Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mondays/BOTB

• 19-05-2010 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

I'll be organising the Battle of The Businesses which will be starting on June 28th this year.

I've spoken to Sully about mentioning it here and he's okay with it.

Essentially it will be an 8 week run of a quiz with a difference. It's a great way to get out and meet new people and an even better way to spend a monday night.

I was looking for the right venue to run it this year and the obvious candidates were Masons and the Basement Bar in revolution. The later won because I can't be sure that the former will still be operational for the duration of the event.

It would be great to have a boards team but basically it would be great to just have as many of you guys as possible down...sort of a weekly boards beers eh?

The posters and flyers with additional info will be released next week but I'm just giving a heads up on this thread.

The intention is that one of these events will be run in a venue in Wexford, Kilkenny and Tipperary (for now) with the winners of each one competing in a battle with the other winners.

Each battle will be a quiz of 10 rounds (6 questions each)...but some of the rounds will be different to anything you've seen in a pub quiz before. (Video rounds, audio rounds, live rounds - not gunfire, etc)

Some fairly high profile Waterford businesses are already lined up to participate so it's shaping up to be fairly decent.

I'm sure there will lots of cynicism so I'll be happy to answer all of your questions in this here thread...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Good idea abouttobebanned,

i have a few questions

Q1: Since you will be running it over the summer for 8 weeks and people tend to take holidays can the team have subs just in case some original team members are unable to turn up for all nights?

Q2: Have you considered running this around October onwards when the evenings will be darker and people are bored stuck staying inside for the night and are itching for something to do? it might increase the chances of a bigger turnout.

Q3: Any idea what the prize will be? Will it be each night or only prizes at the end?

Q4: How much will it cost to enter?

Q5:
    Each battle will be a quiz of 10 rounds (6 questions each)...but some of the rounds will be different to anything you've seen in a pub quiz before. (Video rounds, audio rounds, live rounds - not gunfire, etc)
    Will this be an interactive round or something cringey? I like quirky rounds, helps eliminate cheaters with internet access.

Q6: What night are you thinking off running this? ...... just re-read the posting again and I noticed Monday. Doh, that rules me out unfortunately. I fight crime every monday night and Commissionor Gordon wouldn't be happy if I didnt turn up. I will spread the word for you anyhow. Keep me posted if the night changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I would def try organise a boards team but we are in the middle of organising out boards footy team and we play Monday 7-8.

What time does it start?

And can you use subs as I'd miss two weeks in August cause going to Vegas for my stag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

To answer your questions:

Q1: Since you will be running it over the summer for 8 weeks and people tend to take holidays can the team have subs just in case some original team members are unable to turn up for all nights?

Q2: Have you considered running this around October onwards when the evenings will be darker and people are bored stuck staying inside for the night and are itching for something to do? it might increase the chances of a bigger turnout.

The Battle of the Businesses did very well in the Summer time a couple of years ago. Something about summer time and it being bright when you head out sits well with people. Let's be honest, apart from the odd summer holiday, people are the same place in the summer as they are in october.
    Yes. It doesn't matter who is there to represent the team. It can indeed be someone different every week. As long as the team is represented. There will be a weekly league table and you get 1pt for showing up, 10 pts for the win, 8 for second...etc...

Q3: Any idea what the prize will be? Will it be each night or only prizes at the end?

There will be a weekly cash prize of a minimum €100. Plus a seperate prize each week for the team. These are usually sponsored by local businesses and include dinner vouchers, cinema vouchers etc

Q4: How much will it cost to enter?

€5 per head, teams of four = €20

Will this be an interactive round or something cringey? I like quirky rounds, helps eliminate cheaters with internet access.

Cheating is very difficult in this quiz for a couple of reasons.

1. The visual rounds...you can't really google them. Same with the audio snippet rounds. There is a round where there are 6 pictures of places in waterford city...not easy to google them either. Also, the host will be walking amongst the crowd with a radio mic - hard to hide the cheating. There's only so many times you can slip off to the loo with your phone. Oh and I don't think there's great phone coverage in the basement bar, which could be handy. The interactive rounds in the past have included

1. Treasure hunts - These actually take place outside of quiz hours but work towards your overall score. Clues are sent via sms.

2. One on one battles - representatives from each team take centre stage to answer questions on the hot spot!

What night are you thinking off running this? ...... just re-read the posting again and I noticed Monday. Doh, that rules me out unfortunately. I fight crime every monday night and Commissionor Gordon wouldn't be happy if I didnt turn up. I will spread the word for you anyhow. Keep me posted if the night changes.

I liked monday for this as I think it's a decent night to go out early for a few. If that changes we'll let you know.

I would def try organise a boards team but we are in the middle of organising out boards footy team and we play Monday 7-8.

What time does it start?

Between 9 and 9:30. Never later than 9:30...usually starts at about 9:20 but we'd ask all teams to try and be in for 9.

Thanks for the interest guys.

I would actually be interested in this for the laugh,

I stangely love quizes!

A Boards team might be a bit of a craic if anyone else is interested and It's well after ball because the latest we finish is half 8.

It hardly deserves it's own thread so it abouttobebanned doesnt mind throw your names in here and we see can we get an old team going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Are all the questions in the quiz business related?

I love a good quiz but I like to know what I'll be getting myself into. I remember not doing so well in a Politics quiz before!

• Advertisement

Are all the questions in the quiz business related?

I love a good quiz but I like to know what I'll be getting myself into. I remember not doing so well in a Politics quiz before!

Oh lord no!

If anyone wants an example of a previous BOTB quiz (powerpoint) just pm me your email address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

ziedth wrote: »
    I would actually be interested in this for the laugh,

I stangely love quizes!

A Boards team might be a bit of a craic if anyone else is interested and It's well after ball because the latest we finish is half 8.

It hardly deserves it's own thread so it abouttobebanned doesnt mind throw your names in here and we see can we get an old team going.

Yeah I was looking to take part last year. Had my fiancee, myself and a few others lined up but for the very first week we couldn't manage 4 people. That didn't bode well so we scrapped it.

But I'd be delighted to take part and I know the future Mrs. nkay would as well so throw us both down. I'll be operating on the same basis as the soccer in that I can make it two weeks out of three.

How many do you think we need? If jonnyfingers was to take part we'd have four and me and him would make 2 out of 3 each. We'd need one more person for the two weeks when only one of us could make it. The missus would be able to make basically every week I'd say. What about you Ziedth?

Would 5 of us do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Well I wouldn't be available to take part this year, but I have previously and it really was a great laugh. The different types of rounds of questions are an excellent idea fro keeping peoples interest.

Ok do we have any interested parties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

Ok do we have any interested parties?

anseo! i am the quiz queen (though ill regret saying that!) ..i'm in a quiz team already but we're every Tuesday in the boat club....I'll send you a mail with business details:D

• Advertisement

Excellent...thanks snuggles.

By the way..one of the rounds is actually a popular thread on this forum ;)

yeah you can just me the questions and answer by PM..cheers me dear:cool::P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

spot the place?

south wrote: »
    spot the place?

between the two of us we'll get it out of him!:D

Yep...guess the Waterford location.

ah jesus your no fun..could have gotten at least a day out of this!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Ah bugger...I thought it was 'What John-Joe Connors Did Next'

Ha ha,

It took me a good 5mim to think of that.

We still put in a boards team Niall? I'm sure Mrs Ziedth would give it ago if we were stuck for people.

I just wouldn't be around for two weeks at start of august but apart from that I should be there every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

ziedth wrote: »
    We still put in a boards team Niall? I'm sure Mrs Ziedth would give it ago if we were stuck for people.

I just wouldn't be around for two weeks at start of august but apart from that I should be there every week.

Yeah sounds good to me. I'll give you a PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 cuppac12

Where can I sign up of this, it sounds like a great laugh

battleofbiz@gmail.com

Just send a mail to that address expressing your interest and you'll receive a mail back with details.

I tried to upload a quiz there but it's on a powerpoint file so is invalid.

If you want to see an example of the quiz just drop me a pm with your email

So have we a boards.ie team?

A nice mix of teams registered so far from small businesses to large businesses to people who wanted to come along and just attached themselves tenuously to a business!

The quiz starts this Monday June 28th at 9pm. (registrations rules etc - Quiz will start at 9:30 sharp)

Hopefully some of you guys can make it

Well you can't say I didn't try!

And people wonder why waterford's nightlfe is going down the swanny...

Advertisement