Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gypsy

Options
  • 18-05-2010 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Actually if anyone in the Dublin region would know this would be so helpful. I'm very interested in Gypsy Magick and Herbal Recipes but I can't seem to find any proper resources to research more. Would anyone have any idea where I may learn about these customs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

What do you mean by Gyspy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SebMebarak

When I say Gypsy I mean all the different types of gypsy: romanis, gitanos, sinti. Like at this stage I'm not really bothered on specifics, I just want to learn as much as I can about all the different types of customs and traditions, you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

As I understand it the Rroma traditions are passed with in the family and it is a close culture and they consider the term gyspy to be an ethic slur.

The only properly researched works I would aware of would be those of Charles G. Leland.
    http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/roma/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Abhainn-Rivers

I'm afraid Thaedydal is right. The fact is that many of the Family Traditions within the Roma culture aren't fully retained between the generations. Indeed many simply retain the practices as folk-customs not unlike what one finds in rural Ireland anyway.

I only know of two Roma family practices resident within Ireland but they even differ from one another. Each family builds its workings, spells, potions, etc. as a foundational "language" to the Family and therefore won't ever share what is not already in the public domain.

That said contacting Pavee Point might yield some resources. From what I understand while they are different cultures they share certain similarities and so some Roma have found cultural expression with members of the Pavee community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Suibleen

I joined on seeing this.

This is a blog from a pavee woman. If I'm correct in who she is shed be a close friend with a witch. Controversially for our community she is rumoured to be the same.

There's a bit on our palmistry and a few other things that might interest you. I'm finding it great to be reminded of these things. No politics, no drama just someone trying to keep her culture and share it with a bit of honesty.

Not sure what it has to offer but it might be of help.

Www.barefootpavee.blogspot.com

Take care

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Abhainn-Rivers

Hey Suibleen I'm familiar with the blog (tis on my blog roll list for http://fear-draiochta.blogspot.com) and it is highly enjoyable reading her work. There is a lot of latent cultural markers that to modern pagans (neopagans) would identify a "witch", but this also seems to me to be true of the Pavee culture in general as one of rich folk customs and a deep sense of spirituality.

Advertisement