Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modified Corn Starch

Options
  • 19-05-2010 9:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

I am looking to purchase this product - also known as 'INstant clear jel'. I can get it from the states but postage is very dear. REgular cornstarch won't substitute this product. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

How about arrowroot? It's a thickening agent, but unlike cornflour/cornstarch it doesn't go cloudy when it thickens, it stays translucent. So it's very good for tart glazes. I don't know what applications you want Instant Clear Jel for, but the thickening properties of flour/cornflour and arrowroot/tapioca are here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Orby

Thanks Magic Monkey but it has to be this particular starch. I need it for something that cannot be heated and other starches need to be heated to to work.

There's an e-book about Hydrocolloids (substances that form a gel when hydrated) at Khymos blog. Maybe guar gum, sodium alginate or xanthan would work, as they don't require heating. There are recipes for each hydrocolloid in that book, so you may find something similar there to what you want to do. And Xanthan is available in Tesco in the gluten-free aisle, don't know about the other two.

Magic Monkey - thank you SO much for taking the time to look that up. I have now downloaded the ebook and am trying to find something suitable. I see a product called methyl cellulose and another one I cannot remember the name of that might also work. Next dilemna is where to find these!

No probs. I've had that book a while, it's a great reference and amazing to see how just a few grams of a hydrocolloid can have such a huge effect on something.

He has a link to European suppliers on that blog, under the "links" section. Out of curiosity, can I ask what you need it for?

• Advertisement

Hi Magic Monkey
    I couldn't find the list of suppliers. I can get this from the states but shipping is very dear. You asked me what it is for - to stabilise and thicken a dessert I am trying to invent that cannot be heated!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Pectin?..or Agar?

Advertisement