Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

childbirth photos C&C

• 19-05-2010 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

When I was in NZ my sister very kindly said I could be at the birth of my niece and even bring my camera if I wanted. Very brave of her. I was concious of not getting in the way at all and so didn't use a flash but I also missed so many nice shots that I could have got. Maybe the delivery ward isn't the place for cameras but at the same time I think I would have liked a couple of shots from my births. Although I doubt I'll ever do this again, c&c appreciated.
    wholebirth1.jpgwholebirth2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

They look lovely but its quite hard to c&c when they are so small I'm afraid. I like the colour tones though and it does seem like you have captured the birth well, no goriness, it looks lovely from what I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

They look lovely but its quite hard to c&c when they are so small I'm afraid. I like the colour tones though and it does seem like you have captured the birth well, no goriness, it looks lovely from what I can see.

I have to agree with all of that.

Looks good, but hard to C&C with such small images.

I doubt I could do such photography. Fair play to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Personally I don't like the use of a camera In a delivery ward. That said your images are very well composed and pp is very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

yea, don't know why they're so small. Must be something to do with photobucket only allowing a certain size or summat. I've seen some really beautiful birth photos but I know these aren't great. Maybe I got in too close. Annoyed I didn't get proper photo of the cord being cut.
    It's like shooting for a wedding. Just loads of missed oppurtunities and no chance of getting them to do it again like with portraits. Don't know if I have the nerves for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I agree with Paul who agrees with StG. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I agree with Paul who agrees with StG. :D

Also, blue moons, pigs flying etc etc :D

They do look quite nice, I was tempted to bring a camera into the birth of my kid. Luckily common sense prevailed. 'Nother one due in a month or so though. Second opportunities and all that, although I don't think the midwives in Holles St would be really big on the father running around the place with an SLR ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I agree with EVERYBODY :D Except squareballoon, the best advice I can offer is stop using photobucket and look into www.pix.ie or www.flickr.com

_

Also, blue moons, pigs flying etc etc :D

They do look quite nice, I was tempted to bring a camera into the birth of my kid. Luckily common sense prevailed. 'Nother one due in a month or so though. Second opportunities and all that, although I don't think the midwives in Holles St would be really big on the father running around the place with an SLR ...

Oh go for it. I had mine in Holles Street, theres loads of room in those delivery wards to be moving, plus where I was, lovely big bright windows, could be very cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Oh go for it. I had mine in Holles Street, theres loads of room in those delivery wards to be moving, plus where I was, lovely big bright windows, could be very cool!

but you weren't taking pics :D .... were you :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

PCPhoto wrote: »
    She had the official rights to the POV pics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I witnessed the delivery of 2 of my daughters. Taking pictures was the last thing on my mind I can tell yis! :D [Trying not to feint being priority]

That looks a nice sequence of images, it tells a lovely story for the family. Well done.

PCPhoto wrote: »

lol, it would be lovely in there though, really big rooms! Mind you my mam was with me for the first and she loved it, I'd say if she had a camera she would have been snapping away, saying that I have a fair idea of what I'd have done to her all the same if she did.... Hmm maybe Daire should talk to the Mrs first.

Trying not to feint being priority

I'd attempt a quick riposte here but I doubt it would be more than feintly funny //

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Yeah, ok, faint ... I always get them mixed up.

I edited to make them bigger but alas it doesn't make them any better. I tell ye, childbirth is a fascinating/scary thing. Not sure I would have had any children if I had witnessed one before I got pregnant.:D
    I think Holles St might be a bit reluctant to have cameras in delivery wards since that eejit tried to sue mt Carmel for asking him to stop filming for a few minutes. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055497592&page=2

I edited to make them bigger but alas it doesn't make them any better. I tell ye, childbirth is a fascinating/scary thing. Not sure I would have had any children if I had witnessed one before I got pregnant.:D
    I think Holles St might be a bit reluctant to have cameras in delivery wards since that eejit tried to sue mt Carmel for asking him to stop filming for a few minutes. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055497592&page=2

you definately got that squishy-head-just-popped-out moment anyway. That's one of the more bizarre things I've ever seen. It kinda reminded me of some cartoon where a character gets squashed flat and then has to re-inflate themselves using some convenient pump/balloon/stick finger into mouth and blow. Very weird. And something I think the mother never sees, mores the pity. It went some way toward explaining the look of horror on my face for a while afterward :D Some things ... once seen ... CAN NOT BE UNSEEN !

you definately got that squishy-head-just-popped-out moment anyway. That's one of the more bizarre things I've ever seen. It kinda reminded me of some cartoon where a character gets squashed flat and then has to re-inflate themselves using some convenient pump/balloon/stick finger into mouth and blow. Very weird. And something I think the mother never sees, mores the pity. It went some way toward explaining the look of horror on my face for a while afterward :D Some things ... once seen ... CAN NOT BE UNSEEN !

that was the most frightening part. I kept thinking 'jaysus they're going to pull the head right off!' Lots more photographs that can't be shown. :eek:
    Here she is 6 weeks later looking much more like a babyDSC_9958.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

They're certainly interesting and real. Maybe not something you'd put up on your wall, but rather something to look back on at times from the baby book.

Not many people in the world can say the exact moment of their emergence into the world was captured - that's pretty special imo. And you did a beautiful job, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

They're lovely :D they actually make it look nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I witnessed the delivery of 2 of my daughters. Taking pictures was the last thing on my mind I can tell yis! :D [Trying not to feint being priority]

That looks a nice sequence of images, it tells a lovely story for the family. Well done.

I didn't get a chance to bring a camera into the labour ward with our first born as he was delivered less than 30 mins after we arrived at the hospital!
    Brought a camcorder to record the birth of #2 though :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

best contraceptive ever, this thread... :eek:

*shudder*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

when my son was born, the midwife told me to look in the corner as she didnt want to have to pick me up from the floor when i fainted, he he

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

When I was in NZ my sister very kindly said I could be at the birth of my niece and even bring my camera if I wanted. Very brave of her. I was concious of not getting in the way at all and so didn't use a flash but I also missed so many nice shots that I could have got. Maybe the delivery ward isn't the place for cameras but at the same time I think I would have liked a couple of shots from my births. Although I doubt I'll ever do this again, c&c appreciated.

I have to say I think it's an awesome set of photos. Very brave of the parents to let you do it and brave of you to actually do it. I'd love to have a set like that to look back on, now that it's a distant memory. I think your processing is excellent and the the B&W really suits them - tones down the gory colours. Well done and I think the parents will treasure those images forever.

Just apropos of nothing , but 'bangandpull' would probably be a more appropriate tag for this conversation :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

stcstc wrote: »
    when my son was born, the midwife told me to look in the corner as she didnt want to have to pick me up from the floor when i fainted, he he

F€ck, even I wouldn't want to pick you up stc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I like and I share your pain about being out of your depth. At my son's birth the doctor was mugging for the camera. :|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

hugh, damm right :-)

and it was a little 5Ft french lady too, he he

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I like the one with the couple, nice composure .

The ones with the baby, sorry maybe im a bit squeamish but a bit too graphic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

that was the most frightening part. I kept thinking 'jaysus they're going to pull the head right off!' Lots more photographs that can't be shown. :eek:
    Here she is 6 weeks later looking much more like a babyDSC_9958.jpg

Lovely !

• Advertisement
Advertisement