Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friary Windows

• 19-05-2010 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Just heard last night that the windows in the Friary are in a dangerous condition and have to have work done of them straight away. It is going to cost about €20,000. I am sure most of us have been involved with the friars at some time even if only giving St. Anthony the few bob when he found something for us. Many of us have met the friars in WRH where they are the chaplains to the sick. I don't know if anyone is organising a fund raising campaign for them but some of you might think of putting a few bob in an envelope and dropping it into the Friary Office.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

When you say straight away, it seems you aren't joking. There's scaffolding being erected there this morning. Unless that's for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

deise4ever wrote: »
    Just heard last night that the windows in the Friary are in a dangerous condition and have to have work done of them straight away. It is going to cost about €20,000. I am sure most of us have been involved with the friars at some time even if only giving St. Anthony the few bob when he found something for us. Many of us have met the friars in WRH where they are the chaplains to the sick. I don't know if anyone is organising a fund raising campaign for them but some of you might think of putting a few bob in an envelope and dropping it into the Friary Office.

Are you for real - Why should anyone give the religious any money?

"St. Anthony found something for us" and pigs fly!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Yes Boss wrote: »
    Are you for real - Why should anyone give the religious any money?

"St. Anthony found something for us" and pigs fly!!

The Friars are totally different - they have a vow of poverty and have done a lot of good. they are not involved in any of the scandals that has affected the rest of the catholic hierarchy AFAIK

Br Columbanus (RIP) even fought in the 2nd World War and was involved in the Normandy landings

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Bards wrote: »
    The Friars are totally different - they have a vow of poverty and have done a lot of good. they are not involved in any of the scandals that has affected the rest of the catholic hierarchy AFAIK

Br Columbanus (RIP) even fought in the 2nd World War and was involved in the Normandy landings

Fair enough point!

However, I don't understand the need for anyone to take a vow of poverty, chastity etc. It all seems a little subservient to me!

The state should be looking after all its citizens, so that no external religious order can worm their way into people lives!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

yeah thats true,also remember reading at the end of the war he was one of the first allied soldiers to come across the concentration camp at bergen belsen i think it was,that must have been horrific

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

They are nice people all the same ,I heard from another friar ,well not really fought shall we say ,he landed after the beaches were taken.Wish them well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

deise4ever wrote: »

What do you mean dangerous condition? Like they might fall out?

I think I'll hide all my colleagues belongings, and tell them they should pray to St. Anthony. This will help raise some cash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Creamsoda

dayshah wrote: »

I think I'll hide all my colleagues belongings, and tell them they should pray to St. Anthony. This will help raise some cash :)

I love it!

Advertisement