Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fix mortgage - advice needed??

Options
  • 19-05-2010 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi all, I have 31 yrs left in mortgage.

Current: Variable rate at 3.23%

Been offered fixed interest rates of:
    3 years: 4.7%
    5 years: 5.3%

What do you all think??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,089 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved from Prices/costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Hi all, I have 31 yrs left in mortgage.

Current: Variable rate at 3.23%

Been offered fixed interest rates of:
    3 years: 4.7%
    5 years: 5.3%

What do you all think??
    Depends on who you're with and how much you owe.
    Banks are raising or thinking about raising their standard variable rates, has this already happened to yours?

The 3-year fixed rate doesn't sound too bad, gives you the security of no surprises and 3 years should see the credit crunch easing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

the fixed rates seem very high to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I would stick with the variable . If you can afford the fixed rate repayments - put the difference aside each month in a savings account - use it when the rates go up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭MRBEAVER

Fixed is very high. I would also take the variable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭elchanco

those fix rates are a bit high. I would advise fixing at 4% or under... if you can get it? Im coming off a high fixed rate of 5.7% in a few weeks & have the same dilema... let me know what you decide

Advertisement