Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mazda 6 vs Mazda 3 - Help me choose!!

• 19-05-2010 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi,

Just going to test drive a Mazda 6 today

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/Mazda6/1.8-tour/201017197823380/advert?channel=CARS

What are peoples thoughts on this car? Also, in the last day or so, I have been looking at the Mazda 3. Is there much of a difference between the two in the following:

- Fuel Consumption
    - Size
    - Drive

If anyone has any experience with either of these cars, it would be much appreciated in helping me choose which one to buy.

At the moment, my assumptions would be as follows:

- Fuel Consumption (Mazda 3 would be better here)
    - Looks (Very similar but prefer the Mazda 6 slightly)
    - Drive (have to drive both before I can tell)
    - Tax and insurance (would be cheaper on Mazda 3)

Are my assumptions correct as per above?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Dools2007 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just going to test drive a Mazda 6 today

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/Mazda6/1.8-tour/201017197823380/advert?channel=CARS

What are peoples thoughts on this car? Also, in the last day or so, I have been looking at the Mazda 3. Is there much of a difference between the two in the following:

- Fuel Consumption
    - Size
    - Drive

If anyone has any experience with either of these cars, it would be much appreciated in helping me choose which one to buy.

At the moment, my assumptions would be as follows:

- Fuel Consumption (Mazda 3 would be better here)
    - Looks (Very similar but prefer the Mazda 6 slightly)
    - Drive (have to drive both before I can tell)
    - Tax and insurance (would be cheaper on Mazda 3)

Are my assumptions correct as per above?

Cheers.

The 6 is from a class above the 3, 6 is similar to a Mondeo/Passat whereas the 3 is similar to a Focus/Golf. The 6 is bigger, heavier and naturally will use more fuel to push it around than the smaller 3. On the plus side the 3 is a newer design than the 6 but doesn't look as good imo.

BTW that is very expensive for a 2003 Mazda 6 with 100k miles. Here is a higher spec, lower mileage 2004 Sport Touring for less money:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201019197931718

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Dools2007

bazz26 wrote: »

Thanks for your reply and the link. May take a spin up to take a look at it at the weekend, looks like a nice car.

Does anyone have any ballpark figures for what mpg one can expect from a Mazda 6 1.8L with a mixture of city and motorway driving?

Currently, my 1.3 Corolla does approx 10l/100km city driving and 8l/100km mixed but is an older car so I would imagine that even though I am going up in engine size that the engines should also be a little bit more fuel efficient which may lessen the blow a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Does anyone have any ballpark figures for what mpg one can expect from a Mazda 6 1.8L with a mixture of city and motorway driving?.

I do approx 1/3 city, 1/3 back roads, 1/3 motorway and used to get about 34/35 mpg from my 1.8 Mazda6 - very close to the official figure, actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

my parents bought a 07 (same model as 04)1.6 comfort, beautiful car, if in right colour can look very sporty. interior is really good for a jap car. only thing we've had to get for it was new tyres last months. overall, a very nice car to have outside the door

Thanks for your reply and the link. May take a spin up to take a look at it at the weekend, looks like a nice car.

Does anyone have any ballpark figures for what mpg one can expect from a Mazda 6 1.8L with a mixture of city and motorway driving?

Currently, my 1.3 Corolla does approx 10l/100km city driving and 8l/100km mixed but is an older car so I would imagine that even though I am going up in engine size that the engines should also be a little bit more fuel efficient which may lessen the blow a little.

You should be able to find some ballpark figures here: www.parkers.co.uk. Alot more accurate than the manufacturer's claimed figures.

• Advertisement

I do approx 1/3 city, 1/3 back roads, 1/3 motorway and used to get about 34/35 mpg from my 1.8 Mazda6 - very close to the official figure, actually.

Thanks for that Padraig, good to have some real life figures to hand. Wonder if anyone has an estimate of what they get from their Mazda 3 to compare???
    stevefinn wrote: »
    my parents bought a 07 (same model as 04)1.6 comfort, beautiful car, if in right colour can look very sporty. interior is really good for a jap car. only thing we've had to get for it was new tyres last months. overall, a very nice car to have outside the door

Yeah, think the metallic blue is the nicest colour to get this car in so will be keeping a look out for this colour when buying.
    You should be able to find some ballpark figures here: www.parkers.co.uk. Alot more accurate than the manufacturer's claimed figures.

Had a look at that site, excellent site for comparing different cars. Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

Hi There,
    I drive a 2007 1.4l Mazda 3 (Hatchback)
    Would roughly get 120km/10l.
    Would be a mixture of city/motorway/backroad driving.
    Havent had a bit of trouble since the day I bought it and lovely car to drive

Just seen this one as well, couple of years older and short NCT but a few grand cheaper.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1235020

Anyone have any thoughts on this. Looks like a clean enough car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well m8, i think 6 would be better option.

It would have buckets of comfort and looks.

Would MPG be very different? Which engines you looking at for 6 and 3?

In the end you would pay a bit more on petrol and tax for 6, but you would get a better packadge alltogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

Dont buy a diesel whatever you do. The car you are looking at looks a bit ropey and basic. Youll find better examples for less money with more extras like alloys sunroof etc

• Advertisement

freighter wrote: »
    Dont buy a diesel whatever you do. The car you are looking at looks a bit ropey and basic. Youll find better examples for less money with more extras like alloys sunroof etc

have to agree on diesel parts, mazda do make some lovely cars, but theyr diesels are not the best.

Just seen this one as well, couple of years older and short NCT but a few grand cheaper.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1235020

Anyone have any thoughts on this. Looks like a clean enough car.

That one above is the base Comfort model with manual air conditioning and no multi-function steering wheel. I also think it is expensive when you consider the one I linked you too earlier on is 2 years younger, better equipped and has some sort of warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Have a 06 Mazda 3 1.6L Comfort for over 2 years now. Good car and not too bad on the petrol, also very comfortable. Would get the touring spec though if you decide to buy the 3. It has more extras over the comfort one.

Well m8, i think 6 would be better option.

Yeah, think the 6 looks like a much nicer car alright.
    Would MPG be very different? Which engines you looking at for 6 and 3?

Would be looking at the 1.8 petrol in the 6 or 1.6 petrol in the 3 so probably not that much difference between the two engines. A bit of a step up from my current 1.3 though.
    freighter wrote: »

Yeah, have read all about the diesels in the Mazda 6 so am steering well clear of them.
    That one above is the base Comfort model with manual air conditioning and no multi-function steering wheel. I also think it is expensive when you consider the one I linked you too earlier on is 2 years younger, better equipped and has some sort of warranty.

Just considering all options but think I would go with the newer car alright. Would preferably like to get a 2003 - 2004 but would be more worried about mileage, service history, etc to be honest.

Does anyone have any other things that I need to look out for when viewing one of these Mazda 6's?

I am aware of the diesel engine issues (staying well clear). I have also heard to check the wheel arches for signs of rust.

Is there anything else that I should be looking out for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Does the 6 have the timing belt or chain?

As far as I know, the 1.8 petrol engine has a timing chain.

Saves a couple of hundred quid not having to have this done anyway.

Regarding Timing Belts, you can never trust anyone else regardless of what they say, unless you are lucky enough to get a car with Full Dealer Service History.

Just do the usual checks and look for signs of abuse such as body work, slipping clutch or gearbox issues. These cars are generally very reliable but even the most reliable car will give grief if abused or not maintained.

Just do the usual checks and look for signs of abuse such as body work, slipping clutch or gearbox issues. These cars are generally very reliable but even the most reliable car will give grief if abused or not maintained.

spot on. Mazda 6 newer had any bad rep so far, by the looks of it its prety good bang for the money, but you do have to make an ussual checks, like is it makes alot of smoke, how does it starts from cold, do all electronics work, hows the oil etc.

and dont be afraid buying privatly, just get someone who understands about cars, if you wount be able to check it yourself, on the ather hand i am hearing more and more horor stories about cars bouth from dealerships and garadges... :rolleyes:

Advertisement