Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike destroyed need new frame

• 19-05-2010 10:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Hi all i was out on the bike [Giant TCR Advanced 2010 carbon frame] at the weekend and had a head on collision with a car as i was coming down the Sally Gap [ my fault] and was flung into the ditch and the bike ended up been destroyed the fork is cracked and the frame is cracked also, but im lucky to be alive with only cuts and bruises on my face [ somebody was looking down on me] a big thanks to my friends and the cyclists that stoped to help me

Anyway im looking at some new frames im looking at a replacement Giant TCR Advanced frame but im waiting to see if i can get a good price on this

Im also looking at the Planet X carbon SL road frame

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRPXPCR/planet-x-pro-carbon-road-frame

I know i have to buy the forks and bits and pieces but the price adds up to about 600e

Any advice on this frame

Con

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sorry to read of your accident. Does Giant have a crash replacement policy?

Similar thread here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭jag con

Thanks Lumen im waiting to see if They do have a replacement policy
    But if not i dont know if i could afford a new Giant frame at the moment but we will see

Im just looking at options and really trying to see what is the difference between the Giant frame and the Planet X frame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have the Planet X as do many others on this forum. I think it is a very good bike. Very light for the money. I have also ridden Trek carbon and my current summer/race bike is a Litespeed Archon. The Planet X would be up there IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

now that the serious posts are out of the way... pics or gtfo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

@Con

I'm at this time trying to sell an Orbea frame, fork + Seatpost if that is of any interest.

Ad here
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=214497

And considering previous dealings and knowing you, might go lower than I would for someone I have never dealt with as on adverts right now.

Its a 54cm frame ... let me know

Good to know you made it out safely ... something that breaks forks and frames and still lets you walk away can only be called lucky

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    I have the Planet X as do many others on this forum. I think it is a very good bike. Very light for the money. I have also ridden Trek carbon and my current summer/race bike is a Litespeed Archon. The Planet X would be up there IMO.

Thanks Blorg for your reply i am looking at a couple of options thanks for passing me that guys no yesterday im waiting to see what he has coming in
    But the Planet X seems good value

Im trying to figure out what is the difference between a Giant carbon frame and a Planet X carbon frame and is it worthwhile shelling out the extra for a Giant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

jag con wrote: »
    what is the difference between a Giant carbon frame and a Planet X carbon frame

The Price?

The Price?

Thanks Paul im well aware of the price difference

Con

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

OK, I was being frivolous!

I have the Planet X and it's a great bike. Hard to go very far wrong for about €500 frameset delivered.

I guess you've seen this and this where Giant comes out on top (but PX is the lightest!).

Glad to hear you survived the crash. Most readers here have probably had the odd hairy moment on that descent so would be interested in where and how it happened. I met one of those giant tree trunk trucks once at speed and almost needed new shorts after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭cyco

I'd echo the previous comments- you sound pretty lucky to me but do that route often and would love to know where and how it happened.

With the question in hand I would definitely not get the planet-x as a replacement for the giant. As far as I'm aware the Giant is known for it's stiffness whereas in my experience the planet-x certainly is not. HAving only borrowed a friends planet-x for a 100km spin with a few climbs i'm not an authority on them but the obvious flex around the bottom bracket was enough for me to cancel an order for one. The ride is more akin to a steel frame (smooth and comfortable) as opposed to stiff and responsive.

Saying all that, they have new frames which they claim are significantly better and they may well be. maybe the new one is worth considering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Personally I've never noticed this reputed flexiness and I would consider myself a sprinter. Seems plenty stiff for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

blorg wrote: »
    Personally I've never noticed this reputed flexiness and I would consider myself a sprinter. Seems plenty stiff for me.

My friend Martyn agrees.

Advertisement