Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When should you legally receive deposit

Options
  • 19-05-2010 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Moving out on Friday. Visiting tomorrow about seeing when they come to view the proerty. Are they obliged to view the property the day the lease is up and return deposit there and then if no problems? If not must I just wait for deposit? I had problems with estate agent so I feel he may try to get one over if possible even though i believe landlord holds deposit? Basically all I can do is take pictures before leaving and make a complaint if don't recieve deposit back or full amount? Any help appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its really down to when they are happy.

Make sure you take gas and electricity meter readings, etc. and tell you utility companies that you are no longer resident. They can forward the last bill to your new address.

Make sure everything is turned off when you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ballyegan

Yeah like I thought. Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

They are required to return it 'promptly'. Whatever your definition of that is, 7 days would be the maximum I'd accept.

I don't see why it can't be returned on a final day inspection/handover of keys. I don't accept that utility bills are of any interest to the LL in this regard. The bills should be in the tenant's name, so any unpaid amounts should remain with the tenant and not affect the landlord. I do think it may be good practice for the LL to ensure that the services are still in supply though!

Personally I believe the standard approach should be a meeting on the last day with an inspection that nothing above the usual wear and tear has taken place. The tenant can then, in the presence of the LL or his agent, phone up any service providers and provide meter readings to close the account.

I don't see why there need be any faffing about.

Advertisement