Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oz/NZ???

Options
  • 19-05-2010 7:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi there,

Me and my boyf are thinkin of headin in july travellin and doin the whole whv thing. I havent the first idea where to start... We're unsure whether to settle in Australia or New Zealand!! Any suggestions??

Also can any1 tell me about bank accounts and how much money i need in to go??!

We're thinkin of doing thailand for a month en route.. Is this a good idea?!?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

emfitz wrote: »
    Hi there,

Me and my boyf are thinkin of headin in july travellin and doin the whole whv thing. I havent the first idea where to start... We're unsure whether to settle in Australia or New Zealand!! Any suggestions??

Both - pick one to start then do the other :) - Easy as

Also can any1 tell me about bank accounts and how much money i need in to go??!

As much as possible - between 2 why not make it 50k?

We're thinkin of doing thailand for a month en route.. Is this a good idea?!?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

its a great Idea (although maybe not with the situation at the moment) - but if not Thailand, definitely reccomend SE Asia for a month or two first...although you will be depressed leaving...

anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭emfitz

Thanks for that... Wouldnt mind 50K goin but cant see that happenin!! :)

We def goin to do SE Asia en route for a month... Then still undecisive where to go next. Whats NZ like for jobs accom social life... Wouldnt mind staying away from the Irish contingent in OZ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bubbly123

Who has 50k to go travelling these days??? My god thats way too much.

New Zealand is amazing. The social life isn't as good as Oz, but if ur tryin to avoid the Irish contingent in Oz you will fing that hard to avoid in Syden. U might want to avoid "Co. Bondi"! The sceney in NZ is fab and its great for outdoor activities- glacier hiking, bungee jumping, swimming with dolphins, sky diving. I done all of this + more in NZ. Activities in NZ are a lot more affordable than in Oz. However, it is hard enought o get work. I personnally wasn't looking for work but met a lot of travellers who were and they were finding it difficult. A lot of them done a few hours work in their hostel in return for accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

I think he was joking about the 50k. Come on people, don't believe everything you read :rolleyes:

Obviously the 50k was a joke... ;)

Thanks for the info bubbly.. Very undecisive as of yet.. need to make my mind up, have heard alright that NZ is fab, i'm def goin there be it to settle or travel!!! Have heard cost of livin etc dearer in NZ, which wud be the best spot in NZ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Have a quick read of my blog :
    http://markattwooll.wordpress.com/page/4/

Start from there and read through it, its essentially my stay in NZ summed up as I went along. Hopefully you should find it someway relavent. Just booked my one-way ticket to Auckland for 20th June - eeep! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

What kind of jobs are you looking for emfitz? If you're planning staying a few years then there might be perm work. Traveller type bar or hospo work I dont know but I wouldnt say theres tons of work right now. I got a full time job but told them I would stay at least another few years so they helped me get a 3 year permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

Figure out your reason for going first. New Zealand has the outdoor life, extreme sports, scenery, etc. Oz has the weather, the social life and relaxation.

Obviously both have all of those, but if you are or think you could be into hiking, mountain biking, snowboarding, overnight walks carrying your food and staying in huts, NZ is the place.

On the other hand, if you want to drink yourself silly around a load of Irish ppl and love the beach and weather, maybe Oz would suit you better.

You can tell I'm a little biased, but seriously, if you figure out your ideal holiday AND lifestyle, given the opportunity to do things you may not at home, you'll be far better positioned to make a decision. Don't just go to a place cos everyone else did, have a think about what would suit you and what each has to offer. And then just take a chance and enjoy it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

NZ, Best country in the world!!! I am never Homesick but miss NZ soooo much!

We'll prob head to Oz first and try get work for few mths and save enuf to spend 3wks or a month in NZ... I cant wait to see NZ, i hear its fab...

Wats it like in Oz these days, has anyone any suggestions on the best cities... Its lookin like settling in sydney at the mo but ive also heard good things about Melbourne & Perth...

Everyones been really helpful with the info!!! Thanks..:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

emfitz wrote: »
    We'll prob head to Oz first and try get work for few mths and save enuf to spend 3wks or a month in NZ... I cant wait to see NZ, i hear its fab...

Wats it like in Oz these days, has anyone any suggestions on the best cities... Its lookin like settling in sydney at the mo but ive also heard good things about Melbourne & Perth...

Everyones been really helpful with the info!!! Thanks..:pac:

Have been to both NZ and Oz and loved both. NZ is an amazing place, really beautiful, laid back and an incredible amount of things to do. One thing as well is that (at least where we were in the south island) is that it is unbelievably clean - I was in Queenstown and it was pristine - I didn't see one piece of litter on the streets - not like Ireland.

Loved Oz too though and I think if I had to choose one over the other I'd probably go for Oz - the opposite to everyone else who go for NZ! I think the sheer size of Oz, the weather and lifestyle would do it for me. I haven't seen enough of either country to really say though.

I have heard Melbourne is an amazing place too - a more laid back Sydney, full of parks, cafes - very chilled out. We met two guys over in NZ who were from Melbourne and they were saying it was a class place and they loved it - and they were from there! That said, Sydney rocks too - loved it. Perth I have heard is very cool too. If I were going back to Oz I would very seriously consider living in Perth or nearby, especially as I'd have easy access to the west coast of Australia which I'd really love to explore as well - millions of sandy beaches and supposed to be more beautiful than the far more visited east coast.

Whats the weather like at the mo in Sydney/Melbourne/Perth?? Realistically i wont get to see the whole country, the big decision is where to settle for few months. At the mo i think its a toss up of the above :)

Im going over there with not a whole pile of money so my plan is to try work for few months then travel Oz & NZ before going home...

Advertisement