Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certified in MS Business Inteligence or moving to UK

Options
  • 19-05-2010 6:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

HI I hope some of you can give expert opinion. I have been studying for Microsoft SQL Server and BI. Currently I am working in Kildare using other tool and database. currently not so sure about the future work.
    I have an offer to move to UK to continue with the same type of work.
    is it much opportunity of data warehouse work in ireland? The problem with UK is of course I like to stay here rather moving the whole family and that is including my child and dog.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭halkar

I have been working with Sql server over 15 years. I had a similiar dilemma back in 96 when I decided to move from Oracle to Sql Server. There were no jobs in Ireland at the time. It was difficult to move with family. But I did take a job in UK, went alone for about two years for the experience. It was not easy with the family here and I am alone in UK (no cheap flights back then :) ) but it was the turning point in my career with the experience gained.

Based on above, you should decide where do you want to be next 5-10 years. Do not make a move just for sake of having a job only. Put the experience factor into it which may make it easier to decide. With many cheap flights to UK it is not difficult to come back here at the weekends.
    There are jobs in Ireland but with so many out of work employers are very picky. Finding a job here is no longer based on experince but more of a luck affair. Give yourself time, fire away your CVs. If you can not land in any job here consider moving.

Also think about expanding your training to SQL development and administration along with BI. Many roles overlap with each other. It will also make easier to move within roles if you get bored with BI stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What are the jobs like in the UK for that now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 GajahMada

Thanks Halkar for the advise given. I appreciate it very much.
    I have been thinking and thinking and I think I love hre too much. I may be going to take chances in hope the situation in here will improve.

Advertisement