Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapo Strat Mods?

• 19-05-2010 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

I'm gonna pick up a cheap squire strat, an affinity or something, and slowly mod it over time. Main reason I'm doing this is to have something to toy around with electronics wise and learning to set it up properly.

What I'm thinking is:
    • Install a hardtail bridge: (I never use trems)
    • Locking tuners.
    • New pups, prolly something noiseless.

Was wondering if any of ya's have gone down this route and have any suggestions on anything else I can/should do with it?
    After many failed projects I'm determined to finish this one!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Put a killswitch in it? Just a push-to-break switch (I think mine cost €2.45 in Maplin) in between the last potentiometer and the output jack, simple as, and allows for some cool articulations of your playing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

give the bridge pickup it's own tone pot,far more effective than having one on the middle pickup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Zangetsu hit me up if you need any parts, I have a custom strat broken into parts here that im selling. Have everything except a hardtail bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

Picking up a yamaha pacifica tomorrow, first thing to go will be the pickups.

This is a subject I know very little on and I honestly haven't much of a clue what I'm looking for.

I suppose just a combination thats as versatile as humanly possible... I'll be coil tapping the bucker if that makes a difference!

Any advice would be whopper :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Always fun to mod a cheap guitar and do a few things here and there.

Does anyone notice how much cash they really spend on the 'project'?? Sometimes it goes way over board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭FruscianteFan

If you want something really versatile go for seymour duncan p-rails! A humbucker, P90 and single coil all in one!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

http://store.guitarfetish.com/xaviereguitars.html

Even with the obvious crazy cost of shipping a guitar from the US; these are cheaper than a lot of Squiers and much better.

They're good guitars off the bat but even better with mods. And of course, they sell some pretty top notch parts to mod your guitar with for next to nothing. I'm considering getting one of their "Offsets" maybe at some stage. If they ever do a Baritone I'm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

I've had one of their telecasters and the xv-550, both amazing guitars. Especially the telecaster. Was set up to perfection and sounded great.

I've looked through the hardware and pickups, reviews seem to be a bit inconsistent around the net so I'd be a bit apprehensive about picking them up.

Had a gander at the P-Rail, looks cool, lots of options there so I might just add one in see how it goes.

I spent the other day cleaning up the Pacifica and did a lil setup, sounds and plays great now. All the hype around Boards were spot on, prolly the best starter guitar going by a long shot!

I'm gonna start ordering parts next week, might take a few pics along the way for anyone interested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Zangetsu wrote: »
    I've had one of their telecasters and the xv-550, both amazing guitars. Especially the telecaster. Was set up to perfection and sounded great.

I've looked through the hardware and pickups, reviews seem to be a bit inconsistent around the net so I'd be a bit apprehensive about picking them up.

Had a gander at the P-Rail, looks cool, lots of options there so I might just add one in see how it goes.

I spent the other day cleaning up the Pacifica and did a lil setup, sounds and plays great now. All the hype around Boards were spot on, prolly the best starter guitar going by a long shot!

I'm gonna start ordering parts next week, might take a few pics along the way for anyone interested!

I have a guitar restore project myself. Keep us posted on the progress, especially the cost of parts etc.

Advertisement