Stee wrote: »
    I was going to suggest Hunterswood as there seems to be a few apartments for rent and its very handy for tallaght, either via old bawn or the M50. Any particular reason for avoiding it?

well theres nothing wrong with it, apart from the fact its a new build (assume therfore the walls are like paper although cant back this up), the houses / apartments are ontop of each other, it seems to lack car parking spaces and its only got 1 bus route.

Apart from that its fine :p

Zamboni wrote: »
    Rathfarnham and Ballinteer are both nice areas and are also feasible using the 75 bus route to the Square.

Except that the 75 is about as regular as a solar eclipse ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Zamboni wrote: »

Anyone working on the Greenhills road, living in Ballinteer, and using the 75 bus as their commute is in for a life of utter utter hell.

Thanks everyone for being so helpful, it's really great

well theres nothing wrong with it, apart from the fact its a new build (assume therfore the walls are like paper although cant back this up), the houses / apartments are ontop of each other, it seems to lack car parking spaces and its only got 1 bus route.

Apart from that its fine :p

this is prob worth taking on board to be honest - if you're concerned about the noise element maybe check out when the developments were built. There's a lot of new stuff up that way.

Even in Woodstown, which is mature enough (where I lived for a year), the house-build quality is a f*cking disgrace as far as noise etc is concerned. You've just made me angry thinking about :)

You can hear everything everyone is up to...and I mean everything

spockety wrote: »
    Anyone working on the Greenhills road, living in Ballinteer, and using the 75 bus as their commute is in for a life of utter utter hell.

+1 !

family home was in Knocklyon which is serviced by the 75 among others...most people didnt bother looking at the timetable...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I would recommend Old Bawn or Bancroft. The 77A bus will go right by your industrial estate, and also by the edge of both of those estates.

In fact if you lived in Bancroft you could easily walk to work in about 10 mins. I'd say it's about a 15-20 min walk from Old Bawn. Cycle time from either is only about 5 mins.

You didn't state if you are looking to buy or rent?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement