Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally broadband

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

Went for the 3Mb package. Here are the stats today with interleaving set to low :D
    DSL Mode: 	 ADSL_G.dmt
    Speed: 	3072 kbps /384 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 	63 dB /31 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 	9 dB /12 dB

Pings to boards.ie are 32ms on average. I am an incredibly happy camper considering I am just a shade over 3.5 miles (yes 5.9 kilometres) from the exchange, following the cable along the road.

I presume the attenuation figure is maxed out on the modem. It should be higher than 63 but 63 is the highest value the modem will show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Zith wrote: »
    Went for the 3Mb package. Here are the stats today with interleaving set to low :D
    Speed: 	3072 kbps /384 kbps
    DSL Noise Margin: 	9 dB /12 dB

Pings to boards.ie are 32ms on average. I am an incredibly happy camper considering I am just a shade over 3.5 miles (yes 5.9 kilometres) from the exchange, following the cable along the road.

I presume the attenuation figure is maxed out on the modem. It should be higher than 63 but 63 is the highest value the modem will show.
    You presume correctly. The reporting limit on ADSL1 connections is 63.5 and 31.5 to be exact.

That is astonishing, I've only posted in a thread 20 minutes ago saying that the highest speed I've ever seen was 2048/256 on a line with as high as 61dB attenuation. And you've got a healthy signal margin too. That's quite a benchmark you've set for how fast DSL can go on long lines.

Count yourself lucky, clearly eircom make sure that ISDN lines are provisioned properly. Most people have their DSL installed on a line that only ever had to be good enough for voice.

I'm actually hoping to see if the line at home is capable of doing more than 1 mbit. The line is a flat 4 miles long, and confirmed by eircom as such (well technically they said 6.5km) But I have a signal margin of 15dB downstream. So there should be room for a speed increase by my understanding.

You presume correctly. The reporting limit on ADSL1 connections is 63.5 and 31.5 to be exact.

That is astonishing, I've only posted in a thread 20 minutes ago saying that the highest speed I've ever seen was 2048/256 on a line with as high as 61dB attenuation. And you've got a healthy signal margin too. That's quite a benchmark you've set for how fast DSL can go on long lines.

Came home today after being away since Friday to find this:
    Speed: 	 3328 kbps /512 kbps
    DSL Noise Margin: 	8 dB /19 dB

This is on the 3M package. I guess I am one of the first lines around here to be done. As more people get broadband my noise margin will get worse I suppose. For now I am very pleased to say the least :D

Zith wrote: »
    Came home today after being away since Friday to find this:
    Speed: 	 3328 kbps /512 kbps
    DSL Noise Margin: 	8 dB /19 dB

This is on the 3M package. I guess I am one of the first lines around here to be done. As more people get broadband my noise margin will get worse I suppose. For now I am very pleased to say the least :D

3328/512?? What package is that? Perhaps you've been immediately moved onto the eircom enhanced DSL offerings (The so-called NGN) seeing as your exchange is newly enabled.

Was wondering about those speeds but as far as I know I'm just on the 3meg bundle. The upload is a bit high though. Also the protocol still says adsl_dmt. Is ngn not adsl2 or something or is that just for the 24 meg products?

• Advertisement

I say "so-called" because eircom are marketing their revised ADSL service as NGN, when in fact it's the same old plain jane technology used in Ireland since 2002. The "NGN" plan essentially just means that your modem will connect at the fastest speed the line can take. Pricing is based on download allowances of various levels. I think the levels are 10GB, 30GB or 70GB.

It's hard to know why your line is like this, but perhaps it's wise to make sure you're on the correct package as what you ordered so you don't get a nasty suprise in a month or so. There's a chance that you aren't on eircom's changed packages but were put on an up to 7mbps package instead. The upload speed is not what you get with either the new "NGN" service or the current "up to 7 mbps" service, so it's a mystery to me.

I say "so-called" because eircom are marketing their revised ADSL service as NGN, when in fact it's the same old plain jane technology used in Ireland since 2002. The "NGN" plan essentially just means that your modem will connect at the fastest speed the line can take. Pricing is based on download allowances of various levels. I think the levels are 10GB, 30GB or 70GB.

It's hard to know why your line is like this, but perhaps it's wise to make sure you're on the correct package as what you ordered so you don't get a nasty suprise in a month or so. There's a chance that you aren't on eircom's changed packages but were put on an up to 7mbps package instead. The upload speed is not what you get with either the new "NGN" service or the current "up to 7 mbps" service, so it's a mystery to me.

I will check with them alright. Today's values are:
    Speed: 	3648 kbps /512 kbps
    DSL Noise Margin: 	6 dB /19 dB

Would rather keep my margin a bit higher.

[edit] Rang them, yep NGN enabled the exchange straight away. I was put onto the 7M profile but that is not leaving much margin for error so I got put back onto the 3M profile with low interleaving. Back to 3072/384 with 9 margin down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Here's my speedtest reults:

840686304.png

Upload is cat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

3 down and 512 up is akin to 3.5 down and 256k up by the old measure TBC.

I bet the line is overhead all the way to the exchange and all :)

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    3 down and 512 up is akin to 3.5 down and 256k up by the old measure TBC.

You've lost me there:pac: Old measure? Weren't the former 3 mbps packages before this "NGB" malarky set at 3072/284? Also, I thought eircom enhanced broadband meant a max upload of 672, not 512.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »

It's overhead for about 3.5 miles out of 3.6 total, as the car flies :)

Advertisement