Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa gone to Barca

• 19-05-2010 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭

ssn are reporting the deal has been done 40m euros

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Villa and Messi...

/drool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Barca scare me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lol

barca have more money than sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Ibrahimovic could easily be shown the door now. I doubt he'll like playing second fiddle to Villa. That is some attacking option tho: Villa and Messi in the one team............... NIIIIIIIICE...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

If I was ibrah I'd be worried.

Alot of talk on numerous threads of a villa, messi ibra combination.

But dont see that happening and Ibra may have mad himself another nice flop move : /

Headshot wrote: »
    lol

You not think he's worth it?

Injury free, he'll probably net 30 league goals.

Ibra + €? for Fabregas next ???

Dream team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't see Arsenal wanting Ibrahimovic or him wanting to go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Unless they shore up the defense, they won't really have progressed as a team, Villa or no Villa

lol

If it was some joker like Adebayor, or Benzema or someone like that, Id be inclined to agree. But for Villa?

Anyway, your anti Barca agenda has been very apparent for sometime now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyway he's a great player, good signing and one that should definately see the end of that waster Ibrahimovic. That deal involving him and Etoo and the cash must go down as one of the worst high profile move in recent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

lol

They've just signed one of the best finishers in world football, to compliment the most creative attack in world football. It's completely sensible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Barca are already a fomidable team..... This is just gonna be carnage for the oppositon next season.

flanzer wrote: »
    Unless they shore up the defense, they won't really have progressed as a team, Villa or no Villa

How can they shore up the defence any more? Barca have conceded 94 goals in the last 2 seasons in all competitions. better back up at right full is all thats needed as Puyol cannot be expected to do that much more as he gets older.
    Frisbee wrote: »
    Barca scare me

Barca, Chelsea and Real will be the favourites for next years CL. I would be inclined to say Chelsea will do it though. They are on a mission.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You not think he's worth it?

Injury free, he'll probably net 30 league goals.

Dream team.
    not talking about that, im talking about barca buying him last season when he was also available instead of paying like 70m on a flop
    more money than sense
    gimmick wrote: »
    If it was some joker like Adebayor, or Benzema or someone like that, Id be inclined to agree. But for Villa?

Anyway, your anti Barca agenda has been very apparent for sometime now :)

anti barca ehh, i grow tired of that, just because i say it like I see, you say im anti barca. This is why people particularly dont like barca fans, you cant criticise their club at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Barca, Chelsea and Real will be the favourites for next years CL. I would be inclined to say Chelsea will do it though. They are on a mission.

Chelsea barely got over the finish line this season. They impressed towards the end, but I've seen little that would convince me they can compete with barce. And now they've fallen further behind.

Who knows, maybe they can pick up a Torres or someone of that quality. Otherwise, Barce all the way, tbh.

rarnes1 wrote: »

Dream team.

We don't need Ibra.

We have Bendtner.

anti barca ehh, i grow tired of that, just because i say it like I see, you say im anti barca. This is why people particularly dont like barca fans, you cant criticise their club at all.

Criticism is fine, but only when it is well founded. Saying "lol" about any club signing a player of David Villas calibre diminishes any argument you have made. He is a tried and tested, proven goal scorer at the highest of levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

lmao @ Ibra being a "flop".

davyjose wrote: »
    Chelsea barely got over the finish line this season. They impressed towards the end, but I've seen little that would convince me they can compete with barce. And now they've fallen further behind.

Who knows, maybe they can pick up a Torres or someone of that quality. Otherwise, Barce all the way, tbh.

There is a hunger in Chelsea and I think Roman will splash the cash this summer after their success this season. I would not write them off for a second.

• Advertisement

There is a hunger in Chelsea and I think Roman will splash the cash this summer after their success this season. I would not write them off for a second.

I reckon Chelsea will win the league next year alright.

But I can't see past Barca for the CL now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I'm not writing them off, I just think they have a long way to go to catch Barca. This season they weren't in the same league as them IMO, and now they're even further away. But yeah, who knows? There are only a certain number of world class players for sale out there, though. And Barca just got one of them.

Criticism is fine, but only when it is well founded. Saying "lol" about any club signing a player of David Villas calibre diminishes any argument you have made. He is a tried and tested, proven goal scorer at the highest of levels.

if you read my post right instead of going in with guns blazing, you would of read "not talking about that, im talking about barca buying him last season when he was also available instead of paying like 70m on a flop
    more money than sense "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

If Barca sign Fabregas as well, they could line up something like this next season, there will be some cracking football if that happens. Villa will add that extra 10% that they have been missing this season without Eto'o.

Busquets

Xavi Fabregas

Messi Iniesta
    Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Savage signing.. It's going to be one of the greatest teams ever built.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

If Barca sign Fabregas as well, they could line up something like this next season, there will be some cracking football if that happens. Villa will add that extra 10% that they have been missing this season without Eto'o.

Busquets

Xavi Fabregas

Messi Iniesta
    Villa

Scary!!

lol

if you read my post right instead of going in with guns blazing, you would of read "not talking about that, im talking about barca buying him last season when he was also available instead of paying like 70m on a flop
    more money than sense "

You have lost me.

Besides, whether Villa could ahve bee bought or not 12 months ago is a different argument altogether. Getting Villa last year would quite possibly have meant holding onto Eto'o, which rightly or wrongly (wrongly imo), Pep did not want.

Villa is a great signing and can only be of benefit to the club as a whole.

Busquets

Xavi Fabregas

Messi Iniesta
    Villa

Iniesta is better deployed in midfield. In that you also forget about Pedro who has made his place own this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What makes me laugh is the amount of people calling Ibra a flop. He scored 21 goals and had 9 assists in 31 starts and 6 sub appearances in La Liga, Champion's League and Copa Del Rey.

And thats in his first season with a new team.

Villa should do very well with Barca. Personally I think he is only Valencia's second best player, for me David Silva is just an awesome footballer.

What is going to happen to Keirrison now? I'd love to see him in England but I think Fiorentina have a deal to buy him, not sure though.

You have lost me.

Besides, whether Villa could ahve bee bought or not 12 months ago is a different argument altogether. Getting Villa last year would quite possibly have meant holding onto Eto'o, which rightly or wrongly (wrongly imo), Pep did not want.

Villa wasn't available last year. Both Barca and Real tried to get him but Valencia resisted.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    What makes me laugh is the amount of people calling Ibra a flop. He scored 21 goals and had 9 assists in 31 starts and 6 sub appearances in La Liga, Champion's League and Copa Del Rey.

And thats in his first season with a new team.

Villa should do very well with Barca. Personally I think he is only Valencia's second best player, for me David Silva is just an awesome footballer.

What is going to happen to Keirrison now? I'd love to see him in England but I think Fiorentina have a deal to buy him, not sure though.

They do have a buy clause in the loan. Looks a great prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Frisbee wrote: »
    We don't need Ibra.

We have Bendtner.

How could we afford his wages? Not a hope of us getting Ibra, I've no problem with that either (although not too excited by the prospect of a Moroccan Bendtner)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Brilliant signing, couldnt be happier with that - proven goalscorer. Now just waiting on Fabregas to round off a nice little transfer season :D

You have lost me.

ill make it easy for you

barca spent 70m on a striker who wont be first choice if he remains at barca, which I dont think he will, while barca could of bought villa last season for 40m and saving 30m
    as for holding on to eto'o, he would be easy to sell, a player of his quality any team in the world would want him. Barca are just crap in the transfer market

he's a flop, why do you think they bought villa instead of purchasing him last season, very ****ing obvious tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Zlatan to someone with more money than sense...Step Up Man City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Some signing, and Fabregas apparently in the post too. They'll be some team, however it has been shown that building a team of Galacticos a la Real Madrid doesn't always guarantee results.

Still no denying it tho, they'll be a formidable team on their day.

• Advertisement

miralize wrote: »
    Savage signing.. It's going to be one of the greatest teams ever built.

lets not loose the run of ourselves here.....

That defence is still pretty rubbish

ill make it easy for you

barca spent 70m on a striker who wont be first choice if he remains at barca, which I dont think he will, while barca could of bought villa last season for 40m and saving 30m
    as for holding on to eto'o, he would be easy to sell, a player of his quality and team in the world would want him

he's a flop, why do you think they bought villa instead of purchasing him last season, very ****ing obvious tbh

Barca didn't spend 70million. Villa wasn't available last season and they did try to sign him. Eto'o was out on contract after that year and was disruptive.

Ibra is clearly not a flop, his record in his first season speaks for itself tbh.

ill make it easy for you

Please do not talk down to me.

valencia would not have sold last season for €40m. Barca were not goinghto go any higher than the €45m offered (I think an offer was made anyway)
    as for holding on to eto'o, he would be easy to sell, a player of his quality any team in the world would want him. Barca are just crap in the transfer market

No doubt there was many bids, but Eto'o was only going to move to a certain type of club. Rich and successful with the prospect of immediate success. Not too many clubs fit that criteria.

People said the same of henry after his first season. Sure, he could have been better, but he could have been far, far worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I showed his stats right there which are not the stats of a 'flop'.

And going by your reasoning they got rid of Eto'o last year because he was a flop?

If they don't sell Ibra are you still going to persist with your opinion that he was a flop?

Injury got in his way and he still beat the 20 goal mark, if he had played the same minutes as Messi going on his stats he would have had 27 goals and 14 assists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

ill make it easy for you

First off, Villa wasnt available last season. Ibra hasnt shined this season, that is obvious but there is huge potential there. It was his first season in a new League. He could very well improve massively next season and what a second striker to have. I can see them being rotated next season which is fantasy stuff for Barca to have 2 of the best strikers in the world.

Barca dont have to be brilliant in the transfer market as unlike other clubs like Man Utd, Real Madrid etc. most of their players come through the youth system so they avoid having to buy their entire team which in turn saves them millions. Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Pedro etc cost them NADA. Saves them having to spend millions on duds like Berbatov, Anderson, Tosic, Carrick etc etc.

• Advertisement

Please do not talk down to me.

:pac:

valencia would not have sold last season for €40m. Barca were not goinghto go any higher than the €45m offered.

link ?

if that's true im sure barca could of done a money plus cash deal

No doubt there was many bids, but Eto'o was only going to move to a certain type of club. Rich and successful with the prospect of immediate success. Not too many clubs fit that criteria.

how do you know what clubs came in for eto'o, Man utd were strongly linked with him

People said the same of henry after his first season. Sure, he could have been better, but he could have been far, far worse.

ibra is on the bench, started ahead of him is a 19yr old, who is a great talent but shouldnt be starting ahead of a 70m player
    Well I showed his stats right there which are not the stats of a 'flop'.

And going by your reasoning they got rid of Eto'o last year because he was a flop?

If they don't sell Ibra are you still going to persist with your opinion that he was a flop?

Injury got in his way and he still beat the 20 goal mark, if he had played the same minutes as Messi going on his stats he would have had 27 goals and 14 assists.

stats to win an argument eh , bloody hell

by that reasoning, your joking right, iirc eto'o wanted more money and barca werent going to pay up so he left for pastures new and is in the CL and on for a treble. One thing for sure if he was still at barca they would be way better than ibra

ibra is on the bench, started ahead of him is a 19yr old, who is a great talent but shouldnt be starting ahead of a 70m player

Form should dictate that, not a price tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Barca are planning on playing Villa on the left with Ibra up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

ill make it easy for you

there is so much wrong with this

barca didnt spend €70m on Zlatan. End of story

Eto'o was not easy to sell. He is on a reported €6m a year. In the world, there are a very few clubs who could pay that.

Man united - maybe, but wouldnt pay that.
    Chelsea - Could have afforded it.
    City - but he wouldnt join
    Inter - Could have afforded it
    Madrid - Barca wouldnt sell to them.

So infact there were two clubs realistically he could have gone to. Not easy to sell at all.

Most in barcelona saw it as a bonus last summer that they got Zlatan AND were able to get someone to take Eto'o off their hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

TheDoc wrote: »

Those damn Spaniards - great going forward but shakey at the back

gustavo wrote: »
    Those damn Spaniards - great going forward but shakey at the back

I'd start getting worried if they signed some quality centre halfs and some decent defending full backs.

Its no new proposition to opponents with Villa in the team. They still need to find a way to stifle the attacking play, but can hold out hope to exploit a weak back line.

It also has to be brought up about Bojan, for me he is on borrowed time, hasnt impressed me anytime I have seen him, and Villas arrival must throw him further down the pecking order, and wtih Pedro putting in a good shift last term, he must be one player Pep might be looking to cash in on.

Potential and youth, two combinations that can net you alot of profit.....

Then Barcelona must still be wary of what happend with Fabragas and ( that centre half they have , ex-united, always forget his name)

Selling off, wanting back, paying more. They might hold onto Bojan for another season then make a call, but he doesnt look up to much, anytime i see him his finishing leaves alot to be desired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭HHH

Looks like a serious signing for barca.
    They've got so many options upfront now. I hope pedro still gets a look in. He's been great this season. Maybe should be spending more of their transfer budget on shoring up their defence tho. Possibly adding a top class defensive midfielder too. Signing Cesc is not the answer for that problem either...

Form should dictate that, not a price tag.

so he has been ****e for the majority of the season so that makes him a flop no ?
    gustavo wrote: »
    Barca are planning on playing Villa on the left with Ibra up front

so they are playing one of the best strikers in the world out of position ?
    seriously ? and where will pedro go
    event wrote: »
    there is so much wrong with this

barca didnt spend €70m on Zlatan. End of story

Eto'o was not easy to sell. He is on a reported €6m a year. In the world, there are a very few clubs who could pay that.

Man united - maybe, but wouldnt pay that.
    Chelsea - Could have afforded it.
    City - but he wouldnt join
    Inter - Could have afforded it
    Madrid - Barca wouldnt sell to them.

So infact there were two clubs realistically he could have gone to. Not easy to sell at all.

Most in barcelona saw it as a bonus last summer that they got Zlatan AND were able to get someone to take Eto'o off their hands

barca wanted ibra badly so they lumped eto'o into the deal, if they reduce the price tag of eto'o they could of used the money for villa

eto'o is a better player than ibra, quite simple to see that and getting rid of him is one of biggest mistakes around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

TheDoc wrote: »

I really would like to know where you're getting your information from cos Barça's defence only conceded 24 league goals this season, and only lost one league game and with four defeats in all competitions

This myth of a rubbish defence is well...rubbish

I cannot for the life of me understand why people still say Barca are dodgy at the back. Sure, they may leave in the odd soft goal, but show me a defense who does not make a comedy error every one in a while. As i mentioned in another thread, 94 goals conceded in 2 seasons in all competitions is not going to make a good argument to say they are poor.

Regarding Bojan, have to disagree there. I think he is an excellent striker as it is. Certainly has a lot to learn, but I would have have him in my team than anyone elses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement