Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10-20mm Sigma Lens

• 19-05-2010 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

Being tempting to buy one of these for the last year, but they've always been too expensive. I've spotted one cheap now!

Does anyone have one? More so any pictures (more so of up close objects, cars etc.) taken with one?

Would you recommend it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I haven't used mine in ages so these are mostly oldskool shots I've taken. It's a cracking camera and I'm going to be using it quite a bit in the next few weeks!

If you can get it cheaper too, go for it!!!

3568798780_8a21b5a6c4_o.jpg

3419159830_50028fb885_o.jpg

3237115590_47c7e12461_o.jpg

3237115434_96e0ff081f_o.jpg

3236271871_42658842c0_o.jpg

3236270875_4037429fbd_o.jpg

3236271735_fac381ff28_o.jpg

You do get a bit of vignetting when stacking filters but I quite like the effect :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

http://pix.ie/pixbyjohn/1661988/exif
    I have one, find it good for indoor shots of rooms for auctioneer brochures mainly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Have one. Like it.

Plenty of examples of photos in here:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/388278@N23/pool/
    Or here
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma10-20/pool/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'd love to see a pic of a car close up at any of the four corners, close enough to incorporate the whole car and a bit either side... I would be mainly using it for Photography of cars, and I think it's the lens that gives the effect I want.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smurfie77/3733401597/meta/
    This is 10mm but a Tamron lens. Distortion at 10mm

• Advertisement

Infact this is the type shot I'm jealous of,

3413876059_804fe4da3c.jpg

(taken from another thread on boards)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I'd love to see a pic of a car close up at any of the four corners, close enough to incorporate the whole car and a bit either side... I would be mainly using it for Photography of cars, and I think it's the lens that gives the effect I want.

Thanks!
    Knock yourself out....
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/longshanks100/3705691917/in/set-72157606259818926/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/longshanks100/4061957961/in/set-72157606259818926/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/longshanks100/4062158629/in/set-72157606259818926/

Perfect stuff! If this one comes through under the €200 mark I'll take it, other than that I'll hold off!

Halfords in Limerick have one for the last 18 months, tempted to make an offer :P

Perfect stuff! If this one comes through under the €200 mark I'll take it, other than that I'll hold off!

Halfords in Limerick have one for the last 18 months, tempted to make an offer :P

Theres been a few floating around adverts.ie with an asking price of around €300. If you get one for €200 you've got a bargain.
    I know harvey norman are looking for around €450-500 for a new one, but i got mine for approx £250 stg from amazon.co.uk last summer

Theres been a few floating around adverts.ie with an asking price of around €300. If you get one for €200 you've got a bargain.
    I know harvey norman are looking for around €450-500 for a new one, but i got mine for approx £250 stg from amazon.co.uk last summer

IIRC the one in Halfords in something around €560 or €650, wickledly expensive in any case.

I'll see how this other one goes, price could easily fly up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

I absolutely cannot recommend this lens enough- I have taken so many unique shots with mine..... it's irreplacable in my collection!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

I'm always hawking the alternative, this one:
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=327&sort=7&cat=40&page=1
    I have it, I love it. Very solid, and f4 throughout is a 'bit' better than the Sigma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Is this a different Halfords to the "orange" Halfords? With car accessories and stuff....?

It's a very tempting lens for sure, maybe I'll save up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭jtang

agreed, its a nice lens, its a good alternative to the more expensive canon version. i love my 10-20mm sigma for doing stitched landscape panoramas.

Prenderb wrote: »
    Is this a different Halfords to the "orange" Halfords? With car accessories and stuff....?

It's a very tempting lens for sure, maybe I'll save up for it.

:o Harvey Normans :o Always get the two mixed up!

Sound lads, I'll see how the bidding goes :P

Well, the bidding doubled this morning by one bidder, so that rules that out, lol.

I'll have to keep looking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Think this may have come from that lens for me:

E6BB1BC24CF74A46A57FDA47895B1CA1-800.jpg

and this definitely did.

9E051BA8B840489183FA0B7075EDA8AE-800.jpg

It's a nice lens. I've had some fun with it in the past.

Calina wrote: »
    9E051BA8B840489183FA0B7075EDA8AE-800.jpg

It's a nice lens. I've had some fun with it in the past.

That's the shot I want exactly. I'll have to start putting a few pound away weekly. Likewise, if anyone see's one popping up used let me know :)

Edit: That's also an absolutely gorgeous Impreza, is it a 22b?

That's the shot I want exactly. I'll have to start putting a few pound away weekly. Likewise, if anyone see's one popping up used let me know :)

As mentioned before, there have been a few passing through adverts.ie. If I see a potential bargain I PM you a link

I don't actually know to be honest with you. Although I haven't had so much time to look into it lately I was always slightly better at the supercars. Not so many Lambos or Maseratis for me to shoot though.

If anyone wants to give me free time to play with a Diablo, I'd be very happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Arches don't look wide enough to be a 22b to me. Looks like a two door alright though

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Arches don't look wide enough to be a 22b to me. Looks like a two door alright though

True that, nice car though.

I'm assuming one of these would be worth €300?

Edit: the lens! not the car :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

I have been looking for a sigma 10-20 mm for a while now.
    Anytime they are on adverts there is alot of people bidding.
    Seems they dont go below 300 euro for second hand ones.
    If anyone is selling let us know here first.
    Maybe we could buy a number of them new in bulk and get a discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

floydmoon1 wrote: »
    Maybe we could buy a number of them new in bulk and get a discount.

Where ??? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

I love my Sigma 10-20mm lens, took my personal favourite shot with it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gareth_p/2771223719/

Well... My wallet is a good bit lighter :(:p:D

Went shopping, did you?

I did, spur of the moment as usual. Didn't get much time to use it yesterday, but so far I'm delighted to say the least!

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cameras/1330908

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

I did, spur of the moment as usual. Didn't get much time to use it yesterday, but so far I'm delighted to say the least!

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cameras/1330908

Doh! I just emailed him about that 10 mins ago. They don't hang around for long do they!

• Advertisement

golfman wrote: »
    Doh! I just emailed him about that 10 mins ago. They don't hang around for long do they!

Seemingly not, all the ebay ones are bid on alot and he had a good bit of interest! Early bird catches the worm and all that!

102010.jpg

10208.jpg
    10207.jpg
    10209.jpg
    10206.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Nice work Limerick man - getting to grips with the new toy?

Did you go to the E30 big meet recently?

Would have been nice to have had the lens at it.

P.S. Longshanks100 - I absolutely love your stuff.

I had to look at those pics at least 3 times to figure out if you had a DIY rig set up for some cool motion pics. Turns out its the wooden eves from the neighbours gable wall :o

2 Sweet cars. Looking forward to more pics

oh & cheers mrboswell

mrboswell wrote: »
    Nice work Limerick man - getting to grips with the new toy?

Did you go to the E30 big meet recently?

Would have been nice to have had the lens at it.

Thanks lads

Ya I was up at the meet alright, didn't take many photos though, spent most of my time looking around the other 30's as I haven't seen many in person.

I've been taking a few shots, nothing worth while as of yet. It's coming in very handy though, loving the lens already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Thanks lads

Ya I was up at the meet alright, didn't take many photos though, spent most of my time looking around the other 30's as I haven't seen many in person.

I've been taking a few shots, nothing worth while as of yet. It's coming in very handy though, loving the lens already!

Keep at it!

I missed the meet - I had a mint 316i touring that was stolen and a mint 318is with 72K miles that I wrote off about 3 months ago so they have my heart broken!

Brother in law, has a red M3 which was at the meet that he wants me to take pics of. When I get round to it I'll post pics although the widest that I have is 16mm so I won't quite get the same effect.

• Advertisement

mrboswell wrote: »
    Keep at it!

I missed the meet - I had a mint 316i touring that was stolen and a mint 318is with 72K miles that I wrote off about 3 months ago so they have my heart broken!

Brother in law, has a red M3 which was at the meet that he wants me to take pics of. When I get round to it I'll post pics although the widest that I have is 16mm so I won't quite get the same effect.

I may have pictures of it, but nothing special lol. The lens came in very handy taking pics of the interior of the BMW, happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Here's some car shots from my 10-20 from Durrow last year:

3455524783_767f568439_b.jpg

3455314747_f7a1eefc60_b.jpg

3456229590_146e37836b_b.jpg

Advertisement