Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Emyvale GP - 23rd May

• 19-05-2010 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

It's the 3rd round of the women's national league so I presume the wags will be taking to the saddle but who else is in?

Sign on appears to be 1pm at the 'Tydavnet Community Centre' but I can't find any route details.... (more important, does anyone know if it's hilly?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

It's the 3rd round of the women's national league so I presume the wags will be taking to the saddle but who else is in?

Sign on appears to be 1pm at the 'Tydavnet Community Centre' but I can't find any route details.... (more important, does anyone know if it's hilly?)

I'm still undecided about whether or not to make the trip up. I emailed them the other day for more details:
    I assume you are driving from Dublin - when you get to Monaghan follow the signs for N2 in the direction of Derry.
    follow the road for approx 4 km and you will see a sign for Tydavnet on your left. Follow this road straight - go straight through crossroad and you will arrive in the village - the church will be facing you. turn left and the community centre is on your right side less than 1 km. It will be well signposted on the major roads by our club.
    YOUTH RACES AT 11 a.m.

SENIOR RACES AT 1 p.m.

COURSE START: TYDAVNET COMMUNITY CENTRE

VIA AMERICA CROSS, COURTNEY’S CROSS THROUGH MC NALLY’S CROSS TO LEMACULLA, TURNING LEFT TO FINNISH IN TYDAVNET.

COURSE DISTANCE – 17 KM

MAXIMUM NO OF LAPS – 6

I think that means the races start at 1pm, rather than sign on at 1pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Spooky - I was just googling around for details on this one myself and, finding nothing, I was going to start a thread.

So far I just have this report from last year but can't find a route map...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I am doing it too with the Orwell girls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Hopefully should be doing this. The hunger to do well in at least one A4 race is increasing. As is my regular hunger because the sandwich I was promised has not appeared yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭The_Claw

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Hopefully should be doing this. The hunger to do well in at least one A4 race is increasing. As is my regular hunger because the sandwich I was promised has not appeared yet!

Mods, this should be in the "Where's Dirk's food?" forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What's with all the enthusiam, it's bleedin' miles away, in Ulster.

Where was team boards when a couple of us were slogging it out alone in Wexford a couple of weeks ago, huh? :)

yes, I understand there is a ladies race, which explains Dirk's presence

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Lumen wrote: »
    yes, I understand there is a ladies race, which explains Dirk's presence

If you want Dirk to do well, put a good looking woman in the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

el tonto wrote: »
    If you want Dirk to do well, put a good looking woman in the break.

...or Martyn Irvine.

He can be my wingman anytime!

Nuts, no embedding, but it's worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ted9308

I am from the promoting club so feel free to ask any questions
    It's a rolly course..Lots of up and down with one longish hill to the finish.Race starts at 1p.m sharp.There will be seperate races for a1's and 2's..a3's..a4's..womens and finally underage races(which take place at 11 and it is a round of the national league..The surface is very good i was on the course earlier and it gives a good weekend.distances are 65 miles, 52 miles,41 miles and 41 miles.
    What's with all the enthusiam, it's bleedin' miles away, in Ulster.
    It is approximately an hour and 20 from dublin not far.

• Advertisement

Sounds good Ted, looking forward to it. Do you happen to have any mapmyride or bikeroutetoaster links to the course?

Thanks Ted, much appreciated. Lots of 'rolling hills' just what I like to hear... :rolleyes:
    ted9308 wrote: »
    It is approximately an hour and 20 from dublin not far.

...there you go Dirk (sure it'd probably take u longer than that to find the phoenix park) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

Did this race 2 years ago, its a really nice course and very well organised, well worth the trip up. Best of luck to all that are going to ride it, im out this weekend. Skeff

*bump*

See you guys and ladies there?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm in.

50/50 right now.

Martyn Irvine won the A1/A2 race.

Niceonetom 6th in A4.

It was hot!!!!
    I got burnt.
    I DNF'd. Got caught behind a crash and was too hard to get back on, only completed 2 laps out of 4 .. just 35km, I was just too hot to keep up on my own.
    Well done to N.O.T :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Full results up now on Irishcycling.com. Don't know why they stopped listing A4 at 5. Well done to Tom on his first open race points.

• Advertisement

28 degrees..it was very very warm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

2. Robert Anderson (Juiced Orchard Wheelers)
    That's pretty blatant, don't ya think?

robert anderson is a mad wee lad..won the under 16 race before he done the a4 race!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

NOT - season shaping up well for you. Chapeau again. Happy for you. Keep it up.

Race report or it didn't happen!

4635203340_79f557aa8f.jpg

What better way to wind down after a race than a nice cigar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

This race report got a bit long. Feel free to tell me to "get a blog" in lieu of reading it...

A really good race. Extremely well run by the club, great route, great road surface, great marshalling, great atmosphere... great weather. It was, according to Garmin, 30.5 degrees in the carpark. As an Irishman, I become concerned when it approaches 25, and become thoroughly unreasonable if it gets above 28.

I was sweating just standing there, I had no idea what would happen when hostilities commenced. For the first time I had two full 750ml bottles on the bike, both with torq energy drink. That was a mistake. It's hard enough to get enough fluid into myself in a race without having to contend with the gag reflex that blood-warm pink-grapefruit torq gave. I now know that when it gets that hot, I need water, even if it means having to suffer gels instead of energy drink.

The race itself was good, though some of that early season nervousness seemed to have returned to the A4s. It was all a bit messy and random braking was rife. I think the heat made for a slightly lazier pack than usual, and any attempts to go off the front were half-hearted and came back without the bunch really having to respond. I certainly had no intention of trying anything heroic. As the race went on I worked my way up to the front part of the bunch, usually making up places on the upslopes of the many little undulations. It was hot thirsty work, but I never felt the pace was too much, if anything it was a bit low. My avgHR was a good bit lower than it has been in SS for the club races. Having established that the heat wouldn't kill me, and that the uphill finish actually suited me I decided to give it a go.

I tried to get myself into the first part of the group for the last corner (about 2.5km from the end). Unfortunately everyone else had the same idea and I actually came out of the corner well away from the front. It took a lot of effort to get back to the from half of the group, and I paid for that. Once we got onto the last 1km drag I was totally boxed in. I had the legs, but nowhere to go. I'd almost given up on even being able to go for the sprint when it kicked off, but once i saw the guys at the front start winding it up a rush of blood to the head caused me to throw my self up the left hand gutter and get into some space. If I'd had the bottle/gumption to do that a little earlier I think I could have done better.

Still, the lowest counted place in the lowest cat, and I'm delighted with it. I wasn't 100% sure I actually had placed though. It was confirmed, and I got my envelope. Cash money baby!

Do I actually get points for 6th? I thought is was only for 1st ,2nd, 3rd? Can I get points on a day licence anyway?

niceonetom wrote: »
    Do I actually get points for 6th? I thought is was only for 1st ,2nd, 3rd? Can I get points on a day licence anyway?

According to the rules:

(a) In road races, up 60km, points to be awarded 3-2-1
    (b) In road races over 60km and up to 100km, points to be awarded: 6-5-4-3-2-1

If this was a 65km race then you should get a point, which should be held on your record and transferred to your full licence if you get one this year.

Worth checking with C.I. though.

Congrats anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Just saw this album posted on twitter:

http://pix.ie/georgief/album/377582

• Advertisement

Myself and Tom's arses (numbers 98 and 29 respectively):

05C1B43AF67E4225AFB03CAF4DCE7901-500.jpg

Godihatedehills (in Leinster kit, fourth from left):

A3F8EAD1FE504524B52FA3736D296263-500.jpg

The Crunch:

A8F9BB28822040A1ABDF3CD4B1D422E0-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

The Crunch:

A8F9BB28822040A1ABDF3CD4B1D422E0-500.jpg[/QUOTE]

Excellent photographer!

Here I am at the back ... the dot with a red helmet. Trying to get back in the bunch after getting out of the bushes I landed in in an attempt to avoid a crash...

F04F65D8F6D84CDB89D22F0C4ADD1DC4-500.jpg

The Crunch wrote: »
    Excellent photographer!

You'd swear she fancied you or something;)

I agree Georgie is a brilliant race photographer.

• Advertisement

That's a brilliant photo.
    F04F65D8F6D84CDB89D22F0C4ADD1DC4-500.jpg

Advertisement