Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motor Tax Cycle Safety Leaflet

• 19-05-2010 8:29am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So got my motor tax renew letter yesterday and it came with the following leaflet, not a bad idea...all seems fine to me.

If it saves 1 cyclists life its worth it

cycle1.jpg

cycle2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

I renewed my motor tax a couple of weeks ago, but didn't receive this. Looks good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Rabble rabble, I don't pay my road tax to share my space with these hippies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Fair play to whoever came up with this idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Cabaal wrote: »
    So got my motor tax renew letter yesterday and it came with the following leaflet, not a bad idea...all seems fine to me.

If it saves 1 cyclists life its worth it
    And on a more everyday level, it might lower the rather high levels of harrassment that prevail right now.

Very good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

great idea but the question i have to ask is will the non cycling community pay attention to it ie the motorists

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I some how think that a motorist will read the first sentence and throw it in the bin.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

mloc123 wrote: »
    Rabble rabble, I don't pay my road tax to share my space with these hippies.

It's motor tax not road tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Nice idea but I doubt many will read it. If they put what ever this cost into having a cop enforce the existing rules in the center of town it would be more useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

justo wrote: »
    It's motor tax not road tax.

facepalm.jpg?w=220&h=167

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

don't tempt a cyclist into taking a risk

Class, what you reckon this means, don't lean out the window and challenge them to a traffic light sprint race?:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

BostonB wrote: »
    Nice idea but I doubt many will read it. If they put what ever this cost into having a cop enforce the existing rules in the center of town it would be more useful.

One of the things most cyclists point out when discussing motorist/cyclist interaction is driver education. This is exactly that. Not everyone is going to read them, but some people will and they'll even take it onboard. Much more useful for a small percentage of people to read it than pay for a single cop to enforce traffic law in the city center (Whatever city center that might be)

Oh yeah, Dept. of Transport guy mentioned this at a day conference two weeks ago (was on 'designing for cyclists'). I think it's a fine idea. They also mentioned how removal of the compulsary use of cycle lanes legislation is in draft at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Dónal wrote: »
    They also mentioned how removal of the compulsary use of cycle lanes legislation is in draft at the moment.

It's been quite a while coming, but it lightens my heart to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

I got this when I renewed my motor tax. It's an attempt to make motorists more aware of cyclists.

I had no idea how unaware of cyclists I was until I started cycling to work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Class, what you reckon this means, don't lean out the window and challenge them to a traffic light sprint race?:D:D

I was trying to figure this out myself. You could half open your door as they approach...then keep pushing it a bit more....and a bit more....

Bit of a stupid one methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

jusmeig wrote: »
    I got this when I renewed my motor tax. It's an attempt to make motorists more aware of cyclists.

I had no idea how unaware of cyclists I was until I started cycling to work!!

Very true, I was very much the same. I think it's good to see people ditching the cars and using bikes for shorter trips, as a lot of drivers seem to become more aware of cyclists only after having cycled themselves. It makes the roads safer and more pleasant for everyone.

Advertisement