Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc Finance - Some advice needed & a Time table for part timers?

Options
  • 19-05-2010 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi,

I am working as a trainee accountant with one of the big four firms in Dublin & I only have one ACCA exam to go after which all I'll need is the remaining 1.5 years experience to qualify as an accountant. I am very interested in furthering my career as soon as possible and I am very interested in pursuing MSc Finance from UCD. I am working in the financial services audit, so mainly working on investment funds, asset management companies etc. And I want to go gain further understanding of the financial products as well as strategies. I would be grateful if someone could give me advice on this course, someone who has completed it or is pursuing it. Mainly things like career prospects, course structure, where can one go after this? Level of work/ effort needed (keeping in mind a full time job with a lot of overtime.) And anything else you feel would help me in making a decision.

As I am working full time, I have no other choice but to do the course part time, so I was wondering if someone could also give me an idea of the time table for part time students and how do they find attending classes, studying while working full time. Also, information about the lecturers & the smurfit business school would be very beneficial. I would not have 13/ 14K lying around to fund this course, would you think a bank could lend most of it to me? I am 22 and have experience of working with other small/ medium accountancy firms, as well as experience of handling my own book keeping/ accountancy clients prior to joining one of the big four firms.

Please feel free to give any advice you feel relevant. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Cooper07

Hi,

I did a the MBS (Finance) part time a couple of years ago and although they say it's part-time you still need time off for lectures during the day.

It was very hard to juggle work and college and I worked quite regular hours so to be honest I think if you have to work over time too it will be tough to manage and you'll definitely have to say goodbye to your social life for 2 years!

If you need any other information let me know
    C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ESSO24

I have completed this course and to be honest, I wouldn't waste the money. Your ACCA qualification and audit experience will stand to you a lot more and if what you want is to find out more about the products and funds you're auditing you would be better off just getting the books and doing it yourself. A lot of the subjects are very broad and you don't get much practical knowledge. I know there is also an Msc in TCD that may be worth looking.

I think part-time students had to attend about 2/3 classes a week (at 2 hours each, during the day).

Advertisement