Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NETGEAR ROUTER / NTL

Options
  • 19-05-2010 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone can help me with a netgear router/ntl issue I'm having. My NTL wireless connection works fine during the day, but at around 4.30pm it starts to slow down and from around 6pm onwards, and at the weekend, it just stops working. This would seem to indicate a contention issue but I've been in touch with NTL on a number of occasions and they're claiming that it's not their issue but it's a problem with my netgear router. When I called Netgear they ran some tests on the router and said it was working fine and that it's an NTL issue. So now I'm stuck between the two of them and neither will accept that it's their problem. To be fair to NTL they've ran numerous tests on the modem and anytime I bypass the router and plug the modem directly into my laptop it works fine, but as soon as I try to connect wirelessly again it stops.

Guess I'm just wondering if anyone else had this issue and if so how I should resolve it. The netgear router is four years old so I'd be more than willing to buy a new router if that was definitely the issue - can anyone recommend a good router if so??

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Long shot, but maybe a neighbour near yea turns on their wireless router about 4:30pm which is on a channel that interferes with your wireless network.
    Massive long shot, but try changing the wireless channel your Netgear is using currently :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

have you tried downloading the latest firmware for the router and purging it of any settings that might be hidden away in it somewhere.

Also have you tired connecting the laptop directly to the netgear as distinct from direct to the ntl unit? This might show if it is just a wireless problem or an overall router problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Did you check your wifi security ? Perhaps you have a naughty neighbour who gets home at 4.30 and is raping your bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Or maybe its just a contention issue, does a bus ful of schoolkids get back and start using FB at 4.30 ?

Advertisement