Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

License Question

Options
  • 19-05-2010 3:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Received two licenses over the past few weeks, the new one has a nifty little plastic case, the first one did not.

So am I special because of the new one or did I get ripped off on the first?

Anyone else get the little plastic wallet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Received two licenses over the past few weeks, the new one has a nifty little plastic case, the first one did not.

Yep, Johnny_Coyle I got a plastic wallet type thing with my 1st license and am awaiting my 2nd so it'll be interesting to see if I get one with that.
    I believe you're supposed to get one with each license, it even stated on the letter I got with the license that there was a plastic wallet supplied and to carefully place my new license in this wallet to keep it safe...reckon they may have ripped you off !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Yeah, it looks like someone forgot to put it the first envelope, I got one with each of my three licenses. I actually don't think a lot of them, but they are better than nothing. I use one of those plastic card holders from the bank and keep mine in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Kilo

vixdname wrote: »
    Yep, Johnny_Coyle I got a plastic wallet type thing with my 1st license and am awaiting my 2nd so it'll be interesting to see if I get one with that.
    I believe you're supposed to get one with each license, it even stated on the letter I got with the license that there was a plastic wallet supplied and to carefully place my new license in this wallet to keep it safe...reckon they may have ripped you off !!!!!

That's kind of a funny attitude. You seem to be saying that they did this deliberately to steal from the guy!

Why would they care?

Not sure where you'd get a new one, the gardai don't have them - I know because I went into my local station to drop in a substitution form and the Sergeant wanted to see my licence because he'd never seen the new ones. :eek:

Maybe the place in Ennis where you send the form could send one to you if you phone them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

You'r supposed to get one with each licence, you'd be better off laminating you'r licences, it'll keep them safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

did any one eles get the NARGC licence wallet, its a handy little thing

• Advertisement

Yes I actually got two as iv'e got my daughter insured with the N.A.R.G.C. aswell. A picture below for those who haven't seen one.

licencewallet002.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

do you get one of the nargc holders when you join up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I did surely.

Good man "Uncle Des", looking out for all us shooters. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Kilo wrote: »
    That's kind of a funny attitude. You seem to be saying that they did this deliberately to steal from the guy!

Why would they care?

Firstly Kilo, before you make a comment on what someone else has written I suggest you make sure and read ALL of the previous posts so as you may get an idea of whats being said and why.
    If you read the very 1st post of this thread the poster asked the question of whether he was being "Ripped Off" when he didnt receive his little plastic cover, I on the otherhand was simply agreeing with his initial assumption in jest and used HIS wording back to him.

Secondly, I never said they were "stealing from the guy" and

Thirdly, dont question any of my posts again until you've fully read and UNDERSTAND the context that they're being used, you dont want to make a bad name for yourself having just made 5 postings on boards as a "trying to be smart ass"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Johnny_Coyle

Marlin,
    Call me paranoid, however, I do not want to touch the license at all.

I am sure that somewhere in the plethora of archaic nebulous gun laws is a line that infers or implies that the license may not be tampered or altered.

This license will surely last three years in the wallet.

Risk Vs Reward...

• Advertisement

You could be right J.C. but I laminated mine, 3 years is a long time, and most of my hunting is done in winter, time will tell how tough and weatherproof the licences are.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

i got one with my license.
    just wana ask a quick question!do you guys carry your license with you when your hunting or leave it at home?because i photocopyed mine and i bring that one with me so i dont lose to proper one would this be illegal?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭berettadt10

I got one with each of mine. Funny thing is they sent me my 4 licences again two months later, so basically i have two copies of each, reckon it was a computer error!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭berettadt10

i got one with my license.
    just wana ask a quick question!do you guys carry your license with you when your hunting or leave it at home?because i photocopyed mine and i bring that one with me so i dont lose to proper one would this be illegal?.

I always carry mine with me, force of habit now, but you never know the day you could be stopped on the road etc.
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Biggest Issue I have with Licenses are besides being of poor quality is that you name , address, DOB and Firearm type are all on the License.

For security reasons I would have thought that your name and Pulse Number would have been sufficient. Far too much information are on those Licenses. I kinda have the same issue when I am buying ammo. If one of those books with all our names and addresses falls into some undesirables hands its not good.

I don't know who was responsible for the design of the license but I'll bet he/she does'nt possess a firearm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

ezridax wrote: »
    I did surely.

Good man "Uncle Des", looking out for all us shooters. :D

Not all !

Nice looking wallet mind you.

First thing to do with a new license is to photo copy it and laminate the copy. I would take the copy with me and leave the original in the car, or at home.

I carried around my three licenses and found when I removed the paper from the plastic holder that the print on the license sticks to the plastic. So, part of my license is on paper, the other part on the plastic cover... Only two years and how many months to go to get new ones now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

johngalway wrote: »
    Not all !...

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Kilo

vixdname wrote: »
    Firstly Kilo, before you make a comment on what someone else has written I suggest you make sure and read ALL of the previous posts so as you may get an idea of whats being said and why.
    If you read the very 1st post of this thread the poster asked the question of whether he was being "Ripped Off" when he didnt receive his little plastic cover, I on the otherhand was simply agreeing with his initial assumption in jest and used HIS wording back to him.
    As you quoted his post in its entirety in your reply, I didn't even have to go to the first post. If you're replying in jest might I suggest you use a smiley?

Otherwise it just looks strange. I used the word "funny" which obviously you saw no humour in :rolleyes:
    Secondly, I never said they were "stealing from the guy" and
    That's what "ripoff" implies
    Thirdly, dont question any of my posts again until you've fully read and UNDERSTAND the context that they're being used, you dont want to make a bad name for yourself having just made 5 postings on boards as a "trying to be smart ass"
    I presume you equally kowtow to people with "superior" post counts to yours. Don't get faint holding your breath waiting for me to accede to your so politely phrased instructions.

Fortunately I don't subscribe to your point of view and don't have such a two dimensional view of the world that dictates some kind of pecking order with regard to the number of times I've bothered to post here. You might (as is the case in more polite circles) chosen to explain your post more clearly and left the insults and bullying in the playground where you picked it up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

johngalway wrote: »
    Not all !......
    +1

Lads, ya did see the - :D - didn't ye.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Kilo wrote: »
    As you quoted his post in its entirety in your reply, I didn't even have to go to the first post. If you're replying in jest might I suggest you use a smiley?

Perhaps if your view point wasnt so "Two Dimensional" my comment wouldnt require a smiley for you to get the context in which it was written..
    Otherwise it just looks strange. I used the word "funny" which obviously you saw no humour in :rolleyes:

You didnt use the word FUNNY in a humourous way, hence I saw no humour in it
    That's what "ripoff" implies

I know what rip off implies I certainly dont need you to tell me

I presume you equally kowtow to people with "superior" post counts to yours. Don't get faint holding your breath waiting for me to accede to your so politely phrased instructions.

No, I dont kowtow to people with "Superior" posts, I just have the cop on and respect to read all the posts in a thread firstly before I post a reply unlike your good self

Fortunately I don't subscribe to your point of view and don't have such a two dimensional view of the world that dictates some kind of pecking order with regard to the number of times I've bothered to post here. You might (as is the case in more polite circles) chosen to explain your post more clearly and left the insults and bullying in the playground where you picked it up.

It has nothing to do with a pecking order, or the number of times you've posted here it has to do with your lack of comprehension of the written word and the context in which they were written, perhaps you should have spent less time in the playground yourself and more time in the classroom ?
    Maybe in future, rather then myself having to explain a perfectly legible post in most peoples eyes just so as you may understand it, I should use words with less syllables for you, then maybe it'd be easier for you to understand, and I could even throw in a few of those smileys you mentioned earlier, after all pictures may be of more interest to you then the written word which you seem to have such difficulty comprehending

• Advertisement

[mod]

vixdname & kilo, kilo & vixdname...

Enough lads, ok. Borderline PI territory here.

[/mod]

I'm blind in one eye, and heedless in the other :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

knockon wrote: »
    Biggest Issue I have with Licenses are besides being of poor quality is that you name , address, DOB and Firearm type are all on the License.

For security reasons I would have thought that your name and Pulse Number would have been sufficient. Far too much information are on those Licenses. I kinda have the same issue when I am buying ammo. If one of those books with all our names and addresses falls into some undesirables hands its not good.

I don't know who was responsible for the design of the license but I'll bet he/she does'nt possess a firearm.

I agree entirely.

Security on the new licence is very poor. When they asked to include a photo in the appplication they could have superimposed the photo onto the licence when printing.

Even the old licence had your signature on it. If the new licence is misplaced it could be used by anybody......no security measures to check if the producer of the licence is actually the legally licenced holder of the firearm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

J.R. wrote: »
    I agree entirely.

Security on the new licence is very poor. When they asked to include a photo in the appplication they could have superimposed the photo onto the licence when printing.

Even the old licence had your signature on it. If the new licence is misplaced it could be used by anybody......no security measures to check if the producer of the licence is actually the legally licenced holder of the firearm.
    Stop harking back to the halcyon days of the old license ;). Next thing you'll be looking for the green piece of paper.

Seriously though, the signature on the old one wasn't worth a damn as a security measure. Most people didn't sign them and even if they did, when was the last time a gun dealer asked for a specimen of your signature?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

I say we ask for the old paper type back:D
    They lasted real long when they went through the wash and the tumple dry :D:D they use to resemble my old school bus pass :D

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Goosie

Got 2 of my licences about 2 months ago.

Got the third one last week and thought at first it looked a little odd.

Compared it to the other 2 : its about 3mm smaller, the Garda emblem is much smaller, not just smaller relative to the card size and its a different shade of yellow!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats the strange thing about these licenses, what the hell did they need photo mugshots if they didn't print them on the license?
    Very strange having a more secure form of ID and not using it and printing all the relevant details of the firearm on the actual license without having any means to verify if you are who you say you are.
    Maybe the V 2.0 might be improved and actually have the game license as part of it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I'm blind in one eye and can't see in the other :p

Advertisement