Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utv broadband set up trouble

• 19-05-2010 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering can anyone shine some light on this. I received an email from Utv telling me my line is now active with a username and password for logging onto their network.

So I connected the phone line to the back of the netgear dgn1000 n150 router they sent me, logged onto the router address and changed the username from guest to the one they sent and entered the password and saved everything. But now when I connect to the router I just get the message local access only so I can't connect to the internet. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Btw, I also tried the netgear setup wizard cd that came with the router, after it verifies that the cable connected, network information, router contacted and router communications are all good and I set the region to Ireland it fails at step 3 of 4 which is internet detection. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I presume there is a dsl light on the front of the router - is it showing positive?
    Also on the main page of the router if there is a connection this will usually be shown in some way if the dsl signal is present even if you are not acually connecting to the net.

There are a number of other settings that need to be inserted have you done this?

Encapsulation PPOE
    Multiplexing LLC based
    VPI 8
    VCI 35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Thanks, dub45. I used those settings and I managed to get connected but the speeds are pretty pathetic, approximately 1.1 mb/ps down and 150 kb/ps up. I was promised a 7mb line but apparently the line is only suitable for 3mb.

Also, when I connected the router to another phone socket I can only get local access only. Would this suggest that their is a problem with that particular socket?

edit: regardless of which socket the router is connected to I can only get local access only now.

Advertisement