Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lavender and Acer's

Options
  • 19-05-2010 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

Hi all, 2 different questions!

When can I prune lavender back? Its just starting to flower now so I'm not going to cut it yet but mine is gone quite woody and big, also, how hard can I cut it back without killing it?

Japanese Maple, will it do ok in a large pot? I have a large glazed ceramic pot (2'6" diameter X 2'6" high) just looking for something nice to be planted in it.
    I had a Cordaline in it but the harsh winter killed it!

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Hi all, 2 different questions!

When can I prune lavender back? Its just starting to flower now so I'm not going to cut it yet but mine is gone quite woody and big, also, how hard can I cut it back without killing it?
    You can cut it back after flowering, don't leave it until to late in the autumn as an early frost will damage new growth.
    you can go back to the green growth, but it is hard to get Lavendar to bud on woody tissue.
    Andrew33 wrote: »
    Japanese Maple, will it do ok in a large pot? I have a large glazed ceramic pot (2'6" diameter X 2'6" high) just looking for something nice to be planted in it.
    I had a Cordaline in it but the harsh winter killed it!

Thanks for any help.

It will love a large pot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Thank ya kindly:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

You can cut it back after flowering, don't leave it until to late in the autumn as an early frost will damage new growth.
    you can go back to the green growth, but it is hard to get Lavendar to bud on woody tissue.

It will love a large pot

this is my first year putting in lavender, it is now flowering, had not known it flowered this early, i will be keeping and drying flowers as they fade off, i know very little of this plant, only that it is very beneficial to all in a calming way

Advertisement